Used Car Suggestions

neohic

i drive a 05 Civic (4cyl/auto) about 80 miles a day. its a super comfortable car to drive in with two people, but once you start to load it up it gets pretty cramped. mine is a 2dr, so i would think that a 4dr would have a bit more room. over the summer with the air constantly on, i got about 34mpg, now i have been consistently at or above 39mpg. i wouldnt hesitate to buy another one.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not one person has suggested a north american car. ---- what gives ??

:hmm:

I have had 3 Accords and all they've required [as stated above] is timing belts when the mileage is due...

If the move to an SUV is in order, we love driving our Ford Escape since it is very car-like and not truck-like on the road. My other half is only 5' 2" and she has no problems with ingress/egress and its not a huge vehicle either. Its peppy with the 24v v6 and does great in snow with automatic AWD and all-season tires... something to consider since you're in MN.

i do believe that the Ford Escape may fall into that category ;) btw i have driven a few lil chevy's like the cavalier's(mt) the auto stick just didn't quite make it :ack: the lil 16v 4 cyl are fun to drive especially when they are well maintain... :brows: for the most part if the car u looking for has been very well maintained you should do well :banana: and if not well then you know what happens :headpop: :fs2: i tend to shop via the prvt owners and see what they say about the machine if it feels right and they don't really have to sell and they have the records to show it maybe a :thumbsup:

I know everyone probably doesn't think much of this car, but it was my first car, and therefore, my first forray into the world of automobiles

A 1997 Pontiac Sunfire 4Cyl 2.2L

(Me with long hair. Man that felt like a long time ago.)

The car was surprisingly spacious, and other than replacing the starter, 4 new tires, brakes, and adding fog lights, it was a very low maintenance car. It had almost 190k miles on it too! That Sunfire never left me stranded, and I still regret selling it for the MJ sometimes. I know for a fact, that I got 20 or better mpg in the city, and definitely all of 25 or so on the highway. Definitely a good car to have for a beater. Not to mention they are literally a dime a dozen down here in FL. You can pick up a pretty decent one for $1400 or less (most of the time around $1000 or so.)

The only downside I can recall about them is if you get the older ones (96-2002) before the major facelift in 03, you'll have the "less than desirable" 2.2 engine compared to the better EcoTech 2.3 engine. IMO, there is no difference, just how you take care of it. The second problem is that some Sunfires (and Cavaliers) have braking problems that cannot be fixed. EX: Driving down the road and hit the brakes, it'll feel like they stick and you jerk around when you brake. I'm not sure if this was widespread or only affected a small # though.

So, with the possibility in my head that the car may be totaled, are there any small to midsize cars that anyone would recommend as a replacement? Since the car would be for my wife, and since we'd like to have a car that gets decent mileage, it still needs to be a car. I’d love to put her in a Cherokee, but she’s a little lady coming in at under 5’ tall. Again, the car would be mostly for her getting’ around car and we’d use it for whenever we’d need to go road trippin’. We’re looking for a 4 cylinder backed by an automatic trans. She likes the size of the Jetta but would be willing to go smaller while I like the size of the Jetta and would feel cramped in anything smaller.

Any suggestions?

Also, sorry for the x2 posts, but I forgot to mention that my boss's wife (she must be only 4'8) drives a full size 1998 Chevy Silverado Z71 w/ a 3 in. lift every day to work. It's hilarious watching her get into the thing. :rotf:

Thanks again for all of the good suggestions! I think I'm leaning toward a Ford Focus, another Jetta, Toyota Corolla, or a Mazda 3 or 6. I should be getting the insurance check either today of tomorrow so I'll be able to get more aggressive with finding her a car.

What are you wanting to spend?...

Excellent question from what I've found while looking around. We're looking into up to $6k. I'm one of those that hates having any sort of payment more than my house, so that's the limit that the wifey and I set. This wasn't planned by any means, and after just moving to a new area, my pockets just aren't as deep as they once were. We'll make something work. Again, thanks to everyone. :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...

Bringing this back up to date. After living in the new place for a while now, we've found that car pooling has worked out very well and haven't thought about another car for a while. Last week the question was asked by her, "Does the AC in any of the trucks work?". After a good laugh and having to sit down to collect myself, "Uh... no".

I'm still thinking about a 2004 and up Ford Focus. Another new contender I've bee looking into is the Pontiac Vibe or Toyota Matrix. So... any new information from anyone? Thanks guys!

