top speed

btm24

So I would love to know the top speed you have hit with your truck and what performance if any mods it had when you did so. I know the speedo only go's up to 85 but there are other ways of knowing speed (gps and what not). I know that with stock set up, stock size street tires, the renix 4.0, auto, 2wd, with 3:55 gear ratio, I got it up to 112 mph. How ever the other day I got it up to 96 mph thats with newish 31" all terrain tires, 4:10 gear ratio, about 300 lbs in the bed, and some other "minor" problems. So tell your story :popcorn:

Brandon

So I would love to know the top speed you have hit with your truck and what performance if any mods it had when you did so. I know the speedo only go's up to 85 but there are other ways of knowing speed (gps and what not). I know that with stock set up, stock size street tires, the renix 4.0, auto, 2wd, with 3.55 gear ratio, I got it up to 112 mph. How ever the other day I got it up to 96 mph thats with newish 31" all terrain tires, 4.10 gear ratio, about 300 lbs in the bed, and some other "minor" problems. So tell your story :popcorn:

Brandon

"Minor problems...300 lbs 'in the bed'" - Listen we won't make fun of you for too long but just say "Guys i got up to 112 with my fat girlfriend in the truck. P.S. - a fat girlfriend is more than just a minor problem. :banana:

I have not had any XJ or MJ faster than 75 MPH and I don't intend to. And that's for stock height vehicles.

These trucks are comparatively narrow, and you now have yours lifted, which makes it even more unstable. It is not safe to drive it that fast ... period. I know I sound like an old lady, but FYI this is from someone who has raced sports cars, done high-speed hillclimbs, and won statewide autocross championships. In properly prepared CARS I have driven over 150 MPH. I have also been involved in a couple of accidents on highways, so I know how fast everything can go to [bleep].

In the second of the highway accidents, I was rear-ended by another car at speed, and did a 180 followed by a corrective 180, ending up stopped in the center lane facing the direction I was initially going. If I had been in am MJ, I would have been on the roof.

Don't even think along these lines. You have started down the road of making your MJ into an off-road beast. It is NOT suitable for speed work.

^^^^ nailed it. i wasnt going to say anything. buy another car if you want to go fast. i go 130 or more just for fun in my other car but i don't go or have even tested the Mj for a top speed. highest i get is 65, MAYBE 70 and thats when I'm hurrying to get somewhere in it. i understand where your coming from though, just be easy with it :thumbsup:

I've done 145 in a Jaguar, 160 on a Harley Davidson, Bonneville salt flats and 335 in a F51 at the Reno air races. I wasn't racing, a fella let me take his up for a spin. These were racing vehicles. A MJ is not a racing vehicle. I wouldn't recommend going over 75 in one. To answer your question I've had a 2.5 5spd top out at 90 and a 4.0 with 5pd at 95. It was still winding up but I backed off. comanche.gif

I usually drive about 5 mph over the speed limit, so 70 in a 65, and 75 out of state where the speed limit is 70 My truck is fairly well behaved, so 75 is no problem even on 35s. Last trip to Badlands I was cruising 80-85 for a couple hour on 33" tires, 6.5" lift and stock gears. When it was stock I've had it around 100 during a quadruple pass with plenty left.

had my 00 XJ up to 110 a couple of times. Felt surprisingly stable, sucked gas though.

Had my diesel KJ up to 118, that thing just wanted to keep going.

Agreed. My '01XJ hit about 100MPH when I was driving through PA. I was the third vehicle of a 5 car group that were all traveling at this speed. I eventually had to back off since my RPMs were through the roof and the fuel gauge was a droppin' quick!

I think I may have hit 85 in my MJ on the way back from Ohio when I picked it up...that's enough for me in that truck. Need the steering stabilizer and all control arm bushings replaced - it didn't feel too stable heh

I know I have had mine over 100 several times, but mine is only lifted about 1.5 inches, and on relatively wide tires. When I had my 5.2 dakota I got it to about 135 before I ran out of cajones.

Fastest I have ever gone is a buck 75 in my buddies 9 second firebird :eek: his speedo just wrapped up like a tach.

What kinds of junk are you guys driving that you won't take a MJ or XJ above 75?

Stock XJs and MJs.

The problem isn't the XJ or MJ, or me. I can drive just about anything at 150 MPH if the engine has the moxie to get it there. It's when some idiot cuts you off and you have to slam on the brakes while making a violent evasive maneuver that the high, narrow SUV chassis decides it wants to be upside down before you even have time to blink.

I have survived three serious accidents (none my fault, one as a passenger) and several near misses at legal speeds. I know how fast things can turn to zhit -- and if you're going 20 or 40 or 50 MPH over the speed limit, the zhit just happens even faster.

These are off-road vehicles, not sports cars.

When my truck was drivable I would cruise at 75-80 mph going down the highway, getting 17mpg. She had plenty of juice left... the needle did dip past the gauge numbers once while trying to keep up with city traffic. 4.0, AW4, 3.55s on 30" tires. MY folks 93 XJ behaves the same way.

Did bounce off the speed limiter (93mph) in my TJ when it was stock. 4.0, NV3550, 4.10's on 31" tires.

In my 94 XJ I hit the rev limiter once during a 2nd gear pass. That was right around 55-60mph, so I shifted to 3rd.

My 96 goes like a friggin rocket (PCM has been flashed, may have something to do with it) and I have to be carefull not to smoke the tires on take off.

And no matter what anyone says, that one was NOT made for off road. It's a 2wd. It was made for ma to get groceries and take the kids to soccer practice.

on my way back and forth between N.C. and Florida i usually cruise around 75 or 80 mph

sometimes i'll look at tom tom and i'll be edging on 90and have to slow down.I'm actually suprised at how smooth this thing drives at higher speeds. at around 55 it starts to shake but at about 65 it smooths out again. i do have the wide axles out of a full sized truck though.