CW's MJ 2005 - 10

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The KJ gots a 3.7 auto, 8.25 29spl axle 3:73 gears and a LS diff. We just put a set of Goodyear Silent Armour 245-70-16's on it. NICE TIRE!! Sane tire we just put on the WJ!!

Image Not Found

As to the WJ... it died. About two months ago the wife go in a very bad accident with it...rolled it twice. Ultimately, it was totaled. My wife only hurt her elbow (slightly, nothing serious) when it broke the drivers side window. Seat belt bruises and she is fine.

Other driver accused her of running a red light... It turns out he shouldn't be driving and HE RAN the light!!! Hit her right in the pass side front door and glanced reward into the pass side rear tire. The impact tore the rear axle almost completely out of the WJ!!! Lifted the trouk and flipped it so fast it never even touched the road with the roof!!!!

Luckly, no one was really badly hurt, insurances paid all parties so we went out and bought this, it was her choice. She is the one driving it anyhow. I didn't really have an opinion on the Libby. Turns out I'm very impressed, I like it.

CW

I could have taken about anything I wanted... Only took stuff I added, like lights (PIA), headlights and push bar. You know stuff that I could use on this/next rig. Wanted the tires as they where brandy new, but the ins co increased my buyout offer 500$ to allow for the tires.

She loves the KJ. I gotta say it really is a nice lil buggie!! Perfect for her/us. We have no kids and no plans for any. (Gettin' too old now :oops: )

CW

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you,

Its a fun stress reliever. Now I just need to get time to use it in the woods and on the rocks!!!

I have a couple things planned for warmer weather...

1) I picked up some ford 4.6 injectors

2) New front coils

3) 97+ front end (not completely decided)

4) PAINT... again :oops: :cry: :headpop:

5) New carpet/rubbermat for interior along with that hedliner.

As far as the front coils... Got two choices. I could just get a set of 4 - 4.5 stiffer rate coils and put them in and call it good. OR, I could go with say a 6" BDS coil or 6.5 Rustys and SOA the rear to balance.

The spring rate of the coils I have now are too light. The ride and flex are very good. But I cannot hit a bump at any kind of speed with out bottoming out.

CW

That's insane that you say that.

When I was 17 (5 yrs ago) and was pulling into my work parking lot, and watched my grandmother, in an 02 WJ, get hit HARD by an Excursion in the front right side, because she was making a left into the parking lot.

The jeep spun around, and the back passenger corner smacked the excursion, and the jeep hit the air, did literally a full flip in the air, bounced off the tires, then a half flip leaving her sliding on her roof..

I freaked out, hopped outta my ZJ, ran over, and watched her support herself, undo seatbelt, drop down, and start to crawl out the window, turn back around, get her new Coach purse, and crawl back out.

Mind you, about 10 minutes later she went into shock from the excitement. But the only damage was bruises.

Thumbs Up for WJ's!!

Well CW, nice very nice rig. I have referenced here a few times but I decided to sit and read your buildup from the beginning, and 2 hrs later and done and very impressed with your build up and appreciate the writ up and pics and videos, very thoughtful for the other jeep folks. And I really like that bone bumper set up. Great price and function. Just what I want got what I need for now without putting so much money out and then I can add to it to give it that personal touch you know? Again nice jeep as well as the TJ. Look forward to see what you decide as far possibly lifting it to around 6.5". (Hope you do) jamminz.gif

Thanks for the compliments!!

I was at 6.5 for a while, before I switched out to 1 ton steering and had problems. I put the HD steering is some time back and swapped in the 4.5" used coils at the same tiem. I lowered the ACOS's to put me at about 6 where I am now. My question is the coils. they are from an unknown source and spring rate. The do not appear to be sagged, but I really do not have any referance to compir them to. They are just too soft. I really liked (like) the soft ride, but the bottoming when going over potholes or speed bumps at anything above a crawl is annoying!

I spoke with a good friend of mine who is a BDS dealer and he ordered me a set of 4.5" coils with a set of 6.5's on hold. I put them in with out the ACOS's and see what I get. I want a front lower rake and would rather not play with the rear suspention unless I have too.

I also thought of another project.... I really need to build some protection for the lower rear quarters. My pop dented mine up pretty good last June in New Hanpshire. I saved some pics of some other guys on here and will intergrate all into my own and tie that into my rear bumper.

CW

New front coil springs arrived yesterday. :cheers: jamminz.gif

I also have a new 3core radiator coming.....

EDIT: Arrived today!!

Need to decide on what I am going to do to stiffen the leafs... XJ main leaf..BDS full legnth helper... I don't want lift, just to increase spring rate a bit.

Write-ups to follow... :brows:

CW

Hey, I'm new to the forum. Just bought myself a 86 2.8 Comanche Custom.

Its going to be a nice project. one thing i have to do is carpet and headliner, there is house carpet in my MJ and i just tore the headliner out today. It was just the fiberglass stuff. REAL NASTY. ill start a post about my project.

and by the way, you do some good work. I like how its turning out

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Radiator is perfect, temp get just over 200 then drops to about 190 or so.

Busted a muffler hanger... BIOTCH of a fix.... Didn't have time for a correct fix, so a coat hanger is sufficing until I can get to a real fix later this week.

The RE add-A-leaf arrived Saturday!! It LOOKS, like its gonna work well. Its got just a bit more arch than my Rusty's pack. (Like I hopped) Just not sure about OAL length. OOH, don't get me wrong, I know its gonna fit... I just hope I won't need to cut them so the length falls between what I have now.

As usual... pics to come.

:roll: :brows: :brows:

CW

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I FINALLY got time to get the bolts out of the manifold yesterday!!

Really wasn't hard at all, the air hammer knocked them right out NO PROBLEM!!! I lifted the frame until my suspension completely unloaded. This allowed lots of room. The front was a BREEZE!!! The rear just a bit more stubborn. I was also able to clean things up under there. i mean I was under there twice with some wire supporting the exhaust so it didn't fall out completely!!

I made a new mount just in-font of the cat. I turned the clamp and added a piece of 1.5" angle iron. The took a piece of 3/4X 1/8" steel and mounted that to the "T" case and finally welded them together where they met. I had long ago trashed the factory mid mount at the X member. Then lastly adjusted the last mount before the pipe exits in-front of the pass rear tire.

I had had a couple clunks that got found and eliminated with this little project as well!! All in all a good day!!

OH BTW.. the studs PRESS IN, NOT screw in as I first suspected. They throw you because the heads are hex as if they where threaded. NOT round like your wheel studs are.

CW

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay Jim!!! Its the switch that comes with the ECTED!! I have seen it offered somewhere...If I come across it I'll LYK!!

I received some bling for the 44 today... Bought it off EBAY cause it was advertised as being VERY THINK.... Its NOT but its not paper as many of these chrome covers can be.

Image Not Found

I also found a loose lower shock stud the other day.. gotta climb under it pretty soon.. COME ON WARM WEATHER!!!!

CW

I decided to throw on the Westin front bar I grabbed from the wife's WJ crash last year. I have been wanting to get some protection around my winch for some time. I put it up and stood back and looked at it. it looked feasible. It mounts with two bolts from the back. They go directly into the tubes.

First problem... the mounting bolts line up perfectly with the width of the back bone winch mount. So I cannot just drill two holes and mount it up as I had hoped. I had some 1.5X3 square stock on the shelf and figured I could make some quick brackets. I cut it at a 45 on one end and 90 at the other. My reasoning was because the mounting bolt is SO long, I would never have gotten it in with out the angle to remove the rear portion of the square tube. Then I positioned it so the tube fell almost at the edge, giving me as much space for the bolts as possible. I mounted these brackets to the fascia of the back bone with three 3/8 x1.5 bolts each. I was going to get fancy and make them studs so they would be easier to attach, but figured there would be plenty of room and skipped it. There was room and they mounted up easily.

Here is some pics of the brackets mounted up on the back bone winch mount.

It ended up being a bit higher than I would have liked. Not to mention how far it sticks forward. Here is a couple pics of the finished product.

CW

i love your mj, but that horn has to change!

I think it should be lower, so that way it can move in farther (closer to the winch).

Also, I think your brackets are to thin gauge, and that if you bump a tree your just going to bend the horn up and into your winch possibly damaging the winch.

Normally I would keep my mouth shout, but I have been reading your thread for forever and felt like I had to say something.

Keep up the good work, I envy your make it / spend it attitude, wish I could convince my wife to let me do that!

i agree with mitch , u need to ditch the box tubing as it apears to be to thin

and maby weld some 1/4" flat bar or some andle iron to the tube and then bolt it down but like u said run it for a couple days and see how u like it and if its gona stay then go from there jamminz.gif .

thats an awesome looking MJ, where did you pick up those clear corners?

I got them from a link to EBAY another member here posted up a month or so back. Maybe try a search on EBAY for them.

I agree guys, its is too light a bracket. But it was a quick install. Did it all in an hour last night. I do like the fact that it can be seen over the hood and from a distance really dosen't look as obtrusive.

I was looking at it again this am and think I may be able to use a 6" piece of large 4" angle iron for beefier bracket. This will allow the it to be mounted lower and closer to the jeep....

Its a work in progress. I'll work on it this week end when I dive into my new seats!!!! :brows: jamminz.gif

CW

check out my awesome photo editing skills!

What if you removed the section of tube I circled in red and figured out how to mount it that way, I then took the liberty of showing you how it may look if you mounted it this way, awesome eh?

cwci8.jpg