CW's MJ 2005 - 10

I found a used Roll Bar (Sport Bar)....Looks like I DO HAVE another project!!!

The guy I got it from had no idea what it was from. Looks to me like it was for a step side something or other as its pretty narrow. 48" at its widest with a 39" wide base. Its like new NO RUST at all!!!

Measuring it looks like I can cut it in the center and add some tube. Then adapt the rear legs and it should fit nicely. It's 3" tube, I stopped tonight and picked up two scrap pieces about 12" long.

My other option is to chop it just to the outside of the down rear tubes and add a 6" piece to EACH side.

This pic shows how much I need to widen it.

Measuring and figuring quickly, It looks like I might be able to split the twin rear bars so one is on the floor of the bed, while the other is on top of the wheel well.

I have 7" of distance (Each side) between the roll bar and the side of the bed. So 12" (6 each side) may just be the magic number. That will bring the OAW to 60" the width of the cab is 63". Height is pretty good. its almost dead even with the roof. So I may lift it an inch or so, although its not a safety device so it doesn't really matter as long as it looks OK.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great write up, I love the do it yourself aspect. If you have any plans for a roll cage I would wait with the roll bar idea you have and just do it all custom. if you want the "burly" looks of the roll bar I say go for it... I don't know how serious of a wheeler you are building but it looks great thus far and even has good function.

great write up, I love the do it yourself aspect. If you have any plans for a roll cage I would wait with the roll bar idea you have and just do it all custom. if you want the "burly" looks of the roll bar I say go for it... I don't know how serious of a wheeler you are building but it looks great thus far and even has good function.

This "Roll Bar" is more for the "BURLY LOOK" than the true functional roll cage. Its not intended to be a safety roll cage in any way. But Having said that, I'm not going to run out with some sheet metal screws and attach it!!! :eek: :D

Feerocknok,

You got a sharp eye!! Yes I will!! Likely to those rear bars on the roll bar.

Wombat,

I have wheeled this and will do so on easy trails. but my wheeling Jeep is a '99 TJ . Its got about everything I need to tackle any trail I have come across. Its not done, (Are they ever done?) But its close. Next year it will get Q78 swampers and a rebuilt front axle with alloy shafts and another ECTED locker like the rear has. The front that's there now will be gutted and its Aussie locker will go into the MJ!!! Click on the link in my sig and check out all the pics I have in my photo bucket account!!

Sure If you have the pic of the mounting plates that would be great!! I'll get the idea of where the factory wanted it. I doubt I'll be able to get it exactly where the factory one goes...but I can get close!!

Twisted, thanks for the compliments!! jamminz.gif :bowdown:

Thanks,

CW

CW,

I will take pictures this weekend. It's bascially a big right angle plate that's bolted to the frame, then goes up right in the corners of the box and has 4 holes to bolt the roll bar down too. it's actually a pretty sturdy arrangement. The only thing keeping it from being a true piece of safety gear is the weak attachment for the rear legs. The whole whig would just flop backwards rather than tear from it's front mounts.

Just found this tread awsome job on that tiregate did you or are you going to add a bump stop for the bottom of the tire to hold the weight or the tire to keep it from breaking welds my buddy didnt on his XJ and lost tire going down road ended up bouncing and going through the wind shield of parked car.Although the weld did last 2 yr before it happend.

Just found this tread awsome job on that tiregate did you or are you going to add a bump stop for the bottom of the tire to hold the weight or the tire to keep it from breaking welds my buddy didnt on his XJ and lost tire going down road ended up bouncing and going through the wind shield of parked car.Although the weld did last 2 yr before it happend.

I added this instead:

So when it closes, the gate lifts up and sitts on top of the side post. So all the weight, of the entire gate is sitting on the strongest piece. :D ;)

CW

Sorry I was talking about the hub where the tire bolts to the tiregate under/behind the tire itself to support it so it won't bounce around and break the welds loose not the whole gate I think you did a kick azz job with your build up and not just the gate. Ive just seen a couple of tires break stuff from bouncing heck I had a stock size spare bust the back of my old cj-5 because I only had Two lug nuts holding it on carrier. Sorry for confusion hope I didnt offend you wasnt trying to. Sean...

