CW's MJ 2005 - 10

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw your jeep today! Did your father relay you the message?

Yes he did!! Sorry I missed you man!!!

Reson46,

Sorry no but there was nothing to see but a pile of scrap spring steel!!! Glad to have RUSTY'S CRAP out of and off my Jeep!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER AGAIN!!! don't BUY RUSTY's!!

We should start up a fund, kinda like a AAA. When one of us has a hankering to save some dough up front and buy Rusty's, we dip into the fund. Trek out to them and go to the bar and drink beer until we talk them out of it!!! What do you think...

CW

• 2 weeks later...
Whered you get the popeye "Jeep"?

That's "EUGENE the JEEP", he is a majical dog like creature that lives in an alternate reality to Popeye. He would "pop" in and out to help Popeye in the cartoons.

"The animated cartoons took the straightforward approach of defining the character as some type of dog. In The Jeep (1938), Popeye presents the animal to Olive Oyl and Swea'Pea with the simple explanation, "The Jeep's a magical dog and can disappear and things." In Popeye Presents Eugene the Jeep (1940), it is Popeye who receives the creature from Olive, in a box via a special delivery man (voiced by Pinto Colvig), and with the premise that he had never seen the creature before: "Well, blow me down! A baby puppy!""

My buddie, Spencer @ jeepsticker.com made them up for me. He is the guy I turned on to you guys for jeep stickers, some time back. He has made a bunch for fun and OEM style pieces for many of the guys on here. Not positive, but he may make the stickers for Pete as well.

Drop him a line and be sure you say your from comanche club!!

CW

• 2 months later...
CW - Haven't seen you around on the boards? How is everything?

Its all good..

Its just a busy time of year, not so much traffic here that has interested me as of late... I back away from the jeep boards come october..its hunting season ya know. Then after the holidays I'm back with a good dose of cabin fever to get the juices flowing for the new year. Its getting too cold for projects and I've done about all I wanted to on the MJ.... don't get me wrong.. there is ALWAYS SOMETHING else to add or change.

Thanks for asking, Merry CHRISTmas to all,

CW

Saw your jeep today! Did your father relay you the message?

Yes he did!! Sorry I missed you man!!!

Reson46,

Sorry no but there was nothing to see but a pile of scrap spring steel!!! Glad to have RUSTY'S CRAP out of and off my Jeep!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER AGAIN!!! don't BUY RUSTY's!!

We should start up a fund, kinda like a AAA. When one of us has a hankering to save some dough up front and buy Rusty's, we dip into the fund. Trek out to them and go to the bar and drink beer until we talk them out of it!!! What do you think...

CW

I'll second it just for the beer drinking,heck if your buying the beer ill threaten to buy some of there garbage.

image_209027.gif

• 3 months later...
Well, I installed the RE Add - A - Leafs and found the crappy RUSTYS leafs are all busted!!!

MAIN leaf on the PS broke completely in two when I removed the center pin!!

I found two more on that side broke and one cracked on the other.

I WELDED them back together as a TEMP FIX.

I got it all back together and buttoned up.

I like the firmness the RE AAL gives. I also gained the lost ride height I lost from the sagging leafs.

I have a set of 4.5 leafs on order from Motion Offroad!!

Next is the new RE 4.5" front coils.

CW

Why didn't u run the U-Bolts so the threads are facing upwards? :hmm: so as to not catch on things out on the trail?

Yea, as others have pointed out, I cannot mount the U Bolts that way as I am still SUA. But if you look closely at the last pics, you will NOT see any stubs hanging down. I have skid plates mounted as a lower mount. That protects everything and well as shrouding the nuts from rock rash.

CW

• 4 weeks later...

Well I pulled the bed and dropped the tank tonight. All sans one bolt came easily out. I will even be able to reuse all tank "J" Bolts!!! I found a bit more rust damage behind the tank, but not as bad as what I saw before.

Here is the rust holes before any work. the biggest issues are right in front of front leaf mounts. Pass side is the worst.

Then after about an hour with the wire brush, a hammer and a sawzall....

I also have a badly leaking gas tank. Kinda thought it was just the gasket as I have had to change the fuel pump twice and reused the same, 20 year old, factory gasket. :eek: :yes: BIUT NO... Where the tank straps contacted the tank its rusted thru. Time for a new tank. SO, along with the frame repairs. I figured its was best and easiest to just pull the bed and "have at it".

Then after about an hour with a wire brush and the air hose... tomorrow I am going to dive in with the high-speed grinder with the big business wire-wheel!!! :yes: :eek: :D

Here is some pics of the rust...

Here is a couple neat shots up the frame rails.....

You can see I need to address the bumper mount too...

More to come!!!

Hiya CW, thats an awful lot of rust, I thought the swiss cheese floors in my xj were bad, wow!, :eek:

I guess going the buggy route isnt really an option, I hope the rest of the frame holds up ok.

Thanks Art, Its not nearly as bad as it looks!!!

A couple hours with the "heavy duty" wire wheel and I'm at brite and shiny steel!!! Repeated hammer blows sound a nice solid note. Tonight I stripped almost everything to bare steel. Where it was good steel, I only quickly went over the metal to abrade it for paint adhesion. I cleaned the bad areas to bare metal and they are all ready to fit the patch panels and weld them in.

For those patch panels, it looks like inside, out and bottom for both sides in front of the spring hangers. Then only the outside and bottom on the pass side between the hangers. The area behind the gas tank, inside of the frame, cleaned up nicely and appears OK with a good coat of http://www.rustbullet.com .

Here is the patch panel, weld areas:

Here is a first coat of RUST BULLET. I am going to finish with POR 15. Looks great with the rut paint on it!!!

More to come.....

Looks good CW. BTW - You look a heck of a lot healthier in your latest Avatar picture ~ and a bit thinner :thumbsup:

Thanks guys!! I'm just a portion of my former self... I'm down 55# and I cut my whole cholesterol to half of what it was before the heart attack!!! I feel great and the doc is ecstatic at my "numbers" and weight loss.

I'm ecstatic about turning wrenches on my Jeeps!! Between you guys and me, I don't sleep at night thinking about the next nights agenda!!!! I'm like a Lil' kid waiting for Christmas morning.

Tonight I had other things to do. but I did manage to get the templates made for the patch panels!!!

CW

Keep it up Boss, looks like you are having fun with the rust!

OOH you KNOW IT!!!! I can't sleep at night for not being able to work on it!!!!

I got my new tank stripped and first coat of POR15 in it.

I also got my patch panels all cut and ready for tomorrow's welding. I will mark and paint under the repair panels before welding them in.

CW