Cheap Jeep stories

ICEBOX

Ok every one Tell the rest of us HOW CHEAP YOU GOT IT FOR !

Tell you store of a good find and how cheap you got it for .

I got a set of new 31's for 100 ! for all for the ones on my black elinenator

It wasn't real recent, but mine is a tire story also.

I contacted the President of ProComp tires to inquire about a deal on some "blem" tires. I wanted 35" Xterrains for our YJ, but he didn't have any blems in that tire. He instead offered me first line, brand new 35" Xterrains for $85 each :eek: :clapping: . So I got $1300 worth (5 tires) of tires for $425 :thumbsup: . They are still on the YJ now...6 years later :yes:

I had been looking for a cheap truck for quite some time. It had to be cheap in order for my wife to let me even consider buying something. I told all my friends to keep and eye out for something thinking I might find a full size ford or dodge that would need some work. Then one day, my friend Chip told me a buddy of his was getting ready to move cross country and was selling everything off. He had this 1987 Jeep Comanche that had running problems for $250. I went to look at it expecting to have to tow it home. Looking it over, I saw it had 336,000 miles on it! It was completely rust free too. The owner went up to it when we got there, hooked up the battery and it fired right up, although it didnt really want to idle. Needless to say I told him Id take it, and I drove it home with my wife following close behind. I tuned it up, put some fuel cleaner through it, and the more I drove it, the better it ran. Score!

My next deal I found was a free set of BFG A/T 235/75r15 tires. Working at the Jeep dealer checking over a used wrangler, drove it, noticed that the tires rubbed on the control arms, and said nothing about it considering what good shape the tires were in. A few weeks later, they had it sold, but the stupid customer complained about the tires rubbing. I told them there was nothing we could do about it except to replace the tires with the correct size....so they did! They had us put on some plain jane el cheapo street tires, and evidently the customer was happy. And now I had a set of BFG's for my MJ.

I put those tires on a set of wheels I bought off of a Grand Cherokee for $100, I beleive the fromer owner referred to them as the honeycomb style. I painted the centers of the wheels from the original gold to a charcoal grey. My wife kept calling them my big pimpin' wheels. Until I got them all mounted up, at which point she said they looked pretty good.

And how about a rust free parts 1986 Comanche X with a blown up disassembled 2.8, red bucket seat interior, full console, 4x4, Ax5, NP207, 30, 35, aluminum wheels, longbed for $125??? :yes:

well, i will be introducing my mj soon, but i'll tell some of the story now.

i've come across some incredible deal over the years, an 81 audi 4000 comes to mind. i got that for $100 cause the guys said it wasn't driveable. i drove it home. i still have alot of parts from it. i sold a ton of parts off it, then the wrecking yard gave me $200 for what was left (nothing).

the best deal though has to be my 87 mj. i was selling some gm parts after parting out a 91 suburban. i mentioned in one of the craigslist posts that i may be interested in a trade. well this guy came over and wanted some parts. he needed some wiring connectors and a few minor things. most of it would've gone to the scrap yard with the truck, but he wanted them. i just started throwing prices around. he was happy with $300 for everything he needed (of which i could've sold maybe $60). :D

then he asked if i'd be interested in a trade for a little jeep pick up. i figured i could part it out if it was too bad. we went to look at it and i wanted it right away. he told me that menekie charged him $180 the day before to tell him the rear main was out, the starter, and several other things to get it started and make it run. i jumped in and turned the key and knew right away what was wrong. i shook his hand and took 1 set of keys and left the other set with him so he could get everything out of it and i'd pick it up in the next few days. :banana:

a couple days later i went by to see if he was there (i felt a little guilty about the deal) :roll: . he wasn't so i popped the hood, turned the battery cable a bit to tighten it. it started right up. i drove it home and put cardboard under it to see what kind of leak i was looking at. no leaks at all. it has never leaked since i got it in june 08. i cleaned it up and found what kinda shape it was in. it's in excellent condition, no defects in the interior other than a missing headliner. not a single rip or tear.

this rig only had 93k miles on it. no serious rust or holes. i took it on a road trip to mayo and hauled some stuff with it last summer otherwise didn't do too much with it. i ended up replacing the battery cables, alternator, belt, and it needs tires.

to really make the deal sweet for me, it had 6 huge chrome kc lights on top of a homemade light bar. i sold those for a total of $200. then i removed a raccoon tail that was hanging from the rear view mirror. my wife bet me i could sell it on ebay. i did. next i used it to deliver parts for gas money and a $25 fee per hour.

