CW's MJ 2005 - 10

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got out there early and just got in the house and jumped in the shower. I spent a 12 full hours working on the MJ!!!!

The tank is all painted and vents and fuel pump mounted. It ready to mount.

I started with the side panels. I clamped them to the frame and tacked them in place. I continued with the small welds until the panel was completely welded. Everything went well, until I ran out of .030 wire... .035 was giving my machine fits. Something going on with the feed. I got threw it, but it wasn't easy.

I repeated this for all four panels. Then welded in the bottom. Here is what I am using for the bottom. Its 1/8" thick and will fit over everything, allowing welding on the sides instead of the bottom.

Here is one of the rear most pieces welded in.

Here is a couple shots with everything welded ready for paint.

I also got the back of the cab shot with the new color!!

All in all, a good day!! Tomorrow I start on the bed... hopefully next week I can get the bed remounted to the frame!!!

CW

Brian, that is excellent, nice work. :thumbsup: Interesting about the 035 wire, Once I finish the roll of it I have in my welder I am buying 030, just for all the sheet metal I will be doing in the next couple months... (body of the xj is beginning to separate from the "frame") :ack: THe paint job looks great, nice pick on the color.

Brian, that is excellent, nice work. :thumbsup: Interesting about the 035 wire, Once I finish the roll of it I have in my welder I am buying 030, just for all the sheet metal I will be doing in the next couple months... (body of the XJ is beginning to separate from the "frame") :ack: The paint job looks great, nice pick on the color.

Thanks Casper & Art!!

Art,

It was weird.. I loaded and set the feed wheel for .035 wire and feed it into the "gun". It worked fine for a few inches to feet then wouldn't feed. I pulled the wire and it would be fine for another couple inches. Then jamb again. Closer inspection showed the bearing running on the grooved feed wheel was actually abrading & splitting the wire, causing the jambs!!! No matter, this is a 115V machine and .035 is bigger then I need, its just what I had when I finished my first spool of .030. I got to about 98% of done, so I called it quits and am heading out this AM for more paint and wire.

Today, I need to make a new bed mount for the one that's rusted away. Then its in the garage to strip and paint the beds underside.

Stay tuned...

CW

Didn't get too far today.. rain rain rain....

I DID pick up some more wire and still had feeding problems....

SO, I headed into the garage and my lights where on the fritz.. SO, three hours of running real lites and I was off to MJ work. Good news is now I am ready for nite work!! PLENTY of good lite now!!! :D :eek: :D :eek:

I got the busted bolt out. I got the bed cleaned and the front painted.

I measured and modified my lower mounts on the shocks and now they should be good to go.

I still need to replace the one DS mount. Its rusted beyond repair...

I am going to make a new mount with 1/4" thick stock.

More to come...

CW

I had some buddies stop by after work today and they flipped my bed so I can easier work on the under side!!

MAN IS THIS THING DIRTY!!!

About 30 minutes with a hi-speed grinder with a wire wheel and I had the bed almost ready for POR15!!

I decided to trim off the bent up tin at the rear of the bed..

I followed directions and removed only enough POR15 that I could use in 20 minutes and ladled it into the bowl.

Dinner break and I'm back to finish...

Now I just need to wait till we get some good weather and throw it back on the frame!!! Maybe Wednesday nite...

CW

So....how Much POR-15 did you get on yourself. :yes: No matter how hard I try, I always end up with blacks spots on me somewhere. Dad got some on his nose once....that was funny.

Looks good. Keep it up!

I had a long sleeved sweat shirt and blue rubber gloves on, but STILL got some on my hands!! Guess I'll have it with me for some time... I did get one dot on my lower lip, and a couple tiny spots on my neck :mad: but its not noticeable.

Forecast is for rain rain rain.... :headpop: :headpop: :headpop: Looks like I MIGHT get a break Wednesday afternoon. Other Than that, I might need to wait till SATURDAY!!!!

Thanks for the compliments!!

CW

I fixed the bad mount and remounted the bed today after work!!

I first ad to finish the second bed mount. I think it came out very well for a thrown together thing as my buddies stood around watching. :D What do you think?

Here is the bed on the frame...

It won't run as the gas tank is still out so the winch gets lots of use tugging it out and spooling her back in the garage!!

Still have to finish the gas tank and hang the exhaust, then reinstall the swing out and move the HI-LIFT to the top of the bad rail. I didn't like this place at first, but my brother-in-law has his there and I do like the look and the ability to have complete bed access. THEN, I would like to chop the bottom of the bed and extend my rear bumper forward and back into the frame.

CW

Only had a couple hours this AM so I got out there early.... ( The neighbors gotta love me!!) I finally welded the expanded metal on my swing out gate and shot it with the old stand by... Rustoleum Black!!:

and then I wired in my Hella battery cut off switch.

I have had one in my TJ for many years, I like the ability to shut off the juice!!

CW

PS... Today's test drive proved why some replacement tanks SUCK!! Apparently they lack the "Cradle" or "Chair" to properly support the pump. The result is FREAKING NOISE!!!! My pump is intermittently buzzing and pulsating. VERY annoying!!! I also still seem to have a little leak!!! Its either the grommets for the breathers. I reused the old ones as they seemed perfectly fine. OR its the metal hoses where they are soldered to the flange. OR its the short hoses them selves going from the steel lines to the tank.

CW

CW- my parts truck does have the tailgate pieces your looking for, but I forgot my torx-bits :fs1:

I'll get them this weekend.

