CW's MJ 2005 - 10

I know what you mean...I have worried over this for some time. These are leaf spring bushings I had bought for the Rustys leafs that went is in the spring. they came with bushings, so I had these left over. they are made of Poly, so deflection should be minimal. But if its a problem, I could do alum as you suggest. Good tip!!

I still need to work on a latch........I have seen some but cannot find them to purchase.

I have looked in Mc Master Carr and Granger, Granger has simularbut not what I really want.....

I have a pic somewhere.....

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I just need to find a supplier!!!

CW

EDIT...

FOUND IT!!!

http://www.carrlane.com/Catalog/index.c ... 285351415B

EXACTLY what I wnated. It was right here LOCAL!!! $32 bucks STAINLESS!!! I decided on the 1000lb model over the 500# in the link I posted.

Got it here:

DELUCA INDUSTRIAL SUPPLIES

581 HOPE ST

PO BOX 2459

STAMFORD, CT 06906

United States

Phone 203-327-2040

Fax 203-327-7229

(Incase anyone else wanted to know......)

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very impressed.

:cheers:

Thank you :bowdown:

I was BUSY TODAY!!! I got ablut 99% done!!! Need some final grinding and then primer and paint!!

OK, I started with my hinges. Got everything carefully allighned and tacked...

Then I got the tabs positioned and welded those up...

Then it was on to the main gate. I had origionally hoped to surface mount it. I mean make the hinged on the outside and hane the gate hit the frame work on the other side as a stop. But I didnt figure on the distance of the hinge from the frame on the pass side... SO, I had to cut down the overall legnth.

I decided to use a piece of angle iron for the drivers side as it would give me a stop and everything would align nicely. I also threw in the center support. I used a piece of "C" iron for that...

Next is the angled support bars.

Now on to the tar mount... First I figured the max BS rim I would use was the factory @ 5.5" added an inch for mounting depth and another 1 for good measure and welded that to the "C" channel.

Then a short piece of angle iron as a gusset...

Now for the mounting flange. I rummeged arround at work and found a old piece of gym equptment we tossed out. SOMEONE had the good sence to remove everything possible and chop up the larger usable pieces for other projects. I found a 1/4'' thick 5''x10" piece someone bent into a piece of angle iron. I drilled for the bolt circle and welded in some lug studs.

I made a trial fit keeping the tar straight up and down..

I didnt like it. So I cut the straight piece at a slight angle and welded it up.

I am happy with how it came out. I also am happy with the very little deflection I get!! the first shot is how it sitts at rest. the second is what happens when you first open the gate.

I still need to mount the latch. I'll put that at the bottom on the drivers side.

Now to disassemble one last time for painting!!!! I'll post up some final shots when thats done....

CW

I have thought about it alot....still undecided. Also thought about expanded metal over the entire face.......

Time will tell.....

I took it all apart lastnight, and got it painted... needs a couple more coats. here's the final shots.

Now all thats left is to mount the latch and weld up the ends of the cross pieces.

CW

I started on my tire gate tonight. How did you mount the bottom of the frame to the truck? I'm trying to make it so I can pull mine off, and mount a normal tailgate, should I ever want to, and I'm going to pick up some new latch parts this weekend to weld to, just can't figure out how to get it in place.

I used alot of the factory pieces...

On the top I welded directly to the latches on the sides of the body:

On the bottoms, I removed the "cups" drilled out the upper hole, spot welded the sides because I didnt trust the actory ones. Then I just incerted them into the bottom, cross pipe and welded it in. then I was able to use the hole I drilled to reattach the bottom tube to the body.

Hope this better explains how I did it,

CW

When I was at work today, I was looking at a clamp exactly like that, and thinking "Wasn't CW looking for a clamp for his tailgate? Maybe I should get him the part number for this thing..."

Looks good.

Thanks for thinkin of me!! ;)

CW

I don't see why not......they also offered a more HD unit, a 2000# clamp. At the last minute I went for the 1000# unit over the 500#er...GLAD I DID!!! the 1000# unit is not a large as I expected.

You would want to mount it so it couldnt get hit as it will open pretty easy if contact is made with it....

CW

• 4 weeks later...

I have NEVER liked the factory "flag" mirrors some MJ/XJ's came with. I also see an alarming number of pillar mounted mirrors broken. I put 6" round convex mirrors on my TJ a while back and REALLY like the new views. They are meant for big rigs as a "add-on" mirror for blind spots.

I am able to see whats under the rear tar as wll as the roof of the Jeep with out moving my head!! I am not able to see what the guy in the drivers seat is doing two cars back, but I also don't really care...he is behind me. I have NO BLIND spots and can back up with great confidence. SO, guess what...I put the same kind on the MJ!!!

I gat them at the parts store. They are GROTE brand.

I removed the inner door release and this affforded some good access to tighten the nuts. So I did'nt even need to take the door pannels off!!!

They fold up nicely!!

Here is the drivers view:

Here they are all done!!

Bri

• 1 month later...