MJ trailer hitch (group buy)

shelbyluvv

I am working with U-Haul to get a hitch produced. I need a count of who would be interested in buying one. The MFG will more than likely be Curt. The cost is roughly $300 for a run of 6 or so. The more that can be built will bring the price down even more. These will be DOT certified and will bolt on just like a stock one would.

Now is probably the last chance to get a new un-rusted/modified hitch for your truck.

Bo

Very interested, but still questions...

Is the $300 each? How many would be needed to drop the price by $50? $100?

What class rating?

How do you/we arrange shipping to diff states?

How is payment to be processed?

When could they be available?

To answer a few questions as best as I can. They should be produced as a universal setup to work on both the long and short boxes. They should also be class III rated hitches.

These will be ordered through a buddy of mine who is a manager at U-Haul and a SoCal NAXJA member. He will distribute the hitches from his facility to those who order to keep costs down.

If we could get 15+ hitches pre-ordered I am sure the price could drop to $225-$250 or so. I would love to get the price down to about $200.

If this don't work as a group buy I will more than likely drop the $400 to have on fabbed up from a local hitch place. I refuse to bolt a rusted/burned hitch on the rear of my truck. I will be towing my Shelby to shows behind the truck and my 70K org mile car is worth the $400 for piece of mind.

Will these hitches have short bed brackets, long bed brackets, or universal for the two?

no matter what anyone says, they are the same between the two.

I built a rear bumper for a shortbed comanche. it fit perfectly on a longbed comanche exactly the same as it did on the shortbed. there is/are no bracketry differences, and they are cross-compatible, with the only exceptions reguarding bumpers being any side skids due to the difference in distance between wheel well and rearward edge of the box.

How the hell does Curt not have a rear receiver for the MJ, but has a front hitch for it? :hmm:

The millions of XJ's would share the front hitch. It's a supply and demand thing. The handful of MJ's built compared to the handful left alive at this point.

I may or may not jump on this.

The factory hitch uses the factory bumper as an integral part of the hitch? Correct?

I want to lose the factory POS bumper so this may not be my option.

There was a guy who had a real nice bumper fabbed here about 2 months ago.....it rapped around to the flairs. I commented to him that I would not pull anything heavy with the receiver that was incorporated into the bumper.

He had it built assbackwards in my opinion.

You design the hitch first as the actual structure of the bumper and then wrap the hitch with facade of the bumper. That will be my approach.

The only thing holding me back is I need a tank for my mig.........brand new Lincoln 180 and no tank........just haven't brought myself to drop the $300 buck yet.

They have the pattern to make the hitch. It is a supply and demand thing that killed off production of them. For them to make a run there needs to be the demand for it.

No, I get that. But demand for a front hitch has got to be exponentially less than demand for a rear hitch, wouldn't you think?

Bo, thank you for taking the time to try and coordinate this. Picking up a new in box hitch would truly be a sweet deal. Do you have some sort of time line you are looking at? I ask because I am currently not in the position to buy more Jeep parts (wife and I are closing on a house within a few weeks). However, if you are looking at approximately a month out, I may be up to it.

They have the pattern to make the hitch. It is a supply and demand thing that killed off production of them. For them to make a run there needs to be the demand for it.

No, I get that. But demand for a front hitch has got to be exponentially less than demand for a rear hitch, wouldn't you think?

yes, but like said, they fit the xj as well. there is enough demand for those

Ya and something like 2 million more XJs have been built compared to our MJs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm interested in one now but I have a few questions since the last post was 8 months ago.

What is the progress on this?

Did this idea just hit a brick wall and went no further?

Are there still people wishing to have one for their MJ?