3 or 4 years ago when I had to break down and get a car for commuting, I snagged a 93 honda civic for 2k. I did the timing belt right away since it was over due mileage wise. i put 1000 miles a month on it and its great, 34 mpg, but it is small. lately at work all the kids are grabbing subaru's and seem to be have a good time with them,high 20's for MPG and all wheel drive. I though about getting one when I move to duluth. One ? neohic, do people use chains up there or do they get studded tires for the winter, or do they just now how to drive in the snow.

...do people use chains up there or do they get studded tires for the winter, or do they just now how to drive in the snow.

As far as I know, chains and studded tires are not road legal here. Most people know how to drive in the snow, but it does takes the majority of winter for them to remember how. :thwak:

My Mom has a Pontiac Vibe. She is taller than your wife (5'4") and has some difficulty seeing out of the rear windows because of their size and placement. You sit relatively low and the rear hatch window is incredibly small. She does seem to enjoy the car overall and I have driven it a handful of times. Seems plenty peppy, handles decent, and gets somewhere in the mid to high 20's for MPGs. It also has a surprising amount of trunk space since the rear seats fold down completely.

You know you are a glutton for punishment and the weird/unusual...

Rob :dunno:

The problem comes in when I ask what she thinks about what type of car and her answer is always, "Whatever doesn't look too old".

Parts may be tough to find for a Yugo around here. I'd love to rock an MK1 Rabbit though.

I'm still thinking about a 2004 and up Ford Focus

when i was looking for a car last year i wanted to buy american and i looked into the zx3 focus. seen MANY complaints of around 70-80k a valve spring retainer or sumthing would break, drop into the cylinder and pretty much grenade the valvetrain. ford kicked it under the rug and never repaired the cars. that made me quit looking at them. i like my GLI, but have been thinking of selling it and getting something a bit older. 00-01 Audi A4 quattro's are on my list, just not the automatics ($3500-4000 rebuild over here). they key would be to find one that has and can prove the maintance of oil changes/timing belt replacement. or find one with a bad turbo and replace it with a FRANKEN Turbo.

I'm still thinking about a 2004 and up Ford Focus

when i was looking for a car last year i wanted to buy american and i looked into the zx3 focus. seen MANY complaints of around 70-80k a valve spring retainer or sumthing would break, drop into the cylinder and pretty much grenade the valvetrain. ford kicked it under the rug and never repaired the cars. that made me quit looking at them. i like my GLI, but have been thinking of selling it and getting something a bit older. 00-01 Audi A4 quattro's are on my list, just not the automatics ($3500-4000 rebuild over here). they key would be to find one that has and can prove the maintance of oil changes/timing belt replacement. or find one with a bad turbo and replace it with a FRANKEN Turbo.

I heard something like that but I haven't found anything on it in the DOHC four cylinders from 2004+. I'd love to go VW again, but she really wants an auto trans. We lucked out on her last Jetta that the car went before the trans. A VW with an auto isn't if the trans will go but when.

My Mom has a Pontiac Vibe. She is taller than your wife (5'4") and has some difficulty seeing out of the rear windows because of their size and placement. You sit relatively low and the rear hatch window is incredibly small. She does seem to enjoy the car overall and I have driven it a handful of times. Seems plenty peppy, handles decent, and gets somewhere in the mid to high 20's for MPGs. It also has a surprising amount of trunk space since the rear seats fold down completely.

Found a couple Vibes that I'd like to take a look at. It's the cargo area that I really like about them but it's also the down fall, as you stated. I think if my wife can drive one comfortably, then it'll really lean me to them.

• 2 weeks later...

I did something silly today and went out and stopped at a few local car dealers. Nothing of interest at the first, but the second place opened my eyes to another prospective runner. It's another type of cult vehicle but it's also a vehicle that I've poked fun at in the past... but then I drove it and it really opened my eyes! Anyone have any opinions on the Chrysler PT Cruiser? From what I understand, they're a rebodie Neon... and there are like a gazillion of those out there but only with manuals. Apparently Chryslers had some issues with their autos. Anyhow, this one has 136,000 miles on it. Everything feels tight but I know that there has been some body work done on the rear lift gate and on the driver's door. On the up side, whoever bought this car from the factory had their priorities set! It sports the Limited package with all the options and leather seats, sun roof, non turbo 2.4, and a manual.

427705_229402267158644_100002666186219_415102_1607258252_n.jpg

Granted, this car really isn't "me". But that's what I need! Something that I have no drive to modify or add anything. I just need something to roll with. Any opinions on these things?