so long story short, i ended up trading for $300 worth of parts that i would have maybe gotten $60 for. then i sold the lights and tail for $220. the parts deliveries added up to be $125 plus gas. doing the math (even if you figure the full $300 trade) makes it out that i got the truck and came out $45 ahead :D :D :D :D .

now that was a good deal. since the truck was basically free, i'll be keeping it for a very long time. jamminz.gifjamminz.gifjamminz.gifjamminz.gif

I bought a 1991 Jeep Cherokee for $250. It ran great, hap a PERFECT (no joke) interior, and a reasonably good exterior. There was rust in the rockers, but eventually I will either cut those out and add tube, or gut it and junk the body, part the rest. It came with a viper alarm system WITH remote start. Power everything. 4.0 - AW4 - 4WD

I worked parts at the tie and a customer apparently told my boss not to tow it because he was going to have it towed to the scrapyard the next day. Boss called me, gave me his number, and I offered him scrap price for it figuring for $250 I could use Something off of it for my lifted 1991. Get there, sign the title, and he drives off in the GC his mom helped him get that day. Me and My buddy start looking at the thing trying to figure out what to do with it. For giggles I hit the remote start buttons and it fires right up. He said it has a fluid leak that would require the tranny to be changed, so we start looking around. At this point nothing makes sense, it is not leaking much, but he said it was stuck in gear and would not leave 1st.

Everybody ready?

the hose clamp holding the tranny cooling line to the metal tube had loosened up and was leaking. One $.08 clamp and 3 bottles of fluid and we were good to go. My mother in Law is currently driving it and will continue to do so until she can afford another car in good shape. We could not believe it.

Photo Evidance of goodness (clickable thumbnails):

I could not believe it after looking it over, I was ecstatic over the interior alone, thought I was back in 1991. When it ran and drove great as well, that was awesome.

i got 4 un-used 30" tires on wheels. the wheels matched the ones already on my jeep.

for olny $400

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i got a JL Audio 250/1 amp for free

and a 15"diameter W3 subwoferfor free

i got my 87 for 450 on CL.

i was taking some old lawnmowers to the local recycler, and on the way in i spot a mint bodied 90 SPORTTRUCK comanche sitting on blocks with the 5 speed in the bed waiting to be crushed. i said how much for it, old man said he'd take whatever they gave the man for it which was 200 bux. handed him cash went home got some spares and loaded it up on the car trailer. once i got it home i was cleaning the junk out of it (full of paper reciepts and beer cans) and found the reciept were they paid him 300 for it lol. i sold the motor for 100 bux and got all the missing parts for mine and traded it to pete for an 8.8 and a black bench.

i picked up a frame for my ranger in SC from a guy on another site for free.

my dads mechanic buddy called him saying a guy at work had just ben given an 85 ranger with a bad transmission from his daughter. i called the man that night and he said he'd take scrap price for it(back during the summer when gas was super high) and he figured 100 bux would be fine. so needless to say, i own that truck now to lol.

Back in August of 2008 I was doing some landscaping for a guy my dad worked with. First day I was there I noticed what I thought was an old xj behind his shed. Fast forward a couple days job is done and as hes paying me I ask him "whats up with the old jeep?" He proceeds to tell me that it has a busted rearend and his wife is hounding him to get rid of it. I told him I could haul it out of there for him and he asks how much. He ended up giving me the truck and $50.00 for gas to haul it away :banana: :banana: :banana: It had 2 bad injectors and a ccouple missing ring gear teeth on the rearend. I wound up swapping my buddy at the junkyard a 2 door 77 ltd that I got 4 free for a derby car for a set of 3.55 geared xj rearends, a complete fuel rail with injectors and an old cross the bed toolbox. So....I got her on the road without spending a dime other than an oil and filters change and tune up.......

Found my rustfree sportruck sitting in a field in a foot of snow with a 4sale sign and a phone number. Gave him a call, offered him $350 and signed the title over. Truck sat for about a year so I wasn't counting on much. Gave it a jump and it fired right up. The tierod was bent and it needed a muffler and back brakes for inspection. Fixed that stuff and drove it for about 6months before ripping it apart for the 4wd swap.

Also got my dad a 2000 grand cherokee limited 4.7 with 107k and a bad tcase for $800. Got an np 242 with 66k and driveshafts for $100.

I have also bought a 92 chevy lumina euro 2 door for $150.00 sold it for $1,000. A wrecked 93 s10 blazer for $400.00 sold it for $2,500 after replacing the front clip. A 93 grand prix se 2 door for $150.00 sold for $1,500. I used them all as work cars back before my comanche came along. I used to fix one up and drive it till I sold it to save on gas in my lifted z71 chevy. Its amazing what some people consider junk in the right neighboorhoods.

