Would you live in a trailer?

DirtyComanche

Would you?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Would you?

• Yes
    • No

First of all, a lot of people on here live south of you where, well, um, the housing market has caused a few problems. Soooo, obviously what you can get for $1000/mo here will be different than in the Great White North, eh? Even though I have no idea of the Canadien housing market, I'm very surprised for $1000-1200 your choices seem to be limited to mobile homes.

I wonder if there's any way you can make a mobile feel less like a mobile?

Dude, once you get in there and style it up your way, it will simply feel like home.

I know, I just have to get over it.

First of all, a lot of people on here live south of you where, well, um, the housing market has caused a few problems. Soooo, obviously what you can get for $1000/mo here will be different than in the Great White North, eh? Even though I have no idea of the Canadien housing market, I'm very surprised for $1000-1200 your choices seem to be limited to mobile homes.

I wonder if there's any way you can make a mobile feel less like a mobile?

Dude, once you get in there and style it up your way, it will simply feel like home.

I know, I just have to get over it.

Egggg-zactly! Seriously, you'll be way over it in about five years when you collect your first rent check from it and you're in your next home.

I live in the Mid-Atlantic region of the US. Around here you see lots of trailers on land with shops. Before the wife and I bought our house we looked at some "mobile homes" on the lots at dealers. They had one that was a triple wide. The thing was 42'x70' and came fully furnished :eek: Bad part was the price was 110k then you had to have land.

The latest craze in my area is developers using modulars. They are similar to trailers in many ways, but they come on a flat bed, are set in place by a crane jamminz.gif and can have mutiple levels. :nuts: The price is about 2/3's that of a traditionally built house.

If it was me I would buy the place with the biggest shop you can afford. Myt 20x20 garage is way small once you put your tools and project in there. Ideally I could live with a 20x40, or a 30x 40.

My dad's 20x24 garage is too small. Couldn't put up anything bigger on our tiny chunk of property though. If I was on the look for property, I'd need at least 30x30 with high ceilings. But buildings like that aren't all that expensive. The property is far more important. I've been living in suburbia way too long. I need space to breath!

I lived in one for the last 1 1/2 years, I hated it, of course hate being in a park that is, trailer is small but I'm a cheap bastard that loves paying only 3 hundred dollors lot rent, and I can pick up and go when ever which I will be come friday. But I need some land dammit. Where I can work on my jeep and go behind the shop[ and take a piss if I have to.

based off the experience of several people i know who have or do live in them, probably not. aside from which, the value of a trailer never goes up, only the land it sits on. that said, if you can get one where the trailer has already lost pretty much all its value and your just paying for the land and shop, it might not be so bad.

Pic of the last trailer I lived in from 1994-1996 until Mama and the kids could join me. It was 12 feet wide by 55 feet long and was located beachfront in the Marshall Islands on Kwajalein Atoll. An Army base.

house7.jpg

A view from the front porch.

3221166.jpg

It's location, location, location. Don't matter what the abode is. :cheers:

the value of a trailer never goes up.
Have to disagree there...

My land is worth about $50K and is only .17 acre...(less than a quarter of an acre). The house & land where just recently appraised at $110,000 which is an increase of $35,000 from the previous appraisal done 8 years ago. It was valued at $58,000 in 1985 at the time of original purchase and has been on this land since 1978 when the original owners put it here.

It all depends on how they are set up and cared for, but they can actually appreciate in the right situation.

the value of a trailer never goes up.
Have to disagree there...

My land is worth about $50K and is only .17 acre...(less than a quarter of an acre). The house & land where just recently appraised at $110,000 which is an increase of $35,000 from the previous appraisal done 8 years ago. It was valued at $58,000 in 1985 at the time of original purchase and has been on this land since 1978 when the original owners put it here.

It all depends on how they are set up and cared for, but they can actually appreciate in the right situation.

But Taz, yours is effectively a modular home, or double-wide as you call it, and they DO tend to appreciate as you have shown and as I said earlier. Standard or "single-wide" units historically do not appreciate on their own, again, usually only the land does. And an 1/8 acre lot as you have is a very common size for a similar 1000-1800 sq.ft. stick built home which helps make the public's "acceptance" of it as a comparable home choice to stick built and therefore has a demand for it on the resale market.

All I know is I miss my shop.

I used to have a double attached garage (20x24) and a 24x36 pole building in the backyard with a double garage opening toward the alley behind my house. Then the wife left me and I had no hope of making the mortgage payments on my own.