I personally have driven a 00 protege for the past 6 years and couldn't be happier with it. 30mpg easy and the only thing I've done other than oil/brakes is a water pump and belt a couple years ago. Mazdas have all the good ratings imports usually do as well.

Bought an 09 2dr civic a year ago and really love it. 32-37 mpg depending on how heavy my foot is. Way better than my 13 mpg TJ.

Here is a link that has some interesting articles about different cars and there cost and reliability.

http://www.mainstreet.com/hottopics/wheels

This one is on the link above and talks about used cars to consider.

http://www.mainstreet.com/article/smart ... buying-new

:cheers:

I did something silly today and went out and stopped at a few local car dealers. Nothing of interest at the first, but the second place opened my eyes to another prospective runner. It's another type of cult vehicle but it's also a vehicle that I've poked fun at in the past... but then I drove it and it really opened my eyes! Anyone have any opinions on the Chrysler PT Cruiser? From what I understand, they're a rebodie Neon... and there are like a gazillion of those out there but only with manuals. Apparently Chryslers had some issues with their autos. Anyhow, this one has 136,000 miles on it. Everything feels tight but I know that there has been some body work done on the rear lift gate and on the driver's door. On the up side, whoever bought this car from the factory had their priorities set! It sports the Limited package with all the options and leather seats, sun roof, non turbo 2.4, and a manual.

427705_229402267158644_100002666186219_415102_1607258252_n.jpg

Granted, this car really isn't "me". But that's what I need! Something that I have no drive to modify or add anything. I just need something to roll with. Any opinions on these things?

I have a PT that I bought new in 2001. It was the first year they came out. I worked for Chrysler and had one of the first ones in our county. I would find my car surrounded at my kids soccer games. :rotf:

Has 98k on it and it's my wife's favorite thing to drive. Replaced a couple of multi function switches for the fog lights but other than that it has been a good ride.

I thought about this a little more and realized this cruiser is on wife #2 and survived 2 teenage boys as drivers. I did replace a front wheel bering, a wierd track bar type bushing in the rear, and it (or the drivers) has been hard on brakes.

It's can be pretty handy in a pinch. The seats fold and tumble like a mini van, or can be removed completely, including the front passenger seat with the pull of a lever.

Lots of room for the 6' plus size lops we hall around with us once in a while. My wife drives it over the convertible mustange in the garage, the chevy tracker, and the POS Oldsmobile we have. She can't ride the Harly and she is afraid to drive my truck. :no:

I've kept the PT for almost 11 years. It's been pretty decent.

My mom bought a 2001 PT right when they came out... paid too much at the time but that didnt matter. She still has it and has had few if any problems. The auto trans issues are more with the minivans than they are with the PT's or Neons. We don't see many issues with them at the dealership, so I wouldnt be too afraid of an auto if thats what you find. But the manual ones like that are few and far between. Like you said, may be just what you need to keep from messing with it. Some of the biggest issues we see with them at the dealer are for cam sensors, and electric cooling fans going bad. I say go for it.

Mom Has a 2003 Liberty 4x4 Sport and LOVES it. It has enough room on the inside to fit 2 Dishwashers with some room to spare. Its pretty peppy, and can turn on a dime. We have had no problems with it. It was 8 years old when we got it and it had 60,000 miles or so on it.

Dad Had a 2005 Liberty 4x4 Limited, he likes it. But the tranny is acting up. Not wanting to shift and has a grinding sound while in overdrive.

The first car that I ever bought was an '01 PT Cruiser. With 50k miles on it, I sold it to my dad who has taken it over 120k miles. I actually drove it today to go pick up some 35" tires for my brother's JK (only 3 tires). It was and still is a great car. Down on power, but for the money it has a lot of nice features and it has a fantastic interior especially in Limited trim. My dad experienced some transmission issues with it after I sold it to him, but that was about 70k miles ago. If I ever get rich and can have an infinite list of project cars, I'd like to have a GT with the 5 speed manual.

Since there are literally over a million of them out there, be picky and get a good one.

... The auto trans issues are more with the minivans than they are with the PT's or Neons. We don't see many issues with them at the dealership, so I wouldnt be too afraid of an auto if thats what you find. But the manual ones like that are few and far between. Like you said, may be just what you need to keep from messing with it. Some of the biggest issues we see with them at the dealer are for cam sensors, and electric cooling fans going bad. I say go for it.

This is exactly what I was hoping for as most of them that I'm finding are autos... which the wife likes too. Thanks for the input! Still on the search.