Bright sealed beam headlights?

Well four hours and $40 later.........ain't too impressed with the harness upgrade but at least I'm ready to a couple of serious lamps now.

I got a couple of Wagners from Napa some time back for the XJ, paid like $48 for them, advertized as some special blue light with extended reach or some crap, not. So I thought they'd do better in the MJ and I took them off the XJ after it got wrecked, then I thought I'd do the harness upgrade and maybe they'd live up to the promise, still not.

Maybe the Silverstars next, you guys swear by them huh?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have silverstars. I am not impressed. I see little difference over

what they replaced, and by the time they're covered with bugs

(which is about 10 miles of driving down here) they're all the same.

Perhaps I will upgrade the harness, but I don't expect any miracles.

I have silverstars. I am not impressed. I see little difference over

what they replaced, and by the time they're covered with bugs

(which is about 10 miles of driving down here) they're all the same.

Perhaps I will upgrade the harness, but I don't expect any miracles.

Upgrade the harness. I think it's more the miracle you're looking for. I installed just the harness on my wife's and son-in-law's XJs. Massive improvement.

Me, I ordered up Autopals off ebay for $50 delivered, and I had some 90/100 bulbs in the garage, so I did both the harness and the headlamp upgrade. I was anticipating upgrading the other 2 Jeeps from their Halogen bulbs to Autopals, but said screw it. They work about 30% better than the stock headlamps with only the harness.

Doesn't matter what brand the sealed beams are if there is not adequate amperage getting to them.

I used this kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-9003-Harness ... es&vxp=mtr on the Chief which had old crappy stock dim bulbs, the improvement was dramatic.

It has such a good improvement that I have decided to not replace the headlights at this time.

When one does burn out then I plan on replacing them with Silverstars.

BTW I was extremely happy with the price and quality of this kit as it being an import.

I have used the Silverstars as an upgrade in all the rigs, and have been very pleased with them. It is usually the first thing I replace when I buy a vehicle.

OTOH, I see exceptionally well in the dark...so the H4-type bulbs on other cars irritate me as 'too' bright.

Doesn't matter what brand the sealed beams are if there is not adequate amperage getting to them.

I used this kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-9003-Harness ... es&vxp=mtr on the Chief which had old crappy stock dim bulbs, the improvement was dramatic.

It has such a good improvement that I have decided to not replace the headlights at this time.

When one does burn out then I plan on replacing them with Silverstars.

BTW I was extremely happy with the price and quality of this kit as it being an import.

Your experience is the same as mine. Just do the harness and then decide if you wanna upgrade the lamps later. .

For some reason, as I get older, I find it increasingly difficult to understand why people who don't know or don't care to respond to very clear and specific questions are nonetheless willing to waste both their and the questioner's time responding to questions that were excluded from the original question.

And for the same reason I find it difficult to understand why people get so upset when you ask for the reasoning behind something. You stated you didn't want to do something, but gave no details as to why until asked. Then you criticism them for asking why. Maybe the question was asked for a reason so we can give you a better response as to what will work best in your wants/needs/desires. Maybe some of us have been there and are simply trying to offer advice (isn't that what you asked for?) before you spend money on something that you may/may not be happy with.

I simply was just asking why you wanted to keep with a sealed beam headlight. Regardless of if I think a H4 type conversion is better or not I was just curious as to the reasoning you had behind not wanting to convert. I see no need to ask a question on a public forum to begin with if your not willing to get different responses.

-Adam

But my question asked specifically what sealed beam replacement is brightest. That leaves the field open to "Sylvania Silver Star" or "GE Super Dazzler" or whatever else might be out there in sealed beams. Discussion of H4 conversions when the question clearly stipulates sealed beams is not helpful, it's off topic. I know the intention is good ... but the result is not helpful.

It's like when someone comes on a gun board and wants to know what would be a good revolver for his wife's first gun, and fifty people immediately suggest a Glock. What difference does it make WHY I want to stick with sealed beams, or why so-and-so's wife wants a revolver? It's a parameter of the question; the reason is immaterial.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:agree: I too have poor eyesight at night; upgrading the head lamps is no time to cheap out. The Silver Stars are slightly better than the stock sealed beams, but nothing beats the Hella H4 housings, IPF H4 bulbs (I use 85/55 watt) with an upgraded harness. And don't waste your $$ on the crappy Autopal H4s. You think they are okay until you try the Hellas then you wonder why you ever bought them.

