breaking into your vehicle (lost keys)

I locked my keys in once, but luckily, I had a roughly 3 foot or 4 foot piece of quarter inch steel rod I was using to make a guide. I shimmied it in between the top seal on the drivers side window and the glass and used it to open my rear slider. Those rear sliders are a godsend when you accidentally lock your keys in.

In the end, no damage to the vehicle.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never lock my truck unless its long term, otherwise my dog takes care of business if people get to close. She has that jeep on lock down especially if she is in the cab, sometimes I worry she is the one that will break the window out. But if you don't have a fury tag along everwhere you go take the time to place a spare key set (both door lock and ignition) somewhere on your truck. Breaking into my own truck just isn't a option in my opinion.

Apparently, I'm too stupid to figure out the coat hanger trick OR the slider trick. Could not get the slider to unlock, nor could I find the locking mechanism with the coat hanger. Lucky for me, I have AAA; and the guy still took 25+ minutes and couldn't unlock it with a slim jim either. However, I was 80+ miles away from where I was supposed to be. Waiting for the lockout to show up on the bill and get bitched at. :teehee:

Another idea, one I need to steal from my buddy, he put an old piece of metal banding in the back of his truck with a notch cut out just like on a slim jim. Looks just like a piece of scrap, but makes a handy lock-out tool.

• 4 weeks later...

How to break into almost any vehicle:

buy a pack of quality wooden shims.

get hammer or rock.

pry upper corner of door apart just enough to get a couple shims in.

keep adding more shims until you have enough room to stick in a coat hanger

a strong rubber band taped to the end of the coat hanger can grab most door locks. other rigs will need the coat hanger bent to grab the door handle.

you didn't hear any of that from me. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

Just don't understand why keeping a spare key in your wallet isn't choice #1. Been carrying one for my DD/work vehicles for over 25 years, used them multiple times and never broke a glass, used a slim jim or jacked up a door frame to use a coat hanger.

Although, I am adept with the coat hanger on other's vehicles (only at their request when they get frustrated in their attempts).

Edit - Just realized that some may see the other methods as a challenge or as the quest for the Holy Grail of the Comanche realm.

• 4 years later...

I had a roommate who locked his keys in his running car... Drove 20 minutes to unlock his car with a coat hanger...

In my old 89 with vent windows, the latch mechanism could be turned with your thumb from the outside and I would just open the vent and unlock the Jeep. Also the ignition was busted and would turn by hand so I rarely carried keys for that thing.

• 9 months later...

this is an old post, but i locked my keys out today and after trying various things, the method that worked for me was straightening out a coat hanger with a hook at the end, slipping it down between the window and the door and just grabbing whatever i could around the handle and lock cylinder area, pulling it away from the door handle toward the front of the truck. it only took me a few tries and it popped the lock pretty easily.