Thanks man, but I am all set with these parts. Another member came thru with them. I got them yesterday and hopefully wil have them ready for install this weekend.

I found my gas leakage is from the plate where the hoses attach. Its the same piece that holds the fuel pump.

I decided to try to fix it with some of that epoxy junk that you need together and plaster on. Didn't work so well.....

Then, I started my rear bumper build. I am going to make the bumper come around the sides of the bed and reattach to the frame forward, just behind the rear tires. I was going to use the same 4" water pipe I used for the bumper itself. But decided against it and will be using 2x4x.125 stock and mount it at a bias. So far I just cut the bed sides..

I also made up better wires for my battery cut off.

Cut the cable to length. Cut and push on some heat shrink tubing and finally the crimp on lug.

I soldered the crimp on connection.

After it cools, push the shrink tubing over the bare wires.

Heat the shrink tubing for a water tite, sealed wire.

CW

OH.. be sure you tie your wires up and away from your alternator fan.. or you will be remaking that wire you just made... :headpop: :headpop: :fs1: :headpop: :fs1: :headpop: :headpop: :fs1: :headpop: :fs1: :headpop:

Oh yes I did!!!

Here is the replacements...

• 2 weeks later...

I mocked up a couple pieces for my rear bumper, side guards build.

The plan is using 2''X3''X.125'' stock. Attaching it to the rear bumper on an angle, extending forward to the edge of the wheel opening. Then with welding on a 1.75 round stock extending back to the frame with a bolt on plate. I'll box the ends for looks and prep with POR15 and top coat rustoleum black.

First issue: My rear bumper is too short to get the reveal I'm looking for. SO, I cut some .250 stock 3"X 6". I'll weld this in on the angle cut. This will allow about a 1.5" extension for proper reveal protection.

Then I had to make a block off plate for good looks...

I began chopping angles on a piece of 2x4 lumber for fitment. I decided on a 10-degree angle with a 5-degree rake.

Then the sky opened up and the radio began blaring tornado alerts!!! Time to head indoors...

CW

I didn't do anything on the bumper today... But I did rewire the switch I did a couple days ago. Because I didn't do it the way I wanted to.. I mistakenly switched the negative battery cable. Well it disabled the battery sure enough. It also turned off the clock and lost all my presets in the radio. SO, I made up some new cables that only broke the starter positive feed. Now it still won't start with out the key and the clock and presets stay put!!

Then as I was straightening out the garage, I ran across the black front end trim pieces. So I shot them with blue paint and put them on!!

Then, I moved my Hi-lift from the bed to the drivers side bed rail. I made up some aluminum plates and mounted the hi-lift mounts to that.

CW

Awesome work. :thumbsup:

I'm really diggin that swing out tail gate. Super idea and you can swap in the original in minutes, I assume.

:cheers:

Thank you.... Actually, I recently picked up the parts so I can do just that!!

Can be swapped in maybe 15-20 Min's..... :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :D

I started on my front bumper tonight.... Didn't get too far when I realized I didn't like that push bar I put on last year..... I really want protection for the winch... guess i need to make some!!

First thing was I needed to re-mount up the lites as I really didn't want to cut them off.

The little pieces I chopped off my rear shock mounts worked perfectly as light tabs!!

This allowed the lites to be mounted up under the winch for max protection. MUCH cleaner then where they where!!

CW

I pulled out my headliner tonight and glued on a new cover!!

Overall went very well. One tip.. don't ask the wife for help after a long hard day baking and making cakes... (Her job) One kink/wrinkle. But I can and will have to live with it now...

5 Min's with a wire brush quickly and effectively removed all the old headliner backer and adhesive.

Found one crack in the back. I taped it yo front and back and hope it will hold.

Its back in, about 20 Min's start to finish!!

Here is a couple shots of my seats and nice freshly cleaned interior. :D

CW

Looks Good CW!

My long standing G/F worked one summer cleaning the interiors of cars at a Ford dealership in her hometown. How did I ever get so lucky :clapping:

J/K - Truth is that she does help me out alot and I am forever grateful for it.

Looks Good CW!

My long standing G/F worked one summer cleaning the interiors of cars at a Ford dealership in her hometown. How did I ever get so lucky :clapping:

J/K - Truth is that she does help me out alot and I am forever grateful for it.

Thanks man. It sure is a SMALL world huh?!

I got outside early this AM made my front bumper. Came out rite nice, if I do say so myself.... :clapping: :rotfl2: :shake:

I started with a stick 5ft of 2x2 and added two pieces of 2x3 on top, for the top sides. Then decided I didn't like the flat/square front. So I cut an angle on it so the 2x3 paralleled the grill lines. I left it long enough to bisect another short piece of 2x2 for each side.

Here is a couple mock up shots.

I tacked it in position and removed it to the welding bench for all welding. I then cut caps for the open ends and welded them in and ground flush.

Then I put it back on and welded it on to the Back bone winch mount.

I like the end result. now on to the rear bumper side protection...

CW

I was still on a roll from yesterday... SO. I started on the rear bumper side protection. I got the first side done.

Then I shot it with a quick coat of primer and a final coat of Rustoleum Hammered black top coat.

CW

• 2 months later...
very nice work, did I miss what you did about the rear leaf mounts? I have rot in the same place except my mount is now pretty much breaking off. How did you weld the frame?

Thank you.

Do you mean in the back where the shackles mount? Mine was fine back there, my front mounts where pretty well rusted thru though. I clad everything in steel sheet.

CW