guess which pile is the good wiper 'puters...

There was someone working in the circuit boards of these things iirc. It would be a really great service for someone to start. There is a similar GM part but no direct swap replacement I’ve ever heard of anyone finding. There is a guy in eBay refurbishing old overhead consoles. He repaired the one going into my MJ. Wonder if he could repair these modules. 

11 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

There was someone working in the circuit boards of these things iirc. It would be a really great service for someone to start. There is a similar GM part but no direct swap replacement I’ve ever heard of anyone finding. There is a guy in eBay refurbishing old overhead consoles. He repaired the one going into my MJ. Wonder if he could repair these modules. 

the86manche

1 hour ago, The86manche said:

Hello, I am here! That was me doing refurbs on them! I do have a few that I did go through. 

Been looking for a test subject to confirm functions on them.

Let us know, it's a service that almost everyone is going to need at some point. 

On 4/8/2024 at 12:19 PM, ghetdjc320 said:

Let us know, it's a service that almost everyone is going to need at some point. 

After this post came up I put my nose back to the grindstone and started fixing the other ones I had. One of them was either in a fire or soaking in water for years as the board literally disintegrated when attempting to remove it from the case.

After I get the rest finished up I'm going to see who's local and willing to help me test them.

On a side note @Pete M what are you doing with those faulty modules? Lol

24 minutes ago, The86manche said:

After this post came up I put my nose back to the grindstone and started fixing the other ones I had. One of them was either in a fire or soaking in water for years as the board literally disintegrated when attempting to remove it from the case.

After I get the rest finished up I'm going to see who's local and willing to help me test them.

There is a big market there for sure. XJ’s, MJ’s and YJ’s and I’m guessing at least some ZJ’s

14 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

:laugh: Reading those labels is just sad lol. 

But they can be fixed! They used the capacitors in line with circuits on the board, if one goes bad then it can cause things to malfunction or not function at all. It's how I fixed my old yj ecu. The capacitors went bad and it wouldn't even show the 'check engine light' anymore

It was my understanding that this is more or less a GM part. You may find a wider market if this is the case.

Do we know of a typical failure mode for these?  So they suffer from Corrosion? Broken solder joints?

1 hour ago, A-man930 said:

It was my understanding that this is more or less a GM part. You may find a wider market if this is the case.

Do we know of a typical failure mode for these?  So they suffer from Corrosion? Broken solder joints?

It's possible but I've not looked into who else used them or originated design.

Corrosion and solder breaks don't seem to be an issue for these believe it or not. 90% of the ones I've opened up had good solder and were dry. Or very light corrosion at the connectors but not the board. The board uses a lot of capacitors and resistors. And I know capacitors can dry out or expand from constant voltage. 

On 4/10/2024 at 12:14 PM, The86manche said:

dunno yet.  I needed a good one for Breanne's truck and figured I might as well test them all while I was at it. 

I believe they are very similar to a GM part but not the same. Last time I checked into these, there was no other directly swappable part. Iirc the GM part that is similar does not have the washer selector wiring run through it as the jeep unit does.

14 hours ago, scguy said:

This guy repaired his with new capacitors. 

I'm not that guy but I am doing the same thing. I would like to make a little market for it.

I've got a few more to finish up and I'll be testing all at once. Just need a few more capacitors

47 minutes ago, The86manche said:

I'm not that guy but I am doing the same thing. I would like to make a little market for it.

I've got a few more to finish up and I'll be testing all at once. Just need a few more capacitors

Digikey and mouser are excellent sources for caps. I bet most of the ones used could have been found at radioshack but alas. Microcenter carries capacitors now which is awesome if you are near one.

4 hours ago, Salvagedcircuit said:

Digikey and mouser are excellent sources for caps. I bet most of the ones used could have been found at radioshack but alas. Microcenter carries capacitors now which is awesome if you are near one.

There's actually a little electronics store an old gent runs a few towns over who carries EVERY different kind of resistor and capacitor I could ask for and more. I was just there today to get a few that I needed. I like supporting the small businesses when I can.

5 hours ago, The86manche said:

Would it be possible or practical to add some conformal coating to the circuit boards to help with vibration and any moisture/corrosion? 

39 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Would it be possible or practical to add some conformal coating to the circuit boards to help with vibration and any moisture/corrosion? 

If it is possible I don't have access to anything right now. If any of them have the factory coating on them I try to leave them alone. But otherwise I don't think moisture or vibrations are really an issue with them. They are pretty solid in place in the case and moisture damage has not really been an issue with them from the ones I've split apart.