Junk Yard attack kit?

Automan2164

Just curious what you guys take along with you to the junk yards. I have a medium sized ammo box that can hold quite a bit of tools, and has never let me down. The problem is that it gets heavy quick when you have to lug it around by the handle up top. I usually look for a serpentine belt as soon as I get in, and make a shoulder strap for it. Toss a loop around the handle, tie a knot on the other end to keep it at hip level, and toss it over my head and across my body. The biggest drag is the box isn't exactly soft and usually digs into my hip, and everything is jumbled up in it. The box, and what I usually have in it:

302994_266737416697086_288340453_n.jpg

All the hand tools go into it, I carry my BFH and the BF pry bar. (Don't mind the emblem(Just knocking around in there), jack, drill, cables, or bits.)Part of the problem is that I don't have a place to put the bigger pry bar, and the hammer. So on top of the box, I am juggling with the two other carry alongs. What really gets daunting is when I am at a traditional yard without carts or wagons to grab parts. Once I had an MJ bench and all the black interior pieces in it, tool box, and all sorts of stuff I was trying to juggle.

What I would like to do, or what I am thinking about, is like a canvas messenger bag. Preferably some sort of a surplus bag, so it's made to take the weight of the tools, and have a good shoulder strap to get the weight up. I like the idea of a messenger style bag over a back pack because I could keep it on my shoulder and off the mud/wet/snow while still being able to rifle through it for tools. Plus, if it's a surplus bag, chances are it will be full of pockets, dividers, and compartments. Also, no plastic clips to break. Just a belt-style strap with a metal buckle.

In order to possibly get some more ideas, I wanted to see what you guys were using at the yards.

Rob :cheers:

I'd like to see some of the things that others have come up with as I feel like my JY attack kit is lacking. I don't currently have any pictures of it, but I just have a 5-gallon bucket with a variety of commonly used hand tools. Sometimes I will use ratchet straps to attach the bucket to a wheeled dolly, but most of the time I just carry it. I've used the dolly to haul out a Ford 8.8 rear axle so it's pretty versatile.

I take pretty much everything with me, but leave it in the van (some items like the floor jack are in the van 24/7 anyways); including the cordless drill and sawzall, full set of wrenches and sockets, my regular toolbag, crowbars, big hammer, etc. Essentially I triple the value of my van.

For walking in the yard I grab my leatherman, #2 phillips, med flat head, torx multitool, and small adj crescent. I can get at most small things with that stuff and head back to the van if it's something bigger.

My junk yard kit includes a tool bag, a portable socket set, and a second usually unwilling person. Its actually kind of shocking how many times I have duped people into helping me carry random car parts all over the state of maryland! :rotf:

While I have thought of the cart, I don't like the idea. Depending on the conditions, the cart would get caught in the mud, snow, junk... Plus, I like the mobility of just having whatever I need on my person when I am scouting parts out. Pete, I have done like you suggested, and just go back to the vehicle to get the tools, but that sucks too. Especially on some of the bigger yards I go to. I don't want to be in the back of the yard, or find something I know others might go for, and then have to trudge all the way back.

Rob

You have seen my big red bag and the smaller green one. I hate the big red one. It fits everything.... but with the major downside of being heavier than sin.

The green one is too small for the bigger tools, or the regular tools and small parts.

I saw a professional junk yarder awhile back with a light, inexpensive appliance dolly (one that would collapse if you actually used it). He had a 5 gallon bucket bungee strapped to it to carry tools. It was light and held quite a bit. Plus he didnt need to carry much.

It cost me a couple cigars, a couple hours BS and a couple favors but I got on a first name basis with the guys at the local P&P. Now I can just drive the truck into the yard whenever I go shopping. Before that, I carried everything in a .50 cal ammo can with a pair of vice grips being the most important.

it depends on what I'm going after to what i take. usually the common metric sockets, extensions basic hand tools. i have a tool bag from matco with a shoulder strap and a ton of pockets. gets heavy quick. i would suggest a book bag as they have 2 straps and leave both your arms free to carry yer booty.

I usually dump all the tools in one of those tool bags with the one big pocket and zipper on top. Some times I take two... Then they get put into the red wagon with any other stuff I decide to bring. Works pretty good for me.

• 2 years later...

Spent some time cleaning out my yard bag today and remembered this thread. I moved away from the metal ammo can awhile back after finding this Condor Tactical bag. It has tons of pockets for storage and tools, as well as a 'Concealed Carry' hidden pocket that is helpful at times for parts. It has a nice shoulder strap so it's comfortable to walk around the bigger yards with, and keeps me more mobile and be able to climb around without having to hold something. I put on carabiners to latch onto parts incase my hands are full with big stuff. I just hook on all the smalls and let them dangle off the bag. It also dawned on me today to use a couple carabiners to keep the wrenches in check. With them loose, it always seemed the one I was looking for was the last one I grabbed at the bottom of the bag. The bag also has a couple good spots on the end for some penetrant and a water bottle.

http://www.condoroutdoor.com/Condor-136.aspx

1979570_654344691269688_1740715862_n.jpg

Only things I left out of the picture are the ball peen hammer and my Mechanix Impact gloves.

Rob

We used to hit all the grabathons the junkyards around here would have,

$20-50 all you could CARRY out.

I made a 5 gallon bucket into a 2 wheeler with some wheels & a handle,

to wheel my tools around in.

I'd strap it to my back to carry out, but wheeling it around the yard saved my back while 'shopping' :yes: