CW's MJ 2005 - 10

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will bolt to the factory tow hook mounts. Thats for sure...

I got my R.E.Drop brackets today!!

This waiting for my truck is KILLING ME!!!! I think I am having withdrawls..I haven't driven it since the 8th of January!!!

CW

This waiting for my truck is KILLING ME!!!! I think I am having withdrawls..I haven't driven it since the 8th of January!!!

CW

Well at least you have gotten to drive yours man I have never drove mine.Still trying to get it together so I can relate kind of I still drive the wife every day

Its been slow and laid back here with out my MJ to fiddle with...

Getting ready for the game and figured I had time to strip the cable from the used winch I picked up....GLAD I DID!!! It has a couple pretty bad kinks and one frayed area. Guess where.....yup almost dead center!!! The kinks are not aweful but still there.

I guess its time to try synthetic line!!! :brows: jamminz.gif

Anyone else using it??

CW

I got a call on friday from Mark @ Detours. He said my back bone was ready for pickup!! I couldn't get there till tonight.

VERY NICE!!!

This is NOT the one pictured on his site. he has made a couple changes and lightened it up by about 5lbs. He moved the shackle ounts up under the winch plate and "vented" the non structural areas. resulting in the weight savings while retaining all the stregnth.

He said he has sold quite a few of these and NEVER HAD ONE COME back!! BTW, its gaurentd not to break!

Here are some detail shots:

I almost cannot wait, untill SVE finishes up my MJ so I can get this mounted and try it out!!!! :thumbsup: :loveit: jamminz.gif

Bri

I have not driven mine in almost 2 months while trying to get the lift on and other things that I am doing to it. I just installed the drop brackets on mine and they are pretty awesome.

... :eek: i think i would :cry: without my truck for 2 months. i couldn't cope.

The Jeep Comanche, my anti-drug.

i heard they have less recoil when they break

They do. Most competitions require it for this reason. And yeah, it is way lighter.

The problem with running it on a trail rig is keeping it clean. Any dirt/mud that gets trapped in the line acts as an abrasive and just the stretching of the rope in use causes it to wear heavily. Most of the comp guys that avoid mud like the plauge still have to replace their rope every year as it simply becomes too frayed and failure prone. It also has to be protected from external abrasion - normally with a cover and by not routing it stupid. However, if you f' up and do break it - it can be tied back together providing you know what you're doing.

If saving the weight, avoiding getting pricked, and wanting some added safety, outweighs the inherent higher cost of it (due to life) - then more power to ya.

I never use my winch anyways. Hence it isn't on the truck. Best of everything that way!

I decided on it for a number of reasons...(most mentioned)

First and foremost safety. Its plain safer with synthetic.

As for the dirt, wash it!! Throw it in the washing machine, it works fine!!!

As for mud...I avoid it!! So thats not a problem either.

Vehicle maintance is a top priority for me. I always take the time to properly respool my steel line, so its likely I'll do the same for the synthetic.

Lastly, the steel line was frayed and kinked form miss use. (prev owner) It was $130 for steel and $150 for synthetic. Weight savings was a nice addition as well!!

I too haven't needed it much on the TJ. When I needed it I was sure glad it was there!! But thats locked both ends. I don't condone wheeling alone, in the same reguard, I like to be a self sufficent as I can.

CW

I think I am going thru withdrawls..... :eek: :oops: :headpop: :eek:

We have a club run this Sunday... I am assured I will have it for this run.

Trouble is, I would REALLY like to get the winch and winch mount of for this run as well.... As you may know...its NOT JUST A BOLT ON.

I got a bit of a "fix" Sat when my buddie and I swapped in a Tera 4to1 kit W/2wd lo into my TJ. Thats freakin' LO!!!

CW

I got the phone call this afternoon.....the MJ is DONE!!! WOOHOO!! I'll pick it up Thursday night! I don't think I'll sleep at all tonight! :roll:

Saturday is lined up as a wrenching day!!! Got that DETOURS mount and WARN M8000 to install as well as the JKS discos and wire up the ECTED!!!

Going WHEELING SUNDAY!!!!

CW

:drool:

thats all i have to say.

actualy i have a question. do you ever notice the long bed being dragged on the ground in this NE wheeling? I'm going to trim mine up, and make a wrap around bumper, but i was just wondering what your take on this is.