I use Hella E-codes on my Passat. The sharp cutoff beam pattern is great. I can run with high beams on in the city and not get flashed. Have yet to upgrade the harness. But that $20 plug and play harness sounds like a deal for both the Comanche and the Passat. Think I will order a pair of them IF I can find that Ebay link again. I am 63 and it is getting harder to see at night! I need good headlights!

From an old post I did about four years ago. No changes or burnt out bulbs since:

X2. Here's how I did mine w. costs. Got the Hella 200mm H4 e-code glass lamp shells from Susquehanna Motor Sports ($34/ea). Then picked up from eBay four IPF 80w/60w H4 bulbs ($10 w. shipping, but you can used any wattage H4 bulb you want) and wired in a universal APC 4-lamp wiring harness w. relays (much cheaper than the 2-lamp, just cut off the extra two H4 sockets, $9 w. shipping) which fit my MJ perfectly. Then put in a separate fuse block mounted near the PDC on the right fender well and fused each headlight w. 20A fuses. Literally a night and day difference, and a highly recommended upgrade.

For some reason, as I get older, I find it increasingly difficult to understand why people who don't know or don't care to respond to very clear and specific questions are nonetheless willing to waste both their and the questioner's time responding to questions that were excluded from the original question.

I don't think the above has anything to do with age, but rather, personality.

Now, to stay on topic so I don't get a spanking - I have had good AND bad results with Silverstars. I replaced a set of aging sealed beam headlamps on a 1991 Mitsubishi and the results were dramatic. My good experiences with the lamps had me put a set on my XJ (whose original lamps were only a few years old) and the results were less than thrilling. In fact, the title of this thread is what initially drew me in since I am also looking for something brighter and was hoping for suggestions other than Silverstars. Although the OP is not appreciative of the off-topic comments, I thank everyone who put in their two cents for the H4 conversion as I had not even thought about that and now have a good base to begin doing my research.

I've never had a sealed beam unit that performed worth a damn. Ever.

On my last XJ, I used the eAutoWorks harness (now labled as Putco)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

or

http://www.eautoworks.com/Putco-H4--900 ... D7540.aspx

And combined them with autopal ecode headlights and 100/55 bulbs.

Knocked the socks of any sealed beam I've ever used, and its EASY to do.

When I do it again (and I will) I'll still use the harness, but switch to Hella housings and IPF bulbs.

Just tried to purchase this harness on EBay - the transaction was blocked by Ebay - "item may no longer be available" Suspect this is because of the recent floods in Thailand. The Corp. I work for has big supply problems from Thailand because of the floods.

Just tried to purchase this harness on EBay - the transaction was blocked by Ebay - "item may no longer be available" Suspect this is because of the recent floods in Thailand. The Corp. I work for has big supply problems from Thailand because of the floods.

In the post directly above yours I posted two other sources. Amazon direct, and eAutoworks direct. Both say the harness is made by Pimco.

How do they ship so cheap from overseas?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-9003-Harness ... p=mtr#shId

On another note, someone on another list I'm on said there is an aftermarket round head light header panel in the works?

Ever look at the header panels ... bare? The header panel is already set up for round headlights, what's lacking is bezels with round holes in them to fit the header panel.

I've never had a sealed beam unit that performed worth a damn. Ever.

I have. When I tried Silver Stars the first time I thought they were great as the were slightly better than the stock sealed beams. I also various US export Benz's that I switched out the headlight assemblies with EURO H4 housings, that was really great. So i tried it on the MJ with Autopal H4s. Greater than the Silver Stars, except they splashed light all over the road. The Benz's had the German Hella housings with the sharp cutoff dispersal light pattern. So I got a pair of those for the MJ with the HD harness. Truly great! I suppose the HIDs would be greater still, but I'm satisfied, for now. :D

So no matter what you have for lighting, there's always something better. Just upgrade until your happy if you have the $$.

I was looking at the painless harness, but at $130 I'm kind of balking at it. The putco one posted earlier is a more friendly price. My concern on it is quality. I'm not interested in some Chinese knock off that I'll have to replace anyway.
If you are looking for quality at $89 IPF makes a heavy duty H4 wiring harness, it is in my garage waiting for my current harness to die, but the old Bigoffroad harness (also defunct) has held up well for almost 5 years.