Comanche to Cherokee parts compatability

So i'm new around here, recently got an 86' custom 4x4 2.5, and there are plenty of cherokees in the junkyard for the picking. As i understand it the Comanche is simply a truck form of a cherokee, and should cross over in parts.

I'm looking for a front bumper to replace the bent one i have now, so i can mount some driving lights to it. It needs some more work besides this, but i want to give the halogen headlights some help.

So i'm new around here, recently got an 86' custom 4x4 2.5, and there are plenty of cherokees in the junkyard for the picking. As i understand it the Comanche is simply a truck form of a cherokee, and should cross over in parts.

I'm looking for a front bumper to replace the bent one i have now, so i can mount some driving lights to it. It needs some more work besides this, but i want to give the halogen headlights some help.

Welcome to the craziness and Yes many sheet metal and trim parts from the doors forward are the same as a pre 97 4 door Cherokees. Also most/many mechanical and electrical parts (depending on the year and engine/tranny) are identical as well. As you have questions about specifics, do a search on this site and usually you can find some threads about what you're needing to know.

I believe the front bumpers from the early Cherokees (before 96) will work on your year but someone else here should verify that as I haven't swapped one out myself.

Cherokee parts from the front doors (A pillar) forward will work, but be aware that they don't ALL work. In this instance, the bumper will be fine regardless of year. But, for example, Jeep changed the design of the grille, headlight doors, and header panel in 1990. The 1990 and newer grille and headlight doors can be used on 1989 and older MJs (and XJs, for that matter) only if you also change the header panel to the new style.

97 is when the body design changed, so pre-97, not pre-96. Seats are the exception. The seats themselves are the same (as a 2 door Cherokee, so they will flip forward to stash gear behind them), but the mounting brackets are not because the floor pan is different.

As for the header panel, Eagle is correct, but except for some very minor details, the two styles look identical when all put together.

Cherokee parts from the front doors (A pillar) forward will work, but be aware that they don't ALL work. In this instance, the bumper will be fine regardless of year. But, for example, Jeep changed the design of the grille, headlight doors, and header panel in 1990. The 1990 and newer grille and headlight doors can be used on 1989 and older MJs (and XJs, for that matter) only if you also change the header panel to the new style.

No one told me that before I bought a chrome grill and bezels from a 91 for my 88. They can be adapted and no one will ever know the difference.

Just in case you didnt know, because i didnt when i bought my '86, it seems like quite a lot in the engine bay is different from the '87 and up models, like the firewall, headlight buckets, front core support, etc, because they were made for the 2.1 turbo diesel, 2.5 I4, and 2.8 v6. I don't know much about the first two so i may be wrong about some parts, but i believe since the v6 was an option that year only, that they all are the same when it comes to their differences from the years after that.

• 1 year later...

The header panel, upper radiator support and front fenders on the '86 is different from the '87 up. They will swap but requires a little more work. On the '86, the four (two on each side)bolts holding the header to the fender are screwed into the header and project into the fender with a nut applied from behind the fender holding them. Makes it necessary to remove the splash shields to access them. A real PITA. On the '87 up the bolts are attached to the fenders and jut forward, very easy to get to.The marker light mounting is slightly different but directly interchange. The hood prop is mounted on the Right inner fender on the '86-'87. Attached to the top of the header on '88 up. The hood safety catch is different, On the '86 it goes thru a hole in the header. On the '87 up there is a metal rod screwed to the header it catches on.

As for the header panel, Eagle is correct, but except for some very minor details, the two styles look identical when all put together.

we had to modify the trim parts and the header panel to make it go together on dad's 89, using the newer 90+ design

but yes once assembled it does look the same (or better in dad's case)

• 6 years later...

Hi, I just bought my first MJ. 1989 2wd 4.0 but hey it’s all I could find that wasn’t rusted out. I just pulled the front header panel and wanted to buy a new one but can’t find that year in the chrome trim. I read all the post and see that there are options to do a newer year clip. Can any tell me exactly what year panel can get to fit my truck perfectly without cutting? Thanks so much! Also I had some bad rust under my battery in the engine bay. Does anyone have any idea how to purchase new engine bay panels?

For a perfect fit, you need a header from an '84 thru '89 Cherokee or an '86 thru '89 Comanche.

You can also use the header from a '90 thru '96, but in 1990 Chrysler changed the trim around the grille and headlight bezels. Using the '90 thru '96 parts won't require any cutting, but it will mean that you'll need the corresponding '90 thru '96 grille and headlight bezels.

• 7 months later...

I have been doing some research on finding a header panel to fit my 89 Comanche.  But the only one I can find is on crown automotive part#83506616.  But all the reviews are horrible.  Does anyone have any tips for a successful search?