What's so great about a Comanche?

It will haul all sorts of stuff to the dump or across the country and still get 20 mpg.

I have the Thule 421 Sportster racks on mine and have hauled 4 kayaks on it with no problem on some pretty crappy roads along with all of the other stuff you need for kayaking/camping or whatever. Plenty of room.

When the whining gets too bad I just threaten to remove the passengers seat. It quiets right down after that.

It's a truck..

It's a jeep..

It's not a cookie cutter thing.

I have yet to see another one driving on the streets.. and I have had mine 3 weeks.

I bought it for 500.. got another 100 in it for tags and emissions and plates..

It's beat up.. but it's got one thing these new cookie cutter's don't, and that's character.

I work on it every weekend.. it's my project.. my money pit.. and my mistress.

It's a Me thing.. I enjoy having something to do.. when I don't want to do anything that requires dealing with people.

After a LONG week of listening to people complain and yell at me on the phone.. the sound of just me and some hand tools working on the truck is very relaxing.

Well I normally prefer to have an intelligent response at hand, but I will take it under advisement that instead I should just thump her up side the head and say...

Now I have read enough. Here is something "intelligent". What sort of soul-mate would ever step on the toes of their significant other by denying him/her of something that really means a lot to to that person? Bottom line...if you REALLY love your Jeep the way some of us do and your significant other does not approve, then she is not meant for you. :no:

There are plenty of fish in the sea and my wife of ten years would have never become my wife in the first place if she hadn't respected the few things in life that are important to me. I wouldn't expect that she would tolerate me if I did not respect the few things in life that are important to her. She likes Jeeps as well! :thumbsup:

If you love your Jeep and she does not respect that, then you are Jeeping down the wrong road in my humble opinion. There are lots of women out there who love Jeeps! I wish you nothing less than a REAL relationship because nothing less is really worth the concern. Good luck...

Its a Jeep thing...some just do not understand...

V/R

image_209027.gif

Paul

-

-People look and take notice of you in it

-You have something that they want...but they don't know why they want it... ;)

i whole heartidly agree. years and years before i owned a jeep i saw a comanche here and there was like "damnnnn, thats a bad @$$ little truck :eek: "

Thanks to everyone for the good intentions regarding sticking up for something I enjoy. I was just playing along with the thumping and colorful language, but after re-reading all the posts, I realize I have given many the wrong impression, and I need to clarify:

My wife does not dislike my truck, she just has a general notion that cars must be under warranty, or gotten rid of. She was appalled that I would take on an 18 year old vehicle. The fact that I would, made her wonder what specifically attracted me to the vehicle. I didn't have a good answer. It is not the first time she has been appalled in this way, as I have something of a history of this sort of thing. Last year my project was a 1974 Bronco. I rebuilt the engine and largely restored it to good condition, then sold it a couple months ago. My wife also has a clean thing, which doesn't really fit well with truck parts scattered everywhere. In the end she is used to my eccentricity, and tolerates it.

I would still like to hear all the pros and even the cons of Comanches. I know they have strong motors, good towing capacity and payload, crappy floor pans and strong appeal of uniqueness...

-

i whole heartidly agree. years and years before i owned a jeep i saw a comanche here and there was like "damnnnn, thats a bad @$$ little truck :eek: "

i said that too and a month later i had one. i like the s10, ranger, bronco, blazer, and all those but they had more bad years than good imo.

-

i said that too and a month later i had one. i like the s10, ranger, bronco, blazer, and all those but they had more bad years than good imo.

what do you mean? 70's and the 80's were awesome

what do you mean? 70's and the 80's were awesome

good years comparable to the comanche

ranger:83-93

bronco II:84-90

blazer:83-90

s10:82-93

i bet if jeep had continued the comanche for the same years as gm it would have undergone some wacky changes.

for those of you that can remember those years :chillin: :rotf:

Or were alive in them...

Vintage 1987 right here.

But that aside, All I've ever had was Jeeps. My dad bought our first XJ in 95, and when I came of age to drive I really wanted a Comanche, but I settled for an XJ cause it was what I wanted drivetrain wise and actually finding an MJ was not easy.

I'd gotten a lot of crap in HS for having my little rustbucket 88 XJ cause it wasn't a "truck", but no matter what was wrong with it, the damn thing always moved.

I think the biggest selling point on why the Comanche is so great is because it's a Jeep. And a truck.

Oh, and they only made them for 6 years but really don't have problems finding parts.

I think everyone hit the nail on the head with why they are so great. First off its a Jeep and a Truck, best of both worlds! Solid front axle, big fuel injected I6, and a damn good looking truck. I don't think you can find that kinda package anywhere else. Closest competition would probably be the similar year ford Rangers They also had strong v-6's and a decent drivetrain, and almost a solid axle (ttb's are interesting to play with)... Plus MJ's are pretty economical in stock form, I've seen xj's and mj's with the 4.0L 5-speed get low 20's for hwy mileage..

It is hard to explain or even divine a rational for putting the time, money and labor into keeping them alive but in the final analysis it's just a "do anything" great old truck that really has no peers. I have some good choices for a daily driver but gravitate to the MJ most mornings for my daily grind. Maybe it's the uniqueness, the driving feel, the utility or just the pride you take in having a rare truck you have put a lot of yourself into (nearly three years in my case). My much maligned 2.8L V-6 with 104,000 miles is smooth, peppy and gets better gas mileage than many new trucks. A good carb rebuild by an experienced hand with OEM parts works wonders and adds to the enjoyment--if you have a 2.8L and havent done this, shame on you. And, after all...it's a Jeep!