Hired a guy to help me out at an airport I run. He noticed that everything I ever drove to work had that damn 4 letter word on the front(jeep of course). Said his daughter had a jeep in her backyard that she wanted gone and was tired of looking at it. Offered her $50 and she took it. Everything works perfectly and runs fantastic. Strong running 2.5L and 231 transfer case. Unfortunatly it will be parted out to buy parts for my MJ, but my $50 dollar find will make me $600 profit that will benefit my MJ as well as keep fellow jeepers on the road/trail. I hate to see jeeps get split up as much as next guy but the body/frame is pretty rusty.

i spotted a mint bodied 90 SPORTRUCK comanche sitting on blocks with the 5 speed in the bed waiting to be crushed. old man said he'd take 200 bux. i sold the motor for 100 bux and got all the missing parts for mine and traded it to pete for an 8.8 and a black bench.

What a coincidence, I once traded a 75 dollar 8.8 for a rust free MJ body. :yes:

I paid about $800 for a 78 Bronco with a trashed body and parted it out for about 2 grand and got free axles in the process.

I bought my 89 MJ for $250, I bough a 91 civic for $200, I bought my 94 Prelude SI with a H22 swap for $800. All of them ran well after a lil tinkering. I just bought a 96 XJ classic 4x4 for $700 and only thing I've done to it is take it to a dealer to have a cat replaced under recall. I'm DD'ing the XJ now. I also picked up a really sweet 3 ton floor jack in Jan for 15 bucks.. Yeah I run into alot of deals,,,,,,,,,,,,BUT the thing is having the cash at the right time to buy them..

another one for me is a good tire deal i came across. a brand new set of 33x12.5x15 general grabber at's on new white american wagon wheels. my wife made me stop by a rummage sale, i saw a set of tires stacked up so i went up with her. 20 minutes later i had a set of 4 brand new rims and tires for my cj for $150. the guy had just sold his truck and his wife was ticked he had parts around and "advised" him they would go that day or in the garbage the next. lucky me! jamminz.gif

when i was 16 years old a very good friend named jerry past away , at the time i was looking for a truck and it turns out that jerry and another good friend named joe had been talking about my dellima just weeks before , well it turns out that my late friend jerry with help from joe i was the proud owner of a beautfull 1986 jeep comanche which i still have and will till the day i die . fast foward 9 years to 1-1-09 and i get the call of a lifetime .... my dear friend joe past away , i later found that he left me his original 1974 Harley 350 sprint . needless to say id much rather have my dear friends than a truck and a bike but thats how life happens sometimes. anyhow thats my story , sorry for the sad story but as they both would have said "$#!& happens".

i spotted a mint bodied 90 SPORTRUCK comanche sitting on blocks with the 5 speed in the bed waiting to be crushed. old man said he'd take 200 bux. i sold the motor for 100 bux and got all the missing parts for mine and traded it to pete for an 8.8 and a black bench.

What a coincidence, I once traded a 75 dollar 8.8 for a rust free MJ body. :yes:

I paid about $800 for a 78 Bronco with a trashed body and parted it out for about 2 grand and got free axles in the process.

lol nice.

1.my first comanche 92 4x4 shortbed 4.0 i traded a s10 blazer for i pid 200 for it 50 for a running parts truck swapped motors scaped the parts trucj 150 bucks and traded the running blazer for the comanche.

2. my 2nd comanche for 300 bucks needed a slave drove it for 2 months, altenater went out doin donuts. did a altenator keep throwing belts off sold it to my nabor for 450 he did a brand new altenator i did a junkyard one. i bought a f150 mean time for 450 and i drove it for a couple weeks he wanted to trade bck and he would give me 200 cash to so i did it and i bought a prts truck for 250 with new slave clutch pressure plate resurfaced flywheel and I'm parting it out now?

when i was 16 years old a very good friend named jerry past away , at the time i was looking for a truck and it turns out that jerry and another good friend named joe had been talking about my dellima just weeks before , well it turns out that my late friend jerry with help from joe i was the proud owner of a beautfull 1986 jeep comanche which i still have and will till the day i die . fast foward 9 years to 1-1-09 and i get the call of a lifetime .... my dear friend joe past away , i later found that he left me his original 1974 Harley 350 sprint . needless to say id much rather have my dear friends than a truck and a bike but thats how life happens sometimes. anyhow thats my story , sorry for the sad story but as they both would have said "s#!t happens".

Do you have any pics of the sprint I have two of these I've been trying to get together for years.