CW's MJ 2005 - 10

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea...no paint...too expensive!!! Macco advertised a half price Ambassitor paint job....but didn't mention what ISNT included and what DOSEN'T get done for that price..... I'll paint it this summer myself!!

Here is my ECTED before install:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I did get it back last night though!!! jamminz.gifjamminz.gifjamminz.gifjamminz.gifjamminz.gif Drives REALLY nice!!

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I have the Detours mount and winch to put on this Sat for a easy wheeling trip this Sunday...stay tuned!!!

CW

Well...it was a long day at my buddies today... I ran the wire for the ECTED and adjusted the exhaust no problems. Found that the rear most strap on the gas tank is almost rusted thru!!! I wonder, are these available???

I got the JKS discos mounted up. They work very nicely!!

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I cut the factory switch plate in the dash, right beside the power comfort switch, for the ECTED switch. Looks nice. Wired it up and checked the connections. Done.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

We moved on to the winch mount. Again it went pretty smooth. Drilled three holes in the pass side and installed all bolts. DONE.

On to the winch itself.....It needs square nuts for mounting...I didn't have any. So it was a trip to the store. 15$ later I have bolts, washers and square nuts. Mounted that up and moved on to the solenoid box. I put it beside the winch on the pass side. its temp, I would really like to get it under the hood like I have on the TJ. I didn't have the bolts for the side mounts on the Optima battery...SO its back to the store for a couple GM style batty stud bolts. Got those and made the connections. I removed all existing connections and added die electric grease and re-tightened. We stretched the synthetic line between my buddies YJ and the MJ. We where on a slight grade so the weight of the MJ was used to coil the line nice and neat. DONE.

Then its time to try the locker!! I pull out and hit the switch....nuttin'. I go around a corner expecting the inside tire to begin chirping....again nuttin'.... We go back to garage and My buddie double checks we are getting 12V at the diff...we are. We jack it up and double check with both rear wheels off the ground. LSD works nice...but again...NO LOCKER!!! He figures that possibly the oil is too thick from the cold and I should just drive it and once its warm it should work....

After cleaning up the mess and putting the tools away, I drive home. I get home and back in the driveway. My side is just gravel and still packed snow covered. So I figure its a good place to check the locker. I hit the switch and then the gas....I just sit there like a cheby..spinning one wheel. What gives??? The ECTED in the TJ will spin BOTH with it locked or not. Only time the LSD is defeated is if I really, really force it. This one acts like a OPEN diff!!! I mean come on...BOTH rear tires on packed snow with nothing in the bed and only ONE rear tire is spinning???? NOT RIGHT!!!!

Sometimes it just aint easy... :mad: :headpop:

CW

:headpop: that seriously BLOWS about the ECTED man, hopefully itll get resolved peacefully, and QUICKLY! :hateputers:

good luck man, you puttin the stock bumper on over the detours for the time being?

and, my brother re-located his warn solenoid box to the area in front of the pressure bottle above the relay box. don't remember how he mounted it, probly zip ties knkowing him. just an idea for a location!

There's a lot of deffective ECTEDs floating around. Almost all of the first run of them for the D44 only work intermittantly or not at all... Apparently they fixed that for the second run.

The good news is that they're supposed to be very good about exchanging them; so you should have no trouble getting another.

I'm too poor for selectables... Spools never fail you.

There's a lot of deffective ECTEDs floating around. Almost all of the first run of them for the D44 only work intermittantly or not at all... Apparently they fixed that for the second run.

The good news is that they're supposed to be very good about exchanging them; so you should have no trouble getting another.

I'm too poor for selectables... Spools never fail you.

Well, I guess thats something... I read alot about these "NEW" versions. they are supposed to lock up tighter as well....Not mine..it dosent lock at all!!! the LS blows as well!!! I have had fact trash locks that where tighter!!! I felt like I was wheeling a open diff today!!!

Here is some pics of todays run. VERY easy trail. Only real obstical was that there was ICE EVERYWHERE!!!

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I sent a Email to Auburn. Hope its a fast fix..only trouble is the cost of resetting up the gears...AGAIN!!! :headpop: :mad:

CW

OK, I spoke with Auburn today. they gave me two tests to do. First was to check OHM's of the coil. Should be between 3.2 and 3.8 OHM's. Mine has 100% continiuty!!! There is NO resistance. I guess my coil is shorted out, huh??

The second test passed. Ck 12V under load and it has almost 13V all the time.

