-Nche Of The Month! September 2012

Well, as you all may know by now... There was a hitch in our giddy up this month. What the heck are we to do when left with no truck to post and half a month left? How about highlight half a truck. Let's tip the ol' Comanche stetson to our very own Neohic this month... For being weird enough to fill our void. Haha.

NEOHIC'S COMANSION

181851_270341939731343_2060733530_n.jpg

MODEL AND YEAR:

1988 MJ Pickup Bed

ENGINE & PERFORMANCE:

Depends on what's pulling it

DRIVETRAIN:

See above

COOLING:

Zip-open tent windows

ELECTRICAL & IGNITION:

Four pole trailer wiring back to the factory taillight harness

STEERING:

2" hitch

SUSPENSION:

SOA Mystery leaf springs found at a garage sale in 2008. Maybe from a Chevy something?

INTERIOR:

Custom cabinets running down both sides wrapped in soft automotive carpet

Ribbed carpet runner on the floor

Air mattress

Dessert camo curtains

BRAKES:

N/A

LIGHTING:

Factory taillights

Sylvania bulbs

WHEELS/TIRES:

Scuzzy looking 10 spoke turbines

Free 235/75s that leak... even the spare

MISCELLANEOUS:

All stainless frame

Kitchen "tool box" mounted on the tongue

Stainless water tank with fuel door spout

Best MJ story:

My best story about the camper has to be how I came across the WilderNest topper itself. I'm sure it wasn't even a couple months after one phone call that I found it... Rob knows what's coming too.

For whatever reason, I was talking with Rob on the phone and we ended up bouncing ideas back and forth about potential projects that had been stirring in our heads. The topic of camping came up and he mentioned how cool it would be to have a matching camper for your Comanche. It almost sounded like he already had the whole thing built in his head too... WilderNest topper mounted on an MJ bed ready to hitch up to at a moments notice for a nice weekend of camping adventure. We talked for a while about it and the plans just started spinning in my head too. I think I remember trying to change the subject several times in hopes that I'd stop thinking about something else that I just couldn't live without!

Fast forward to the already said couple months and a coworker of mine was on the hunt for a cheap camper to turn into a hunting shack. I had the pleasure of opening his eyes to the magical world of CraigsList! We sat down. I typed in "camper trailer". There it was... top of the list even not even listed for two hours! I clicked on the add and found that it wasn't even a half an hour drive from me... clearly this was meant to be. That minute I called the guy and we talked it over. By that evening I was the proud owner of a WilderNest with the dimensions for a Ford Ranger... but that was okay for the plans I had for it!

What I still find awesome was how well the whole project just fell into place. The topper was just about in my back yard, the bed had been sitting on a shelf for 14 years before I came along to find it, and the frame was constructed from free stainless steel. For the enjoyment I've gotten while building it, the one time the wife and I had it out, and the future outings that I get to call it home... I love my camper!

390679_172733882825483_1916798691_n.jpg

405486_200121803420024_1876382232_n.jpg

416835_204689546296583_1692603035_n.jpg

405473_214807098618161_821327846_n.jpg

524308_240742002691337_1987462512_n.jpg

431412_221833157915555_1441307683_n.jpg

270839_278647132234157_1060315366_n.jpg

600139_278646765567527_404538369_n.jpg

What owner loves best about CC:

I love how something can grow from something so simple into something so crisp, clean, and professional looking all to better help others find their way both here and around our site. Let's be honest, there has been some who absolutely love it and there are other who have some... should we say growing pains? Let's be even more honest... I've done plenty of nitpicking and have probably made my share of comments over the updated look of the site. I haven't said it yet, but I am thankful for all those involved. Yes... I am a creature of habit but, for the greater good, my belly aching is nothing more than just growing pains. I've compared the changes to Comanche Club as a '97+ swap in messages that it was a matter of taste and that it was taking something that had its issues and turning it into something unrecognizable from what it always was. Then I started looking around the site. At the time I was looking for more things to nitpick about and comment on. That all stopped in my head when I came across the What if You Could Build a Brand New Jeep Comanche? thread. That thread is all about taking the soul of the trucks that we love and producing an updated MJ as something fancy and new. Everyone who posts in that thread has a vision in their head as to what they think would make for a perfect Comanche. Whether it be a diesel engine, bigger axles, a more plush interior, or just a reintroduction to the world, it seems as though everyone on here would bring back the Comanche if they could in some shape or form. In a sense, that's what has happened here! There's nothing to say that there's anything wrong with old technology, remembering our roots, and appreciating our past. At the same time we can't stay in the past and let the world move forward without us. What better way to enjoy our trucks together than reintroducing ourselves as something fancy and new! I'd say that the new site still has to grow on me but I'm trying. With everything that has changed, the one thing that remains is everyone who makes Comanche Club what is and always has been. Thanks everyone! Thanks for always keeping the soul of this place alive and moving forward into whatever's next.

319755_278646375567566_2080211877_n.jpg

Thanks for letting me do this again.

-Ben

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, Ben. How I am sooooo utterly jealous of you sir. Of your work, your luck, and your skills. It would be one thing to have the materials, but with your welding skills and mad fabrication work, you have outshined anything that I could have dreamed up. I think it's the outside the box ideas like this that make the club so unique and interesting. As for your comments on the new site, I think it sounds like you are finally starting to come around. While the old site feels like the old tried and true MJ interior, the new site has a new feel, a smoothness, as well as a more functional core similar to that slightly familiar, yet new XJ interior. Maybe this month is a late start and a transition for all of us.

Anyway, back to the task at hand... Ben, attaboy for a job well done, and for being one of the only ones able to fill a half-month gap.

Rob :cheers:

Click here to view the article

Nice job, really awesome Neohic!! Welding is on my list of things to learn, obviously an asset to Jeep modification. I am lucky, I live in the desert, no rain and lots of BLM land. I can pull off the road, sleep in the bed of my truk with my dogs and fall asleep looking at the stars. I really like this site and I am looking forward to getting past keeping my truck running and start sprucing it up and....... possibly making it a rock crawler.

• kryptronic unpinned and featured this topic