Mistress Moneypit

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

truck looks great. tulip festiva? :rotfl2: you so crazy! So what kind of wine did you drink with your summer sausage and brie cheese while you tiptoed through the tulips? :eek:

My wife is a photographer, we went so whe could take pictures.

Is that the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival?

Willy

Nope, It's Woodland's own Tulip Festival.

on a side note, goblazers are you aware that a TNT Y-link is NOT a long arm?

They definitely aren't short, so what are they? :dunno:

Willy

they are a y-link suspension. a long arm suspension consists of 3 (three link long arm) or 4 (four link long arm) arms, mounted to 4 seperate frame locations.

Ok, back on topic.

Ben (mulipurpose) and I started my rear bumper build yesterday.

What I started with.

I wanted to ditch my quarters since one side had some damage anyway. So the plan was to incorporate the quarters just like reson46 did.

Cut.

This picture is a little blurry, but what I did was cut and fold the quarters to give the bed back some of the ridgity it may have lost with the cutting.

This is the bad side, you can see where I made the inital cut. from there I cut a few slit in it and fold up.

Done

Here is one of the end caps on the 2x4x3/16 tube, this is the main portion of rear bumper.

The bracket we are working on.

Thats all the progress we made yesterday. We'll finish it up this week.

I extended the bumper bracket forward a bit more to make use of the available frame hole. I cut a corresponding hole to go through the frame, but now I have a 3/4" bolt holding the bumper (and my rollbar fwiw) to theframe. Try yanking that outta my truck. :D

rollbar and bolt not yet installed when this pic was snapped.

Oh, and I also added a splash guard to the bottom to cut down on the amount of mud being thrown up into the bedsides.

we are adding a piece of flat stock to the nutsert above the shackle mount. Then we will cut a piece of the 2x4 at a 45 and ad it as a gusset on the ouside of the main frame mount. We are also atting a support from the quarter guard to the frame mount.

Very nice. :thumbsup:

You may want to consider adding a piece to the inside of this bracket to catch the bolt on the bottom of the frame rail. Should help with any side loads from a tug from behind.

Willy

Do u drive it on the road with out a sway bar? If u do how does it ride?

I've driven my xj/mj (similar suspension) on the road with out a sway bar, drove it from California to Idaho like that in fact. But i agree i wouldnt recommend it. Just wanted to let you know it is doable.

sorry if i missed it, but what year waggy D44 did you end up using? and Can we get a better shot of your spring perchs in the front/rear. I know you used the U-bolt elim. thing, but it looks like there gaps between the bolts and spring.

Sorry just read 11 pages of this post....may have forgot something lol

Willy

Looks great!! Good work!!

One thing I would do, is to cut/drill access hole for the rear most bed bolt. You may have no plans not to remove the bed. But its easy to make that hole now. Could be a pain if you need to do it with everything mounted to the truck.

CW

Willy

One thing I would do, is to cut/drill access hole for the rear most bed bolt. You may have no plans not to remove the bed. But its easy to make that hole now. Could be a pain if you need to do it with everything mounted to the truck.

CW

Is that what that hole is for immediately behind that bolt on the bottom of the frame rail?

Willy

A few shots of my bumper Painted. Hanging from my garage door rails, by motorcycle straps.

Sorry, its hard to see anything since the bumper is painted Satin Black. I should have taken pictures when it was Primer Grey.

The nutsert inside the shackle mount was incorporated. The smaller piece of angle is mostly for holding mud flaps (once Johnny Law tell me I have to run them) but will also act as a brace. I mounted the bumper tonight, but it was dark out, so I'll post pics of that tomorrow. As far as how satisfied with how it turned out, I'd say about 7 out of 10. But this is the first bumper I've ever built, and The grand total on materials was about $100. I modeled it after reson46's, but I'm sure his was built better, with better tools and better talent. reson46, I hope you never see my bumper in person. Well I'm done trashing my handiwork now. Here it is, mounted pics tomorrow.

Me Painting

*shrug*

idk why you're cutting down on your skills. from what I can see, it looks good.

the ONLY thing I'd do different (again, from what I can tell in the pics), is extend the side mounts a bit (like 2") and add two bolts through the frame with crush sleeves.

I probably woulda also used clevis mounts instead of weld-on d rings. that's a personal choice...d ring mounts work good too :D

As far as how satisfied with how it turned out, I'd say about 7 out of 10. But this is the first bumper I've ever built, and The grand total on materials was about $100. I modeled it after reson46's, but I'm sure his was built better, with better tools and better talent. reson46, I hope you never see my bumper in person. Well I'm done trashing my handiwork now.

That's nothing to feel bad about. The way I see it, doing it yourself is a lot better than paying a shop to do it. You should see the first bumper I built. It was functional, but wasn't necessarily pretty. I still look at the MJ's bumper and see things I would do differently. :thumbsup:

Now, get off your @$$ and post some pictures of it mounted. :yes:

Willy

OK Willy, calm down!

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, for your viewing pleasure..........

My bolted up bumper!!

The drivers side is a little crooked, but I can live with it. If you notice the 4x4 emblem is gone. It fell off when I was doing some body work "dirtycomanche style", with a hammer. Its just got 6 factory bolts holding it up right now, I will be adding crush sleeves through the frame here shortly. (Don't worry, I won't be using it to remove stumps until its properly bolted up. I am pretty happy with how it looks on the truck.

There you have it. Now, let the compliments ensue.

Willy

CW

Is that what that hole is for immediately behind that bolt on the bottom of the frame rail?

Willy

Sorry, I missed this. YES, its the larger hole that allows access to the bolt up at the top of the frame rail right in the very back. You can just see a portion of the hole in you pic here. You really did a great job on this!!!

CW

Sorry, I missed this. YES, its the larger hole that allows access to the bolt up at the top of the frame rail right in the very back. You can just see a portion of the hole in you pic here. You really did a great job on this!!!

CW

That sucks! :doh: I pretty much covered that hole and have no desire to ever remove that bumper. Hopefully I'll never need to remove the bed.

Willy