I'll contact them again Wed and get a new coil sent out overnight. This can be changed WITHOUT having to resetup the gears. BUT will require the bearing to be pulled off and then re pressed on for re-instilation. But its a LONG SHOT cheaper then a complete re-gear setup!!!

Stay tuned for more in this on going saga.....

CW

Well, I finally got ahold of Jamie from Auburn Gear!! He is one busy guy!!! I had to call him as I don't get good reception at work for him to leave me a message!!!

Any way, He says I need a new unit. There is NO D44's avalible just now!!! :eek: :eek: This is the MFG!!! He says they should be avalible first part of next week. But thats what he said LAST week...time will tell.

I could have removed mine and sent it back for a rebuild. but decided not to deal with the added costs of having the MJ sitting on a lift for a week. Besides, like a friend pointed out, what if they find something wrong that dosent allow my unit to be rebuilt? In that case, I would be getting a new unit anyhow. So I desided to have them send the entire unit. I also asked him to personally bench test this one BEFORE he ships it.

As far as the costs this will create...I am on my own!!! :headpop: :headpop: :headpop:

SO, if all goes well, I should have the new unit for next week end and get it installed shortly there after!!!

I'll keep evaryone posted.

CW

I got my new speakers in today!!!

What a day here!!! 63 degrees in the sun!!! :eek: :eek:

Did the rears first:

Followed by NEW LIGHTS!!!!

These are CLEARANCE lights. I have had them for some months. just didnt have the oppertunity to install. I saw someone else here used them as well!! they completely cover the factory hole. I cut some 1/4" plywood for a backer. I cut it bigger than the opening and bored a hole thru the center. Drilled two more holes and screwed together!!!

The wiring is confusing. I wired it using the red wire and the Black W/white line. This way they funtion as normal.

Than I soldered everything:

On to the fronts. I decided to put the crossovers in the kick pannels and the tweeters where the power windows would be.

It sounds REALLY GOOD!!! MUCH clean and chrisper then what I had!!!

I also took the opertunity for a really good cleaning!!!

I also threw on a GRANT steering wheel!!

Dude, CW, you should go get some spray dye for that headliner. Mine looked just like that and I took it out and dyed it when I did all the work last summer. Autozone or Advanced, I forget which one, had the dye and it took a few coats but it matched up pretty decent. I have the same blue interior...

2460890_35_full.jpg

2460890_36_full.jpg

I don't know if your headliner is saggin, fortunately mine wasnt so I just scraped off the fluffy stuff that was left on it and dyed it. Nice and simple...

I found a set of BFG AT's for the MJ last week. They are 33 X 10.5 X 15's 5 in total, all on alum AR rims. Spare is brandy new, never on the road. Others about 20 - 25% worn. Rims have never been cleaned, so they need a good amount of elbow grease to get them back to new condition.

There is nothing wrong with the MT's I have on there now. Just prefer the AT for my purposes. The MT's will get stored for another day.

Here is the brandy new spare:

Here is the worst of the remaining 4:

Here is a detail shot of how dirty they are!! :cry:

This is just part of my ongoing "project". I'll be adding the Drop Brackets with the warmwer weather and these tires with those drops should make for a nice smooooth ride!! :brows:

CW

I called AUBURN today.... Aparently some units came off the assembly line earlier this week and one was bench tested for me. It will be shipped today or at the latest Monday. I should see it mid week and install next Saturday.

I also found a problem....My drivers side rear axle seal is leaking! I spoke to my mechanic and he told me he hoped that wouldn't happen... Apparently, the seal surfaces on the axle shafts where not in too good shape. When he put them in. He put them on the lathe and did his best to clean them up before the install. He dosen't think he will be able to do anything about the leak.

SO.... :brows: its time to UPGRADE!!! I have a set of Superior alloy axle shafts coming as well!!! Not too bad of a price either, $269!

More as it happens..

CW

I called AUBURN today.... Aparently some units came off the assembly line earlier this week and one was bench tested for me. It will be shipped today or at the latest Monday. I should see it mid week and install next Saturday.

I also found a problem....My drivers side rear axle seal is leaking! I spoke to my mechanic and he told me he hoped that wouldn't happen... Apparently, the seal surfaces on the axle shafts where not in too good shape. When he put them in. He put them on the lathe and did his best to clean them up before the install. He dosen't think he will be able to do anything about the leak.

SO.... :brows: its time to UPGRADE!!! I have a set of Superior alloy axle shafts coming as well!!! Not too bad of a price either, $269!

More as it happens..

CW

did you go with the spline upgrade kits? or just regular spline?