CW's MJ 2005 - 10

CW - Good to know, I have some clear coat pealing, so this would work for both the pealing clear coat, and the weathered alum.....Cool.....And I know what your saying.....rinse them thoroughly, and wait some time to add clear coat ;)

don't do it with your good tires on the rims, it is very potentially corrosive to rubbers and is not worth the risk to do it.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CW - Good to know, I have some clear coat pealing, so this would work for both the pealing clear coat, and the weathered alum.....Cool.....And I know what your saying.....rinse them thoroughly, and wait some time to add clear coat ;)

don't do it with your good tires on the rims, it is very potentially corrosive to rubbers and is not worth the risk to do it.

Rubber is inert. Nothing will happen to it, sans removal of any tire dressing. :brows:

This stuff comes in a plastic bottle. Its not THAT corrosive. Your hands will tingle if it gets on them, just be careful arround your eyes and pets.

CW

Got to really wheel the MJ this week end!!!

Thats a link to the video clips.

login; CWLONGSHOT

password: JEEP

Here is a couple flex shots. ;) :brows:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Got to put a face to one very cool guy...Derik!! :cheers:

Image Not Found

Here is my pop enjoyin' a cold one Thursday night when we got there...

Image Not Found

Here is the diggs:

Image Not Found

enjoy the video clips...

CW

It is wide....unsure what the axles are out of. but its got a D60 up front and a 14bolt in back.

Here is three more clips. My favorites. As I saw a number of rigs all better set up than my MJ have great difficulty here. This was also my Pop driving. he has like ten hours behind the wheel in the rocks. I was also spotting for him and he listens well. He was also following a very good experienced driver. So I guess he still had an advantage.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

CW

• 2 weeks later...

it is def wide and low

i love the stability of it

the axles are full width srw chevy axles, d60 and 14b

wheels are recentered h1 wheels with 3.5" of backspacing

outside of tire to outside of tire is ~85" and with the tires at 7-8 psi the outside of the foot print is 88"

and just for a little reference, my tires are only 1" under the fender line

I have discovered that my front shocks are valved a bit light for my springs/weight in the MJ. Figured I was stuck until I spoke with a Buddie in my club who hates the way his XJ rides as the shocks and springs are WAY stiff!! We struck a deal and we both end up with the appropriate shocks for each of our applications!!!

I decided on the 255/70 valving and I also stepped up the the 5150's. The are also 1" longer which is a good thing as I need a bit longer shock. Old Bilsteins where 25.50 max. These are 25.90" max. Not allot until you know that the 5150's are EYE/EYE con fig and require either the conversion to stem OR JKS upper stud kit. I opted for the JKS. This adds 1.10" additional. Don't for get the BPE's at the bottom. That's good for an additional .75". Add it all up.....you get about 27.75" .

Now if you remember a couple posts back I sent back 29.5" shocks as they were too long and 27 was the magic number. I couldn't get to it with the 5100's and hadn't looked at the 5150's back then.

Here is some PIX:

Here is the box end with PN for the JKS stud to eye conversion if you need it:

Here is the model # of the new shocks:

CW

Those shock adapters sure look easy to make. Something I'm missing in just looking at the pic? I hope they don't cost an arm and a leg... :roll:
make a jig, crank em out at an alarming rate...

They cost $30 bucks. Yea someone could make em easy enough...but for $30 bucks, I'd rather buy these than screw arround making them.

I'LL BE INSTALLING THIS WEEK/WEEK END SO STAY TUNED!! :brows: :cheers: ;)

CW

Well, Today was the day for wrenching!!

We got a bunch done.

On the MJ, Installed the 5150s on the MJ along with the JKS upper and lower shock conversions. I swapped in the correct 10MM bolts in the upper CA's.

On pops XJ. We finally got those motor mounts in. One was SERIOUSLY TOASTED!!!

Then a buddie stopped in and we fixed his exhaust leak on his YJ. Loose manifold bolts!!

Sold an 29 spl 8.25 axle and my "old" 5100's to a friend in my local club.

On to the important stuff...MJ MODS!!! jamminz.gif ;)

First I had to assemble the shock conversions. Uppers where pretty easy. Just press the upper mount into the JKS piece with a vice and tighten bolt.

Lower BPE's also need a vice or "C" Clamp.

Install one side into the shock:

Compress the bushing with the next piece and insert bolt:

The overall difference in length between the two is minimal:

Now remove old and install new shock into truck.

The new upper mount of the JKS conversion stud is mighty large!!

The difference is just what I wanted!! Better Firmer feel with the benefit of extra length!!

CW

• 3 weeks later...

I have been experiencing some problems for the past couple weeks. In speaking with some friends we narrowed it down to three different possibilities.

1) The "plug" for the CPS. it shouldn't be there, factory requested all dealers remove plug and solder wires.

2) The coil/ignition module. mine had some pretty bad cracks in the epoxy. I swapped it for another I had. I THOUGHT this fixed it...but a couple days ago the problem returned.

3) The fuel pump. Now I KNEW I had somewhat of a problem here as my Fuel rail will not hold pressure for more than a couple hours. Recently it just wouldn't start after sitting overnight. then Wednesday, it stalled when pulling out into traffic and was VERY hard to get started. the next AM, it wouldn't start again. SO, i decided to change out the pump. I figured, it cannot hurt and it will fix my pressure problems anyhow.

Here is the OLD assembly:

It came out with relative ease. Two of the tabs bent over but where easily bent back.

There are two different pumps that COULD have been in my 1989 Comanche.

I removed the old pump form its cradle and re-installed the new pump and its fittings:

Then Juan put it back in and changed the filter for me:

Lastly, here is a video clip of the install and one of the jeep running after the install. enjoy.

CW

• 1 month later...

Well, its been some time sisnce I added anything here, so I figured an update was in order.

I havent done a whole lot as there isnt mh left that needs doing...

But I put my All Terrain BFG's back on. But this time I mounted tham on the Factory 10 spokes. I painted them GRAPHITE alum wheel paint.

This is a 33X10.5X15 tire on a factory 15X7 rim with 5.25" of back spaceing. no rubbing.

CW

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nothing really new to add....

Going to be swapping out the front coils soon. The ones I have are a tad on the lightly sprung side. If I hit speed bumps at more than ten MPH I bottom out hard...

Looking at 5.5 RE coils. Just wanna be sure they are shorter than what I have now...believe it or not, I don't want it any higher than it is!!!

CW

Did buy another Jeep...2004 KJ for the wife!!! Here she is the day we picked it up.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found