What isn't great about a Comanche??? My favorite thing is that it is unique, turns heads because you don't see them anymore. I have had several people walk up to me in parking lots and just start talking Jeeps because they say "wow, haven't seen one of those in a long time!" They are tough, good looking, fairly easy to work on, and mine takes me wherever I want to go. If Chrysler were to announce that they were going to produce an anniversary model MJ ( I know, I know, they wouldn't be as tough as the originals) I'd be the first to sign up for one! The nice thing though is that there weren't a billion different cab styles produced, I mean sure, a few minor things after Chrysler took over on the inside, but the major stuff ( doors, fenders, etc.) all the same, and the fact that the cab is same as the old Cherokees makes replacing a lot of parts even simpler. But the best thing is that my MJ, at 21 years old, can use historic tags and that means no inspections and cheap insurance!

What isn't great about a Comanche??? My favorite thing is that it is unique, turns heads because you don't see them anymore. I have had several people walk up to me in parking lots and just start talking Jeeps because they say "wow, haven't seen one of those in a long time!" They are tough, good looking, fairly easy to work on, and mine takes me wherever I want to go. If Chrysler were to announce that they were going to produce an anniversary model MJ ( I know, I know, they wouldn't be as tough as the originals) I'd be the first to sign up for one! The nice thing though is that there weren't a billion different cab styles produced, I mean sure, a few minor things after Chrysler took over on the inside, but the major stuff ( doors, fenders, etc.) all the same, and the fact that the cab is same as the old Cherokees makes replacing a lot of parts even simpler. But the best thing is that my MJ, at 21 years old, can use historic tags and that means no inspections and cheap insurance!

From the Ohio Revised Code (imagine other states to be similar):

(A) As used in this section, “historical motor vehicle” means any motor vehicle that is more than twenty-five years old and that is owned solely as a collector’s item and for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses, but in no event is used for general transportation.

Unless you can convince the officer that you are participating in a "club activity, exhibition, tour, parade or similar use", be prepared to be fined for illegal plates. These laws are not normally enforced, but if they see you drive by a few days in a row, they might start asking questions.

Here in the Peoples Republic of Maryland an historic vehicle is over 20 years of age and is for parades, tours, etc. and "occasional" transportation. I've had more than one deputy tell me that they don't pay a bit of attention to vehicles with these plates unless you are doing something stupid or the vehicle is in such bad condition that it doesn't look safe or is posing a hazard, things which they would stop a car for anyway.Also, you can't register or get these plates unless you already have another vehicle with regular plates ( i.e., your "everyday" transportation ) I have a grand cherokee and a street bike, so it's no problem keeping it mixed what I drive everyday.

Fuel injection + solid front axle = comancheB.gif Name me another small truck that had that.

What's that? The 1985 Toyota pickup? You'd be correct. Too bad the 85 'yota didn't offer a 6 cylinder engine. :clapping:

What is the specific benefit of the solid front axle? - Thanks

Fuel injection + solid front axle = comancheB.gif Name me another small truck that had that.

What's that? The 1985 Toyota pickup? You'd be correct. Too bad the 85 'yota didn't offer a 6 cylinder engine. :clapping:

-Stronger

-fewer parts to break

-easier to upgrade

-easier to work on

-easier to lift

-less expensive

-Stronger

-fewer parts to break

-easier to upgrade

-easier to work on

-easier to lift

-less expensive

You missed a couple. The ground clearance under the solid axle doesn't change as the springs compress. In IFS, the center section gets closer to the rocks when the springs are compressed. And then there's the best benefit of all: when offroading, as one tire gets pushed up due to uneven terrain, physics causes the system to actually push down on the other side, increasing traction on the drooping side. On IFS, the two sides are truly independent and when one side goes up, the other side just kinda hangs there with reduced traction.

IFS does have some minor advantages, like a bit more static ground clearance (meaning when the truck is just sitting there), or a more car-like ride, or less unsprung weight (comes in handy for highspeed racing). But for regular offroading, I'll take a solid axle any day of the week. :thumbsup:

So right after she asked you such an educated question like "what's so great about a Comanche?", you stop scrubbing the dirty dishes, slowly turn your head to her and give her the combo look :shake: :nuts: As you go back to your dishwashing, she starts to respond "but...." to which you now abruptly turn your head back to her and give her the :no: :evil: combo look. If she attempts to engage you again, you have several options. :headpop: :fool: nutkick.gif :thwak: and if all else fails, :hate banana:

Now go finish the dishes and let us know how it goes.

:bowdown: The most incredible use of smilies I have ever seen - bravo. Funny as Shiite to boot! "you stop scrubbing the dirty dishes" :clapping:

I love my truck. It's small enough to drive anywhere (live in the city), it hauls a good amount, gets good mileage, 4wd, and it tough as hell. The uniqueness of it is great as well.

For a mini truck I couldn't own anything else. I'm not sure what I'll do in a year or two when I need to upsize to a full size truck.