The Alabama Turbo Diesel

I know a lot of folks have been curious about this Jeep and I don't blame ya'll. I'm not on here as often as I'd like to be but I try my best.

Anyhow, here's the story:

She's an 86 XLS Metric Ton Turbo Diesel. I found this truck listed for sale on Facebook around late January or early February, I can't remember exactly. It was in Massachusetts  Main issue was that it wouldn't run. The price was pretty steep on it so I passed. Fast forward to March 10th, it's posted once again in the "All Things Jeep Comanche" buy and sell group on Facebook. This time in Connecticut. The guy wanted to trade for a running MJ. I sent him a message right away. After a while, we settled on me trading a running 89 LWB MJ for the diesel.

On March 16th around 2pm, my dad and I set out for CT. It was around a 4 day trip in total. Only major setbacks were getting a flat tire on the trailer in NJ and loading the diesel with a flat tire. It was around 8PM on the 17th when we finally reached CT and had the diesel on the trailer. 

It wasn't until the 19th when we finally got back home and unloaded it. 

I have had it running for a brief few seconds at one point, but it doesn't wanna fire anymore.

So far, I've done the following:

Oil change

Reassembled everything the previous owner had taken apart

Siphoned all the old fuel out of the tank

Cleaned out the hard fuel lines

Replaced two rubber fuel lines

Replaced the water separator

Cleaned out the air box

Checked fluids

Attempted to bleed the fuel system to no avail

What needs doing:

Possibly rebuild the fuel pump

Compression test

Replace one of the rear brake lines

Change transmission and axle oil

Grease ball joints

New tires

What I want to do in the future:

Repaint

Find original wheels

My end goal for this Jeep is to keep it as original as possible and preserve it.

Snapchat-198170199.jpg.e5de1d83d990888a7b7804d495818a9d.jpg20230319_125731.jpg.d8a1fe5bfc3fd9ba0fb157c1807f360b.jpg20230318_085258.jpg.ec729f82bd6a3761bde158cc3957b294.jpg

36 minutes ago, The86manche said:

I like your goal and I wish you good luck. I can't wait to see how this goes:L:

Is the fuel pump not pumping at all? If you crack the fittings at the injectors does it not pump fuel up to them?

It doesn't seem to be.

I cracked the fittings, spun the engine with the pedal pressed, and nothing. :dunno:

I would suggest joining a Renault FB group, as well as a Lesharo FB group. There's tons of good information on both regarding this engine. I was seriously considering purchasing it before you, but once I found out that the engine is not original (and is from a Lesharo) it lost it's attraction to me.

39 minutes ago, ThreeComanches said:

@acfortier Where'd ya hear that it has a Lesharo engine? 

I never knew that. I was told it had a new head and piston linings.

One of the pictures of the engine that was sent to me.

image.jpeg.d7eaea5788f0a041b18103b4eea9ad7c.jpeg

The "J8S 234" gives it away. Here's the post from the FB group:

image.png.5d67e7781a7de471b29ebe6660543d4c.png

I don't know if autozone or any part stores carry parts for the 2.1L's. I do know Rockauto has stuff. I don't know if that is any help to you but i hope you get it running good. My goal is to get mine fully restored. I'm teetering on having it repainted. Rockauto sells refurbished rims too. I noticed you mentioned you were looking for a set. Also if your looking to get tires as well Coker tire has some whitewalls that are I think $102 a tire? Very good price compared to other tires these days

6 hours ago, ThreeComanches said:

@acfortier I see. Thanks for the info!

Could it be possible that just the head was swapped. Would that cause issue if the engine is still the Jeep engine?

Better question, are the two even compatible?

It’s definitely possible if they swapped the whole top end. I don’t know what the actual differences are, but what’s mentioned in my screenshot about the turbos and injection pump is worth looking into.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, ThreeComanches said:

After a 2,500 mile road trip to NH and back...

I've got my hands on a BRAND NEW 2.1L Renault J8S-890 engine!

IMG_1047.jpg.89aacf860f2fb04c46254f560913bbfd.jpgIMG_1046.jpg.2c8231025ef9ade72f1d04cd4856ab0b.jpg

Hot dang! That's a score. New Hampshire shines again.

Going to northern NH is truly a time capsule. Just 2-3 years ago you could still get parallel port printer cables at computer stores near Franconia.

The Staples up in Littleton carried a year 2003 ATI radeon 9200se graphics card until about 2017.

9 hours ago, Drahcir495 said:

I am so interested in this! Are we sure it's not an original turbo diesel MJ?? It looks like everything points to it is original. It still awesome either way :popcorn:

99% sure it’s an original TD 

The questions we’re on the specific engine in it being the original one that came in it (most likely not) (my belief comes from when I looked it at, seemed all original TD to me) 

• 5 months later...

So how about an update?

I have a Cherokee with the same engine and am gathering info. I'm assembling what I can. Factory info on inj pump, engine, transmission and chassis so far.

I can't seem to locate a recognizable wiring diagram though. My tach is dead and I'd like to remedy that.