Military Wrapped Springs With Lift, Group Buy

Two of the regular springs wrap around the bolts (front only?) to give additional support (why?). I don't know the weight rating or lift.

The weakest part of the leaf spring is at the front bushing where it turns. The fact that it has a corner causes a much high stress point but it also isn't supported by any other springs in that location due to the next one down ending a few inches shy. While military wrap springs don't get rid of that high stress point (basically impossible to since you need to put a bushing at the end somehow), it does add a second spring to that area effectively doubling the spring rate there.

That what I have recorded for you.

My '87 is currently getting restored. So I am looking ot move soon on a purchase.

Thanks, just wanted to clarify it since others are looking for extra arch in the springs.

On a side note, I'll be interested in probably the 3/2 later this year when I get around to restoring my '92 (this assumes my job goes how I want it to).

I'm out of the 3/2s. I don't want any lift since soa provided as much as I'm looking for. And new springs will be slightly higher than saggy old ones ;) Put me down for a 3/1 or 4/1 depending on which ones are popular with stock height and the wrap

Since Joe's last post said that to get a group discount, he needed a run of 10 springs. That's 5 people ordering 2 springs. I think there is enough for a 3/2 w/ double wrap.

If there is enough interest in another config, then he may give a discount for that run. You would need to get 5 members to agree to the 3/1 or 4/1.

The miltary will be on the front side which is where the leaf spring is most prone to fail. I don't think there would be enough room on the back side to even put a wrap but the rear rarely fails anyways. The military wrap serves 2 purposes the first being you get the support all the way to end of the spring which you could get by a 1/4 wrap so the main reason and most importantly for a full wrap is if the main breaks at the eye the wrap will hold it in place and you can still get the vehicle where it needs to go even with a broken main leaf on the front side. Also remember if you have the 3/2 spring from the factory you will only get a 1/2" lift out of these springs so this spring is going to be geared to those with a factory 3/1 system which is the majority of Comanche owners in order to obtain roughly 2" of lift.

What's the likelihood of another run coming up this summer? And/or what would shipping be up to west/central Canada? (I don't know where I'll be) I know most people do their building in winter when they aren't out enjoying the summer, but as a student, that's when I've got money, and I know I need new springs.

Okay so another question...If you only put the wrap at the front side, would you be able to redrill the center hole on a set so that it's rearwards of the center line in stead of in the factory frontwards (for lack of better terms)? Right now I have my springs flipped 180 to stretch the rear and doing just a rear wrap in this case won't benefit me really all that much short of just replacing these springs. Also, is there any price difference between the 3/2 and 3/1 and is there really any difference between them besides having one extra overload?

Thanks for doing this Tim & Joe,

there's probably a lot of us on the fence, not wanting to commit yet because its a tough time of the year for money.

So thanks for putting this option out there for us! :yes:

We are having a run of 20 made so there will be some extras for those of you on the fence or waiting for tax refund checks and usually the worst case scenario on any run is about 6 weeks. There are a multiple different leaf springs which came with the Comanche so everyones height will vary but for the majority you will be looking at roughly 2-3" of lift. I would like to send out 1 or 2 pair to people who will install as soon as they receive the springs just to make sure there are no adjustments necessary. I don't plan on needing any modifications but better to be safe than sorry so make sure to post here, emaill or call to reserve your pair and also let me know how quickly you will be installing. Price for this spring will be $150 each ($300 / pair) which is $70 lower a piece than the normal 3/2 and this one has the requested modifications. Shipping will vary depending on location but expect to be around $50 for the pair give or take $15.

I'd like a set of these as well. I live about an hour from your shop, located in Olathe, so I can drive down for a test fit to make sure they are what you expect them to be. That way you don't have to ship out and wait for install, we can know right off.

• 2 weeks later...

The leaf springs are ready to go and we have had a pair fitted to ensure everything will bolt up and the wrap won't be a problem against the hanger which it is not. For those of you not coming from the factory 3/2 system the center bolt is a little bigger so you just have to drill out the spring perch to 9/16" which shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes because with this heavier spring comes a little bigger center bolt. I can't give you a guarantee on height because of the different OEM springs Jeep built and factoring in your amount of sag but the least lift you will get is 1-1/2" and the most will be around 3" so I have the springs on the website but the only way to find them is to have a link as they are not listed under the normal Comanche section I have and they are $149.99 each and they are pretty heavy weighing in at 67 lbs each so shipping will range from roughly $60 - $90 for a pair depending on your location. So you can either call Joe (me) at 1-888-829-0619 or here is the link to the 3/2 with military wrap leaf springs and be sure to order quantity of 2 http://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/gsc-571.htm . Thanks for all of the input from everyone to help get this going.

Joe Wallace

www.generalspringkc.com

Just wanted to point out for those asking about the spring rate. I put the new one on the driver side, and with the old one on the pass side, with the shocks disconnected, I cycled the springs. I could not tell any difference in the two sides. My OEM springs are 3(1).

Shipping was $65 from General Spring to far West Texas.

I am 100% satisfied with the product.

Gettin mine next week, pretty stoked. From the pic posted by Biotex the springs look like bare steel, do I need to treat (paint) the springs prior to installation? If so, do I have to break the pack apart to get each leaf? I live in the PA rust belt.