Jeep MJ becoming rare?

eacomanche88

I was wondering about how many could be left? Just this weekend I had gone to a salvage yard and saw 5 there, and that is just 1 junkyard. I know Jeep made a little over 190,000 units, I see on here and elsewhere MJ's are being stripped of parts and scrapped due to damage and rust.

I'm sure over the course of 20+ years thousands have gone to the crusher from accidents,and such.

I just could not help but to wonder the number of them still around.

Thanks for letting me ramble!!

Don't know if there is any real way to figure it, but I would venture a guess that less than 30% of them are still on the road.

I wish I could find some in a JY like that. I have looked many times and have only ever found two in salvage in the last year or slightly over.

I wouldn't call them rare yet, as some people would like you to believe. They'll get there soon enough though.

they're not all THAT rare...nice ones are, but finding a junker parts one is easy. I've owned something like 12 or 14 comanches, 8 of which survived to be more than parts or scrap. (some were just too bad to mess with)

Unfortunately scrap steel prices have gone through the roof, which is causing ppl to crush vehicles wide open. That being said the renix era/late 80's jeep's were known for a few problems, and most backyard mechanics screwed them up worse by trying to fix them, so they became junk... now with ppl scavenging country roads to "pick up unwanted cars" they are getting crushed at an alarming rate

Counting my 2, I've seen exactly 5 MJ's (One in a JY) in my Area TOTAL (San Jose, Santa Cruz, etc) in the past 2 to 3 years (since I started looking for them)... I'm not sure how "Rare" that makes em... and I sure don't think that means the value is quadrupled (Like the guy in LA that thinks his is worth 10K+ with stock Axles, Gears, etc).

Like everything else, it's only worth what you can get someone to pay for it. I think some areas, like Wisconsin must have had more than their share of units head that way when they were new, so I think if your Pat and have had owned dozens of them, or your like me our West and only personally seen a couple, it just depends on where you are at and how hard you are looking for em.

I wouldn't call them rare yet, as some people would like you to believe. They'll get there soon enough though.

they're not all THAT rare...nice ones are, but finding a junker parts one is easy. I've owned something like 12 or 14 comanches, 8 of which survived to be more than parts or scrap. (some were just too bad to mess with)

You don't count. You go to the bathroom in the morning and shoot these things out. Which is about what you pay for them too. :nuts:

I always thought they were rare, saw one/two of them a year. Until I bought one. And met Pat. Now they're fecking everywhere.

Since I purchased my current MJ, I’ve been to about 8 different JY's in 3 states. I’ve run across a total of two-both '86 MJ's that were COMPLETLY stripped-out in New Hampshire.

The guy at my local JY here in Massachusetts can't remember the last time he saw one on his lot.

Also, in the past 8 months or so, among my friends & family, we have seen a total of 3 MJ's on the roads in New England.

I'm inclined to call that rare. However, value is a different question and rarity is only one component of value.

It would be interesting to know how many MJ’s are still on the road. The only way to get that number is if someone had access to the registry database in each state, which is not likely. I would guess that less than 30% are still registered.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about "rare" but here is a rough count in and around east Atlanta,

1 red one in a JY,

2 my white one,

3 another white one in Conyers,

4 black and

5 blue ones in Covington,

6 green one in Tucker,

7 another red one downtown,

8 another black one passed my house.

And sure I probably have missed a few here and there.

The rarest of all are the 91 and 92 HO MJs. Production was winding down then, in 1991 5,188 produced, and only 952 in 1992. The highest production years were 1987 (43,070) and 1988 (43,718).

Is that right, really? Only 952 in 1992? Cool.

Are there any figures that break it down even further. Like shortbed/longbed, auto/manual, 2WD/4WD, 4 cyl/6 cyl.

Here's a snapshot of where some are. http://www.frappr.com/comanche/map.

Add yourself if you haven't already done so.

Maybe this should be in a sticky somewhere on the forum (or is it already)...pretty cool...

I agree.

Pete, Eagle? Wadda think?

Fine. Start a fresh post inviting everyone to plop their location on the map and I'll sticky it. :roll: