CW's MJ 2005 - 10

thats an awesome looking MJ, where did you pick up those clear corners?

I got them from a link to EBAY another member here posted up a month or so back. Maybe try a search on EBAY for them.

I agree guys, its is too light a bracket. But it was a quick install. Did it all in an hour last night. I do like the fact that it can be seen over the hood and from a distance really dosen't look as obtrusive.

I was looking at it again this am and think I may be able to use a 6" piece of large 4" angle iron for beefier bracket. This will allow the it to be mounted lower and closer to the jeep....

Its a work in progress. I'll work on it this week end when I dive into my new seats!!!! :brows: jamminz.gif

CW

I got the link up check out my page here... http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/view ... 6&start=30

CW i still like the progress. jamminz.gif

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to jump into the seat install first.....

I removed the old seats and started by bolting up the sliders that came with the seats... No instructions, leave you to decide on what is front and what back. I don't think it matters as I bolted one up each way to try to decide which was better. Both worked, but we decided on one over the other based on leverage of the adjuster.

Speaking of the adjusters... Problem #1, the bends on mine are all FUBAR!!! When you bolt it up, the tops tip in so when you try to slide, it comes off and will not work properly. I bent the ends with a large Phillips screw driver so that the two holes ran parallel with the sliders. You can see the re-bent ends.

The base bolts are wider by almost twice. So you need to make something to accommodate. I chose some 1.5"X3/16 steel. I cut two pieces to 15" and drilled one 3/8" hole in each end. Then bolted that to the sliders with 3/8X1" bolts and nyloc nuts.

Then I measured the factory seats and bases and decided on placement. Looks like the one base stud sits almost dead center. So I measured and marked both bases for center as well as my new cross pieces. I lined up the front base with the front edge and drilled two 1/4" holes using 1/4" X 1" bolts and nyloc nuts. The yellow marks are center line's.

The rear was just a matter of measuring so the slotted hole fell centered on the seat studs and drill for the two bolts.

Well, here arose problem number two...

The seats are wider than the factories and because of the design they also sit lower. (My biggest reason for wanting them!!) They would not bolt in as I had them put together. the base needed to be shifter out towards the door/outside of jeep by 5/8". It was hitting the " transmission hump". So I moved it over by 5/8" and reinstalled. You can just see the stud and how far it needs to move over.

On to problem number three...

These seats bases are way wider than what was in there. So the rear bolts/studs are now under the seat. Well, there is NO ROOM for the nuts or a wrench or even to see what your doing!! My pop was able to get his much smaller hands contorted enough to get the nut started. We got that tight only to find once it was the wrench wouldn't come off!!! Loosened it back up, found a thinner wrench and got it tight again. The inside bolt was easier, but still not a piece of cake!!

I was only able to get in the pass side, but here is the finished shots.

I don't know if I'll have a chance to get the drivers side in tomorrow, but we will see.

I also picked up some steel to move the push bar, but never got that far...

More to come!!

CW

This afternoon, I finished the seat install!! WOOHOO!!!

It was also not just a simple bolt in.... Seems Jeep needed to make more room for the Tcase. So the drivers side seat area is a bit smaller than the pass side. Because these seats are wider, this poses a bit of a problem. We looked and measured and found that we could take back some of the space jeep took when forming the floor pan. Courtesy of a 4lb sledge and some mussel.

After moving the floor back about an inch and a half we positioned the seat on the bases and marked them for the bolts. After the front was in it was easy to measure for the rear placement. That same rear bolt is a bugger on this side as well. But all in all, pretty much a carbon copy of the pass side. only this time we had a game plan. Took about an hour and a half. So that make this a bout a 4 hour or 6 beer job.

I like the look and the seating is stellar!! My head is now about 5" from the ceiling and I can see the gages from under the steering wheel!!! Before, with the old seats/bases my head was just about an inch from touching.

CW

• 2 weeks later...

i wonder if there is any way to get a third jump seat in there, like one out of a ranger rear, hmmmm.

The problem i see with it is that the ranger seats mount sideways.

I want to do the bucket seat install, yet i don't want to lose the ability to carry 3 ppl if needed.

i wonder if there is any way to get a third jump seat in there, like one out of a ranger rear, hmmmm.

The problem i see with it is that the ranger seats mount sideways.

I want to do the bucket seat install, yet i don't want to lose the ability to carry 3 ppl if needed

EDIT: oh, what about a fold up center seat from a 90s f250 xlt buckets, ill have to measure the one in my dads truck tomorrow. that would also give me a center consule. could be too wide though

• 1 month later...

I would say it will be too wide. You need to be looking at small trucks for donor seats.

UPDATE:

I installed the FORD injectors today!! Idles REALLY NICE!!!! Will post up fuel economy differences if any later.

Only problem was a broken air/vac line.

I was careful as I know these things are mighty brittle. But when re-installing the fuel rail I bumped the MAP line where it enters the TB and snapped it off flush. Easy fix really. I removed the rubber piece it mounts with. Drove out the broken piece and swapped ends with the remaining hose. I did this to get another 90degree bend coming out of the TB. Up at the firewall I was able to push on the rubber piece with out the bend. There was even enough slack!!

WOW Something actually went my way for a change!!!

I also broke a Lil clip on the Tb but that shouldn't cause any problems.

I put everything back together with dielectric grease for good measure.

CW

are those injectors direct bolt on. my 1, 3, and 5 cylinder injectors are sticking (that was causing my idle problem turns out) and would be interested in this mod.

Yup they are..i have a set of 5.0 injectors in mine...they have a better spray pattern than the stock renix ones so it atomizes the fuel better and you get a slight increase in MPG and throttle response...just make sure they are the 19lb/hr ones

are those injectors direct bolt on. my 1, 3, and 5 cylinder injectors are sticking (that was causing my idle problem turns out) and would be interested in this mod.

Yup they are..i have a set of 5.0 injectors in mine...they have a better spray pattern than the stock renix ones so it atomizes the fuel better and you get a slight increase in MPG and throttle response...just make sure they are the 19lb/hr ones

do u have product #s to the 5.0 injectors or know what vehicle they are in. I'm not familiar with the Ford engines.

EDIT: i think i found it is it the D5B injectors? 8)

• 3 months later...

Has it really been MAY since I made an up date?? Actually, I have done little in the way of mods as its nearing the end of what I want to do. One big one from two years back was and is still PAINT!! Well, I have begun to remedy that!! ;)

Its gonna be a bown and dirty job, a quick sand and a wipe down with solvent and shoot it. I only have three spots that need any more and even they are very small. I decided against removing all trim and flairs, I'll pull the tail lights and spray the door jambs, under the hood and fendertops first.

Yesterday I began sanding.

Tonight I began masking... but cannot find my paper so all I could do was the taping....

Then I went looking for my silvasol... it was almost empty!! So I only had a bit and I really needed to see how my color looked... SO, I wiped the nose and shot a bit-O-color!! :roll: :D

Seems a bit lighter than I wanted.. but it is what it is now.. I think it will look good once its all the same color. One thing for sure...it WILL bebrite!!

CW