Fast forward 3 years and I live in a 98 year old 2 storey house on a single lot that I have been remodelling for 2 years now. It is in town, close to school and walking distance to my daughter's friends. Those were all the requirements I had, but man do I miss my garages.

After she's moved out I plan to sell this place and buy some land out of town. Start by building a 24x36 buckeye barn. Downstairs will be 3 stall garage with radiant floor heating, upstairs will be living space. If that can't happen, plan B is to build a triple garage in my backyard.

even with the double wide or 'modular' models, it still has to be the right situation to appreciate. florida has demand for that partially due to retires who tend to be more likely to have a mobile home, as well as vacation homes which people don't want to sink as much money into.

Yeah, I don't think they'll be appreciating here... But, there value isn't squat instantly - give 'em about 30 years and it is.

I figure I might as well do it. But I'm going to talk to my dad about it :roll: Well, more specifically if I should buy anything right now, not specifically a modular/trailer...

Speaking from recent experience, many lenders will not finance a mobile, modular, trailer....whatever you want to call them. I bought a brand new doublewide in mid '02 from a "reputable" manufacturer, within a year the interior walls were seperating from the outside walls (not enough staples ??). The setup deteriorated as well, washing machine in the spin cycle had the whole house wiggling ever so slightly (but noticeable). The sales brocures stated and showed that they were (supposedly) built to the same standards as a house built on-site, baloney. I lost it by way of foreclosure due to divorce (seems I'm not alone here :brows: ).

I'm in the process of buying a 3 bed 2 bath (real) house jamminz.gif on about an acre+ at the top end of a cul-de-sac with PLENTY of backyard to build a 30X30 garage (and a pool :brows: ). For the time being I'll have to settle with the 2 car attached garage.

Bottom line is, no I wouldn't live in a trailer again.

for me it would depend i guess. i would't live in any ol' trailer in any ol' place. lets face it, many trailer parks have been labled "ghetto". i wouldn't mind a nice trailer with a garage i could atleast do some work on my rig in. It would be a step up from my apartment. i can't do $#!& here :roll:

for me it would depend i guess. i would't live in any ol' trailer in any ol' place. lets face it, many trailer parks have been labled "ghetto". i wouldn't mind a nice trailer with a garage i could atleast do some work on my rig in. It would be a step up from my apartment. i can't do $#!+ here :roll:

I feel the same way... Handcuffed by an apartment. And no, I'd not live in a 'park' either. Anyone here ever watch 'Trailer Park Boys'? Yeah... Anyways, there's just something about a trailer park that depresses me. So, I'm not going there.

for me it would depend i guess. i would't live in any ol' trailer in any ol' place. lets face it, many trailer parks have been labled "ghetto". i wouldn't mind a nice trailer with a garage i could atleast do some work on my rig in. It would be a step up from my apartment. i can't do $#!+ here :roll:

I feel the same way... Handcuffed by an apartment. And no, I'd not live in a 'park' either. Anyone here ever watch 'Trailer Park Boys'? Yeah... Anyways, there's just something about a trailer park that depresses me. So, I'm not going there.

I ment that i wouldn't mind living in a respectable one. never seen that movie these new colors ROCK

Three years ago I almost bought property near where I was working at the time. I was in an apartment 4 nights a week driving back home for the weekends. My wife and my goal was to buy some property, drop travel trailer on it for me to live in, build a large garage with a sort of apartment in it. In a couple years when the kids were out of school and gone, setup a modular (not double wide) home on the property and sell the other house. Some of my co-workers did the same thing, and most of the homes in the town were either modular or mobile.

Luckily, I got an offer elsewhere. Moved the fam and have a 2 car garage and large RV pad and plenty of parking space. But would love a 30x40' pole barn or steel building for a workshop. Maybe, if we survive Obama, I can find a little property outside of town and build on it...

I had a house in a small town in Kingsburg, Ca. when I was a bachelor. The town is famous for their awesome schools, low crime rate, no gangs, and a wonderful place to live. It was my first house but a really small house, my mortgage payment was $800.00 a month. It had two bedrooms, and one bath, washer and drier hookups, big kitchen and a good size living room. But NO GARAGE. Built in 1926 with 804 square feet.

I married my wife and moved into her double wide mobile 1500 square foot home sitting on an acre. My wife and I tried to be landlords but really sucked at it, so we decided to sell the house in kingsburg and curently debt free.

We are trying to build a house on our one acre and getting everything in place to do it. So when my fellow MJ'ers come by, we can sit on the porch image_209027.gif