4L fuel economy while wheeling

DirtyComanche

about 11-12 on hard days. 12 to 13 on medium days and 13 to 15 if I'm going up for a dirt road cruise. that's filling up, driving the 5,000 vertical feet up the mountain. wheeling all day,  and driving down and topping off. to many variables to accurately track it so i just kept an eye on the guage and topped off with my jerry can before heading down if needed.

That would be extremely hard to measure with any meaningful results for anyone else just due to the fact that no offroad experience or terrain will be the same, and the amount of "work" a vehicle has to do will vary drastically from location to location. 

A good ballpark is like stated above, low teens. 

23 minutes ago, DesertRat1991 said:

Tough to calculate.  For one thing, pretty much anyone into hardcore wheeling probably has larger tires so their odometer is way off. 

You can correct that.  Most guys do.

I have a GPS Speedo/ODO for my plowtruck (before it was a plowtruck) also.  Or guys use their phone to log it.

I know the number fluctuates a lot based on what exactly people are doing, but I'm curious if consumption numbers are different from mine.

yeah, my wheeling trips seemed to include a whole lot of idling, followed by bursts of high rpm, followed by more idling.  Blowing through a half tank of gas in a day is not unheard of but I have no idea how much mileage that is (no speedometer).  

I have spent many years travelling the trails in Colorado with friends who have a variety of Jeeps. The Jeeps with automatics always get the worse fuel economy (10-12mpg) while the 5-speeds always yield decent economy (14-16mpg). I believe this is due to the fact you can climb a slow rough pass in the 5-speed Jeep almost at idle, while automatics must be tached up to keep moving.

6 hours ago, 87Warrior said:

I have spent many years travelling the trails in Colorado with friends who have a variety of Jeeps. The Jeeps with automatics always get the worse fuel economy (10-12mpg) while the 5-speeds always yield decent economy (14-16mpg). I believe this is due to the fact you can climb a slow rough pass in the 5-speed Jeep almost at idle, while automatics must be tached up to keep moving.

Yeah, with the automatic the converter will be unlocked basically the entire time you're wheeling, so there will be lots of slip and higher revs the entire time...  Thus worse fuel economy.

• 3 weeks later...
Consumption per hour would be a better way to calculate, I'd think. 

The 25th I'm going off roading with a jeep club. My new rem 2 can calculate GPH, i plan on posting my results after the trip. But I'm expecting 3-5 gallons per hour from my experimenting around the yard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk