Wanting metal Tail light boxes? Possible group buy?

backup lights?

I hope they don't put any on, actually...mine are going in my rear bumper.

i beleive they stated that you would provide the lights, they just cut the holes, so

you can make them whatever you want to be :thumbsup:

see: "So what am I getting at? I am considering developing HD Tail light boxes for MJ's and doing a group buy on them. Price wise, you would be looking around $145 for a pair (you source the lights)." -brimy311, first post

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

backup lights?

i beleive they stated that you would provide the lights, they just cut the holes, so

see: "So what am I getting at? I am considering developing HD Tail light boxes for MJ's and doing a group buy on them. Price wise, you would be looking around $145 for a pair (you source the lights)." -brimy311, first post

i know that. I'm talking about reverse lights. I don't want provisions for them.

Me likey these:

I would buy a set of those...

Rob L.

Those look like crap warmed over...

I have seen a few of those laying along the trails at The Cliffs and Badlands... they tear off against the trees and make some pretty good holes in the body in the process.

The toughest part (for me) to build these myself would be:

1) getting the right size & shape to properly fit the opening & bolt in

2) matching the outside body line (soft corner/edge where the tailight bends around)

The tough part of #1 would be getting both sides to look good AND match each other, but it could be done.

Making the bend for #2 (each matching the other side) would be close to impossible with the tools I have.

As long as the finished product takes care of #1 & #2 above,

if I don't like what holes are cut, how many, where they are, etc,

I'd be happy to plate mine over, and cut holes that better work for me. :cheers:

Right now I'm leaning towards getting some LED universal (CJ/YJ/TJ style) taillights & recessing them in towards the top of the box.

Then maybe use some Military style LED side markers.

If the universal tails aren't reflective, I'd slap a couple of red reflectors on the bumper, and call it done. :thumbsup:

backup lights?

i know that. I'm talking about reverse lights. I don't want provisions for them.

If the provisions are there, you can always weld a patch in if you don't want them. I know speaking from experience to pass safety inspection you have to have them if vehicle was equipeed from the factory with them.

There are several options since our trucks use brake and turn signals out of both lights. You could wire it so that only the upper slot is the brake and turn, and make the bottom hole a reverse light. Or you could make both lights brake and turn (no reverse, and both light holes are used). OR, if your feeling like a wiring job, wire it like the XJ's so that the turn signals are on the bottom and the brake lights are on the top (no reverse, but both holes are used, but has an learning experience of wiring the turn/brakes separate).

1.)Jeepcomj

2.)Cdn Glenwood

3.)pingpong (with bed sides if possible)

4.)88pioneer

5.)dakal

6.)Raoden83

7.)DJM/78

8.)possum

9.)Jpnjim (either style/bedside preferred)

10.)johnnyc

11.)Jeepcomj (set number two)

12.)jimoshel

13)89eliminator

14) Cracker

15) Cracker (set number two)

16) Blue XJ

I'd like a set of either one.

1.)Jeepcomj

2.)Cdn Glenwood

3.)pingpong (with bed sides if possible)

4.)88pioneer

5.)dakal

6.)Raoden83

7.)DJM/78

8.)possum

9.)Jpnjim (either style/bedside preferred)

10.)johnnyc

12.)jimoshel

13)89eliminator

14) Cracker

15) Cracker (set number two)

16) Blue XJ

17) RandysMJ (either style)

From this:

I'm in.

I'd be interested in the set that wraps around too...even more interested if you can make sections to go from front of bed to rear in that section...

I will take either. it would be easier for them to start out with just the tail light.so, everyone add your name to my quote here if you're in.

IN

1.) Jeepcomj

fact of the matter is, I will buy two sets if needed to bump the number up.

I'd rather have these made for me, than have to make them myself...and I have a friend who would buy them.so, here's the "new" list

1.)Jeepcomj

then it doesn't matter, because they're not designed for d/d street trucks anyways. it's protection against busted tail lights on the trails. that, and cheap insurance that the most your tail light replacement is gonna cost is $10 when you bust a lens
some of us are very serious about wanting these, in at least the tail light form....so let's keep this on topic please.

To this:

I'm really hoping these will have oval lights...I have ZERO interest in them if they're round.

:huh???:

From this:
I'm in.

I'd be interested in the set that wraps around too...even more interested if you can make sections to go from front of bed to rear in that section...

I will take either. it would be easier for them to start out with just the tail light.so, everyone add your name to my quote here if you're in.

IN

1.) Jeepcomj

I'd rather have these made for me, than have to make them myself...and I have a friend who would buy them.so, here's the "new" list

1.)Jeepcomj

then it doesn't matter, because they're not designed for d/d street trucks anyways. it's protection against busted tail lights on the trails. that, and cheap insurance that the most your tail light replacement is gonna cost is $10 when you bust a lens
some of us are very serious about wanting these, in at least the tail light form....so let's keep this on topic please.

To this:

I'm really hoping these will have oval lights...I have ZERO interest in them if they're round.

all of those quotes have nothing to do with styles of tail lights, except the last one. they have to do with style of tail light box...they have to do with styles of protection (i.e. just the tail light, or down the bedside as well).

3" round tail lights don't even fit, so I'm not worried about whether or not round tail lights will be in them...just voicing my opinion that oval tail lights are the best choice, because they fit...and they're all I'd want.

all of those quotes have nothing to do with styles of tail lights, except the last one.

Exactly - they do not!

So where in the last seven pages did you say I want two sets IF they don't use 3" tail lights or any other deal breakers?

does it honestly even matter? there are not many round lights that are readily available enough to fit in the space that will be alloted.

From this:
I'm in.

IN

1.) Jeepcomj

1.)Jeepcomj

To this:

:clapping:

Should take his name off the list then or put him as a MAYBE.

brimy311, highly suggest you not do tool up or do anything that costs you $$ until the $$ are in hand. Too much drama here........

As I'm sure you can see. :shake:

I think the idea is to measure first, and it would probably be a good idea to rough one out of sheet steel and figure out what you can fit for lights and what the easiest way to cut and bend will be.

brimy311, highly suggest you not do tool up or do anything that costs you $$ until the $$ are in hand. Too much drama here........

As I'm sure you can see. :shake:

We don't make stuff that looks like crap, so if we don't like the do-able designs, we will scrap them before we even offer them.