Sorry I was talking about the hub where the tire bolts to the tire gate under/behind the tire itself to support it so it won't bounce around and break the welds loose not the whole gate I think you did a kick azz job with your build up and not just the gate. Ive just seen a couple of tires break stuff from bouncing heck I had a stock size spare bust the back of my old cj-5 because I only had Two lug nuts holding it on carrier. Sorry for confusion hope I didn't offend you wasn't trying to. Sean...

Offend me HOW??? I LIKE showing pics and talking about my JEEPS!!! :D jamminz.gif 8)

WELL, Here is what I have done in that regard:

I have extra bracing under and on the sides. I have extra thick mounting plate as well as three bolts holding the tar on. Then I set the depth so the side walls of the tar are compressing against the frame of the swing out.

I mounted the whole shebang at a slight angle so the tar is using gravity to hold it on the gate. Its very solid with zero rattles or movement once its latched.

CW

Well, I got to work on the ROLL BAR today!!

I chopped it in the center and added 12.5" to the two main hoops.

Then I chopped the rear bars so the outer most ones would sit on the sides of the wheel wells and added plates on them so I could bolt them down.

Then I ground down the welds and filled the lo spots with red lead.

Then PAINT!!

I really like the new look!!!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Tomorrow I'll finish bolting it down.

Then I'll weld the Hi-Lift mounts. Screw on the new fire extinguisher and mount up my CO2 bottle!!

CW

Wow that rollbar turned out great looked like it fit a Ranger splash to begin with I used to work for a local Offroad shop and sold/installed a couple,that things looking less and less like a DD and more trail duty all the time keep up good work. Sean....

Irish,

I kinda figured it was for a splash or chebys version..Thanks for the conformation!!

Today I swapped out the ACOS's for some poly spacers. I only used them because I was unsure what kind of lift the RUSTYS rear leafs would give me....

Then I drilled and finished mounting the roll bar to the bed. I remounted my Hi-Lift. This time to the floor of the bed directly under the roll bar. I need to make up a new mount for the CO2 bottle and the larger Fire Extinguisher.

Here is a couple pics:

CW

SEAN,

I have a pile-O-parts growing for my NEXT jeep. :brows:

I have the ACOS's some extended shackles. Those rims I just finished painting up with a set of new BFG at's in 30X9.5X15 tars. I have a XJ fact push bar, a adj front track bar. A set of YJ shocks and a set of YJ front brake hoses.

So as you can see, I will be holding on to this stuff for the next "DEAL" on a Jeep that comes my way!!

Looking at those pics I can see one big problem....my bed NEEDS a paint job!!!!

CW

Thanks anyway just thought Id throw that out there. as for the paint you talking in the bed if so have you thought about Durabak? Pretty good stuff Ive been thinking about using it or maybe checking on the Cabela's brand as they show- white,dark grey,sand,tan,grey,olive,and black. I mean its no Rhino liner or Line x but for 68.00 a gallon and rool on your self not bad.I just found a guy that has 3 comanche's 2 2wds and 1 4wd 1 4.0 and 1 2.5 and 1 no motor or trans not shure what trans the other two have going now to check on these 300.00 for all w/parts he says so have to run,later....Sean.

CW,

I apologize for not getting those pics up as promised. I got busy installing a water heater this weekend and went to the Steelers game on sunday, totally forgot.

From the looks of it your rollbar sitts too far in anyway. My plates are right in the front corners of the bed.

• 4 weeks later...

I had put in Sylvania Silver star headlights a while back. the much better light you get from them is a big improvement over reg halogen bulbs. Monday was my birthday, my wife got me a set of replacement lights that use the H4 bulbs like I have in my TJ. These are even a bit nicer as they are glass not plastic. I am not a huge fan of the "Blue" bulbs, but thats the style today. I put a set of the same silver star bulbs in when these burn out. Here is some pics of them and the differences in light output. More pics later when it gets dark.

Here is the OLD Sylvanias:

Here is the new H4's:

Here is a shot of the old Sylvania lo-beam:

Here is one of the H4's lo-beam:

As you can see even in daylight, the H4's are "whiter" even though they have the blue tinted bulbs. The Sylvanias seem yellow. They certainly seemed white compared to a reg halogen back when I installed them. Now these H4's seem brighter/whiter than that!!

Like I said, I am not thrilled with the blue tint to them, but I like the light out put. We shall see what they look like later on tonight! Stay tuned.....

CW