What would you do?

Automan2164

i have always been on the lookout for a good Grand Wagoneer or J-truck for a DD with style and towing capabilities, but have never found one in good shape/at the right time... A few weeks ago one of the cops dropped off his squad for service (also a jeep nut), and told me about his new purchase, a 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. 100K, 360, 727, D44's, with limited slip in rear. Black, with wood sides, and tan interior... Motor out of an '86, didn't run. He got it for $800. :fs1: Took it home, threw a ignition module at it, and got it running good on the old stale gas in it, on the fisrt crank. He also just did the rear main and pan gasket in the past week. Still dripping a bit from the timing cover. Brand new coopers, and minimal rust.

Now his wife wants it gone, because its taking up her spot in the garage, and he wants to turn it and make some quick cash. He's asking $2500 to start. I don't have the cash, but the ZJ could hit the bricks if needed... I like it, but a FSJ would have a ton more style. 8) I might even talk myself into getting a loan for it, as it wouldn't be much. :shake:

Pics:

I am looking for opinions on the drivetrain... I think from what I do know about these things, its pretty stout. Anyone know of things to look for? It sat for a year or so I think...

So, what would you do? :brows:

Rob L.

The Grand Waggy I had was THE most comfortable vehicle Ive ever owned. It was a 258 str8 6 with 727 and select trac trans case. It went through the snow like a tank too. And being a Michigan vehicle, it was very rusty underneath. If it werent for gas milage considerations I would have another one right now. $2500 seems like a good price though assuming everything works, like the back window glass. The corporate 20 rear end in them didnt have the same problems as the ones in the CJ's, and it should have a Dana 44 front end. Other than oil leaks from the 6, and a crappy original carb that I replaced with a Weber, I had no problems, even with driving 5 hours to visit my girlfriend in Ohio. I say get it, drive it, LOVE IT!

Tell the guy to call you in a couple of weeks when he's tired of all the tire kickers and low ballers calling him and you'll give him $1500 and the satisfaction that it's going to a good home.

:cheers:

Do you even need to ask me????

I miss our old one all the time...

After the Chryco take over... they all got a 5.9l with the 727 and Dana 44's on both ends....

More than enough power to pull a wheeling rig. The 104 inch wheelbase is a little short. But it does handle it better than the ZJ does.

I love big heavy cars an trucks. DD is a 68 Cadillac convertable.Luvs Waggys. I'd get it. When a car 's been sitting for awhile things go bad. First fuel, then gaskets & seals. I've gotten in cars been sitting 10-12 years, started them up and drove 'em. The old carbs, not FI. I've also gotten cars where there was a inch of hard tar in the gas tank and the fuel lines had to be tossed. Couldn't force a wire thru them.Also seals were tight. Thats life. Some survive. Some don't. When he brought it into your shop didn't you notice if it was dripping or not?

as I told you over the phone, it's worth it.

I'd bone...er...buy it.

somehow I knew the first response to your thread was going to be about some yahoo telling you to do a 4bt swap (no offense sir sam..)

my dad's old 80's j truck got up to 21mpg, no less than 15mpg. pretty comparable to a 4.0 if you ask me...

It looks like its in nice shape Rob...

Now here is a good question, why don't you think your ZJ is worth $2,500? I know you've had some issues with it but from what I've seen of it she's solid rustwise and in nice shape...? :dunno:

Also - from experience - I know you would want to keep this one in good shape and that means keeping it clean...I'll never own another black vehicle after I owned my black S-10. They are HARD to keep clean and every little dent and blemish shows up. BUT when they are clean and polished you don't find a better head turner... double edged sword.

Final rule, completely fix your ZJ and sell it for $4000. Buy it, save up the extra cash to buy a winter beater XJ and store this bad boy away from the snow and salt next winter. image_209027.gif

Brent, don't get me wrong... I love my ZJ. Its basically rust free, undercoated, a sharp color, runs phenominally, and really hasn't been a bad vehicle. But I am starting to realize I need something with some stones for towing. The 4.0L in that, while good for be-bopping around, not that great for towing projects around, and all in all just more of a driver than anything. If I could keep both I would. But at this point in time, I just don't have the room for a 4th vehicle, as one is already at a friends farm, and I have the parts truck in the driveway. I really need to get the garage done so I can pull the stashed MJ in, and axe the parts one... Then I would have the room for the ZJ and the FSJ in the driveway, with 2 spots left for the GF. I have had to borrow vehicles to tow projects home, and I am tired of it... Plus, its a fricken black woody! Awesome! :bowdown:

I am going to hit up the credit union tomorrow, to see what they would give me for a loan on it, or just a personal, and see if I can't have my cake and eat it too... :yes:

Rob L. 8)

After talking to the pros over at IFSJA.org... Seems like it might be a pass scenario. Here is a link to my thread I started for condition and shape ideas...

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=115239

They seem to think $2500 is way overpriced, and that $1000 is more in the neighborhood. They are right. It needs work, and it doesn't have a clean enough body to warrant the cash. :( The body is rust bubbling up under the trim by the woody-vinyl. The engine is still leaking coolant, and a big puddle of oil after running for 10 minutes. :shake:

Think I am going to lowball, and just tell him good luck with selling. :roll:

Rob L.

I just posted on your thread on ifsja, and I agree with them, does need work and does seem a little overpriced, you can find plenty of them out there, out of all the fsjs ive ever had I never paid more than $1600 for any of them, and I did get a few good running ones, one that even had 49000 orginal miles, but the drawback on it was the rust :wall:, good luck on your decision

It sucks when you get all excited about something and then after a couple of days, reality sits in and your all bummed out. I've been looking for an XJ as a DD and find the perfect one every day just to be let down when I actually see it.

Anyhow, if your really heart set in getting one, I suggest like someone said over there and head south and get a clean one. Here's one in NC that looks like it was a garage queen. 67,354 on the ticker.

http://eastnc.craigslist.org/cto/1549973803.html

3k43pa3l35O65P95R9a1c838c4e394ee01028.jpg3mf3o13l05R15Ra5Rfa1c255b0052ac331d51.jpg

Another one not as nice but it's still looks good.

http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/cto/1546062000.html

3n33o33le5Pb5R55S8a1a10f61e1023381590.jpg3nc3k53m75O05P45R3a1a210674f104b3134a.jpg

Either one of these could be had for a little more or less than you were ready to lay out for yours.

It sucks when you get all excited about something and then after a couple of days, reality sits in and your all bummed out. I've been looking for an XJ as a DD and find the perfect one every day just to be let down when I actually see it.

Anyhow, if your really heart set in getting one, I suggest like someone said over there and head south and get a clean one. Here's one in NC that looks like it was a garage queen. 67,354 on the ticker.

http://eastnc.craigslist.org/cto/1549973803.html

3k43pa3l35O65P95R9a1c838c4e394ee01028.jpg3mf3o13l05R15Ra5Rfa1c255b0052ac331d51.jpg

Another one not as nice but it's still looks good.

http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/cto/1546062000.html

3n33o33le5Pb5R55S8a1a10f61e1023381590.jpg3nc3k53m75O05P45R3a1a210674f104b3134a.jpg

Either one of these could be had for a little more or less than you were ready to lay out for yours.

the white one is a nice deal,