Would you live in a trailer?

DirtyComanche

Would you?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Would you?

• Yes
    • No

Okay, I'm not trying to be rude, because I'm sure plenty of people on here do...

But, I've been looking at housing that fits my critera to buy. Why? I pay about $675 a month in rent for a place I don't like and doesn't suit my needs (an apartment located downtown). Renting doesn't get you anywhere, but it does allow you to simply pack up and leave if you're ever so inclined. However, it seems like my employment is reasonably secure, and I do make enough money to afford a mortgage in the range of $1000 - 1200 a month, and if I have a spare room or two to rent I can make that much easier (I have lots of co-workers who I would trust enough to give cheap rent to).

The thing is, the only real requirment for the place I buy is that it has a detached shop/garage that's about 20x20 or better. Oh, and that I can actually afford to buy it. And that it isn't in the city and has enough space, but that's kinda given as I won't get a detached garage/shop in the city and all of the lots out of town are sizable.

Unfortunatly, that leaves me with a lot of trailers (mobile homes) with nice detached garages.

For some reason, maybe it's my upbringing, I just don't think I can do it. Maybe it's because I told a girl friend of mine, and she made some comment about how she 'wouldn't be a trailer trash queen of mine'. She was joking (I think), but still, the fear is there...

Okay, so this post really has no point... But I'm one closer to 5000...

I don't have the cash to buy a place AND actually do anything to it. I'll be bascially throwing the majority of my liquid assets against it as a down-payment in order to even qualify for a mortgage. Down the road, yeah, I'd hope to have the money... But, still, I don't need a big house, I'm single and I like it that way.

So, it's really just that I can't get over the concept of living in something without a real foundation.

Where abouts do you live, meatgrinder? I've been looking in Hart and Blackburn and area (out by the airport) mostly...

i have it right here i'll give you there number

ok here's the add

6.5 acres on corner lot 3-4 bedrooms seperate garage fenced pole barn 2 driveways phone number is 963-7306 or 961-7509 there asking only 158000 so i dono why so cheap

The only comcern that I have with renting is that you are using your funds without building equity.

The only problem I have with a trailer of a condo is that you might not be able to get your investiment back when you decide to sell.

In any case you need to consider the neighborhood as well. Ask yourself: Would I want to bring my wife (girlfriend...or both :brows: ) here? Would I feel she'd be safe if she was alone here? Would I raise my children here? How far away is the nearest healthcare...nearest schools...nearest Church?

i have it right here i'll give you there number

ok here's the add

6.5 acres on corner lot 3-4 bedrooms seperate garage fenced pole barn 2 driveways phone number is 963-7306 or 961-7509 there asking only 158000 so i dono why so cheap

Thanks, I'll go see... There's probably a good reason for the price.

In any case you need to consider the neighborhood as well. Ask yourself: Would I want to bring my wife (girlfriend...or both :brows: ) here? Would I feel she'd be safe if she was alone here? Would I raise my children here? How far away is the nearest healthcare...nearest schools...nearest Church?

I'm not overly worried about security/safety as long as it isn't in the city. That's where all the problems are, by far. And children, well, I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves here. Everything else, well, there's schools outside of the city centre, and everything else is at most a half hour away. Which, isn't too bad.

We have lived in our double wide since 1985. In Florida...it has seen multiple hurricanes & tropical storms including Charlie that passed directly over us in 2004 with 110 MPH winds and we only lost a few shingles and a spinner vent off of the roof. We live in a Mobile Home Subdivision so it is much better regulated than a "trailer park" and we all own our land. It is a good affordable option for many people :cheers:

If the trailer is sitting on a good piece of land than why not? Live in the trailer a few years until you can afford to build a house. Once house is done, remove trailer from your land and all is well.

I don't know how it is around there, but around here you can almost buy a house with property for the same amount as you can buy just the property. It's becoming more and more popular for people to live in the "old" house while they are building their "new" house on the same property.

When we bought our property (30 acres) we designed a home that we wanted to build and live in till we died. We sent the plans out for bid and nearly had heart failure when the bids came in. We started to re-think what it was that we really wanted and we decided to look at manufactured homes. We went to a couple of facilities in Boise that build them and, took tours. We settled on a 2100sf home for less than 1/3 the price of the custom that we had designed. That allowed us to purchase the adjoining 30 acres. The way I figure it is that God quit making real estate a loooong time ago but, folks haven't quit overpopulating the earth. It's the ground that is worth the money in the future. Not so much the home on it. 4 years after we bought our place, we were offered 10X what we paid. You could call this my retirement account....So I say go for it.

Me and my husband & 2 half grown kids are living in a 28 1/2 ft fifth wheel travel trailer at the moment. Have been since the end of may and with the rental prices around here probably will be for a long time to come yet. If we could find a trailer on a piece of property for a decent price you can bet we'd jump on it. We've lived in a couple mobile homes and there not so bad once you get settled into them.

The only comcern that I have with renting is that you are using your funds without building equity.

The only problem I have with a trailer of a condo is that you might not be able to get your investiment back when you decide to sell.

First of all, a lot of people on here live south of you where, well, um, the housing market has caused a few problems. Soooo, obviously what you can get for $1000/mo here will be different than in the Great White North, eh? Even though I have no idea of the Canadien housing market, I'm very surprised for $1000-1200 your choices seem to be limited to mobile homes.

That being said, Akula makes some good points, mainly that the problem with a mobile home is they appreciate very little, if at all. The profit you make on a future resale will be mostly in the value of the land it sits on. IMO, if you can afford to own vs. renting, it's a no brainer, especially if you plan on staying in that area for awhile. As far as living in a mobile home, it actually could be a great investment for you as a first time home purchase. Once you can afford to move up to another level of housing, keep the mobile home and rent it. A long term income stream and at some point, some substantial appreciation (in the land value) if you hang on to it for a long time.

First of all, a lot of people on here live south of you where, well, um, the housing market has caused a few problems. Soooo, obviously what you can get for $1000/mo here will be different than in the Great White North, eh? Even though I have no idea of the Canadien housing market, I'm very surprised for $1000-1200 your choices seem to be limited to mobile homes.

It's not limited to mobiles. But the requirement of a shop causes the issue. From what I can tell, it's about a $30K touch for a decent one (what I really want). Which is fine, I can't build one for that. Also, typically anything with a shop is on a larger peice of land (4 acres is typical, with some being much larger) which again adds to the price.

I could buy a fairly nice house. Just it would have no shop. Winter is long and cold, and working on stuff in your living room isn't ideal.

I'll keep looking for a couple more months... But I think it'll come down to it and I'll just wind up in a mobile. I wonder if there's any way you can make a mobile feel less like a mobile? The basic footprint is a dead give-away. Maybe if I cut it in half lengthwise and rotated the one half 90* it would feel more like a poorly laid out house than a mobile? (I'm joking, I think)

I wonder if there's any way you can make a mobile feel less like a mobile?

Dude, once you get in there and style it up your way, it will simply feel like home. Maybe try to find a double-wide, or modular home as I prefer to call them, like Brent's. I lived in South Fla for a few years and they are everywhere and a lot of home for the money.