What's so great about a Comanche?

I have always liked the look of the Comanche as small trucks go. However, I am hard pressed to say why. I recently decided I needed a small truck for utility purposes at my acreage. I bought a 1990 model that runs strong, and I have since gotten compliments on the look of the truck. However, my wife was appalled that I would buy an 18 year old truck of any kind, and specifically asked, "What is so great about a Comanche?" I didn't really have a good answer for her, so I would appreciate some good solid reasons to share with anyone who asks. - Thanks

-They look good

-They are rare (built 1986 - 1992 only)

-They are dependable

-They are addicting for no apparent reason

-It's a Jeep

-It's a truck

-It's a toy

-It's a friend

-It's something to do on a boring weekend

-People look and take notice of you in it

-You have something that they want...but they don't know why they want it... ;)

The Comanche is a mysterious creature, it turns on men and women alike...but often they don't realize it is because of the truck.

First of all it is the best looking truck ever made...period. People will sometimes laugh when I go into great detail about how sexually appealing my 20 year old rusty as hell pickup is, but it grows on them. Then whenever we see other MJs they also get excited and start to appreciate what a pickup truck really should look like. I now know quite a few people who are now casually looking for a Comanche and a quite jealous of my favorite possession.

Second they are pretty uncommon. Now normally this has its downsides in not being able to find parts very easily. However, with the MJ is practically the same thing as the XJ mechanically and those things are everywhere, so no issue finding parts.

Third they feature the AMC 4.0 which forged out of Satan's flesh. Look around the Internet or go talk to Jeep owners about the kind of abuse this cast iron lump can take. I have seen these motors run upside down, with no coolant, with no oil, and even getting hydro locked and still being driven home. They are also super easy/cheap to work on.

Fourth they don't make anything that even compares anymore. Name on truck that weighs 3k lbs, has an in line six, can pull 5k lbs, has a payload of 1.5k lbs and has solid front and rear axles. The MJ could do nearly everything a full size truck could when it came out and it can still keep up with a lot of trucks being made today.

Lastly, they are incredibly Heavy Metal. If the Comanche listened to music, it would be thrash/death metal all day long. When people get in my truck and see that I have ripped out the flooring/roofing and sprayed it all with bed liner they start to understand how metal this truck is. Then when I yank the transfer case into 4WL and go shooting up and unpaved inclined surface they immediately proclaim that it's as hardcore as a rusty battle axe.

I will never sell my truck because it is worth 30x more to me than I could ever sell it for. I know if I were to ever part with it I would hate myself forever. Spending time with it brings me great joy, even tasks that some people might find irritating and tedious I quite enjoy. Adding oil...fantastic. Greasing all the joints...couldn't be better. Washing it...well this one actually kind of sucks because I lose more paint every time. It is an ongoing project but it's one that I really like dumping time into.

If that was too long and you didn't read it, in short it looks how pickups should look, it's cheap to buy/maintain, and it is great at hauling on and off road. I can't imagine owning any other truck for my purposes.

If you use valet patking and tell the attendant to get your Comanche the odds are he will bring you the right vehicle. :cheers: Not that I use the valet parking much I preffer to park it myself so it won't get damaged. :nuts:

Thanks for the replies; You guys posted some good stuff. I agree some of the stuff about the engine, capacities and axles is compelling, but I am leaning toward the intangibles involved around the uniqueness. I am also inclined to think it is something you get or you don't get, and it is unlikely it can be explained sufficiently to persuade a non-believer.

I guess I will go back outside and see if the POR15 has set up on my rotten floor pan... :shake:

My first vehicle is my MJ. Some of my buddies laugh at my little 2wd beast, i just shrug it off and laugh... My little 20 year old rust-bucket is going to outlast their plastic-mobiles for quite a few years (not to mention it runs better than most of them already too :brows: ) And not to put down other vehicles/brandnames, but I think that jeeps were built to last, not just use up then throw away. Thats just my 2 cents.

JD

it has a really big bumper so I can hit $#!& with it...

er... :oops: that's mine.

um.

well, what's NOT to like about them.

a father could buy one for his son, and put bucket seats in it, having full peace of mind that there won't be any grandchildren created in it anytime soon (I've tried :eek: , there is NOT enough room)....and the son can gladly take delight in the fact that it comes equipped with it's very own bed jamminz.gif :brows:

it has a really big bumper so I can hit $#!+ with it...

um.

a father could buy one for his son, and put bucket seats in it, having full peace of mind that there won't be any grandchildren created in it anytime soon (I've tried :eek: , there is NOT enough room)....and the son can gladly take delight in the fact that it comes equipped with it's very own bed jamminz.gif :brows:

there is hot coco all over my keyboatd. thanks jeepco

haha. thanks. here's my other quote of the night from a discussion with 89eliminator...

[22] JeepcoMJ: the more I deal with women, the more I realize that all I want to do with them is procreation. anything else, they can keep to themselves

we think it's sig-worthy, but I already look like enough of an a$$hole so... :dunno:

haha. thanks. here's my other quote of the night from a discussion with 89eliminator...

[22] JeepcoMJ: the more I deal with women, the more I realize that all I want to do with them is procreation. anything else, they can keep to themselves

we think it's sig-worthy, but I already look like enough of an a$$hole so... :dunno:

Right. So........so what are you waiting for, sig it up baby! :rotfl2:

Right. So........so what are you waiting for, sig it up baby! :rotfl2:

:hijack:

:banana:

Back to our thread.....

Bilgamesh, there are a lot of good posts on here of what you could say to your wife, but words do not do the Comanche justice. So, your best response is a combination of body language, facial contortions, and finally the manly stare, assuming you can pull that off. (I'm a little concerned about the last one by the simple fact you needed us to give you a good reason to give your boss, err, wife an answer)

So right after she asked you such an educated question like "what's so great about a Comanche?", you stop scrubbing the dirty dishes, slowly turn your head to her and give her the combo look :shake: :nuts: As you go back to your dishwashing, she starts to respond "but...." to which you now abruptly turn your head back to her and give her the :no: :evil: combo look. If she attempts to engage you again, you have several options. :headpop: :fool: nutkick.gif :thwak: and if all else fails, :hate banana:

Now go finish the dishes and let us know how it goes.

it has a really big bumper so I can hit $#!+ with it...

um.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Dude, I'm 6 feet tall, 300 lbs and my wife is 5' 8" and much smaller. Been there, done that! "Only in an MJ!"

Combo number two please.....

I'm new to owning a comanche or a truck or jeep in general. I'm 18 and i have built a few cars with my father in our shop. mostly small block chevy. drag cars. bla bla bla.

But i found my beauty on my local CG and got it for 500. Not the nicest thing in the whole world

But i love that it is a small truck with a great motor. and idk what it is but I'm pretty sure I'm in love with it. even with a front diff leak and dents and everything. and This forum is awesome. The PPL here are friendly

I have been on other forums and ppl are mean. Like ? wtf were all here because we love one type of vehicle/brand. It doesnt matter Comanche ppl are awesome and help each other out. The crowd around the vehicle reflects its character Also.

Well I normally prefer to have an intelligent response at hand, but I will take it under advisement that instead I should just thump her up side the head and say:

Now Gorgeous Puss, yer purty, but too dumb to 'preciate a 'manche; Now shaddup an' give Daddy some sugar!

In the meantime, if anyone has any other outstanding comanche features they would like to share, I would appreciate the information. :popcorn:

Thanks,

Bill