Value for my 91

I’m in need of help! I was involved in a accident. He’s insurance company wants to settle.for me and my investment in the truck, it’s a very low offer. The truck is a91 Jeep Comanche 4x4, 4.0 engine, only has 63,000 miles on it. Original paint. (Black) very clean interior. Added 4in lift. Shocks etc. new rims and tires. Recharged air conditioner. also I’ve been through this truck from front to back bumper. No problem until accident! Please give me your opinion just on the value that you think the truck is worth! If you’ve bought or sold one I would appreciate your opinion 

What we think doesn't matter. What matters is the "book" value for a '91 Comanche.

I went through this a couple of years ago with my 2000 XJ, which at the time only had about 30,000 miles on it and looked like it had just driven off the showroom floor. 9Except for the crumpled fender and busted header.) Insurance company said it was worth $4,500 -- which was less than the repair estimate. I showed them listings from dealers for 2000 XJs with more miles that were being advertised for $10,000 and up, and they said that didn't matter. All that matters is the book value.

In the end, the appraiser increased the value of the vehicle slightly and the shop sharpened their pencil and dropped the cost of repair slightly, so I was able to get it repaired without going through the salvage title process. But it was a close shave. Any other work would have put it into the "totaled" category.

To put things in modern perspective, my 90 4.0L 4x4 5 speed with 251,000 miles on it back in May 2022 cost me $9800.  It was freshly painted by an amateur, needed a hole in the driver's footwell welded up and some deferred maintenance addressed.  It was otherwise completely rust free. 

Good luck.  

Have pictures? I bought my 2WD Pioneer for 3k on the penny in 2020. That's faded paint as is. And a leaking gas line at that time. Then the other problems revealed themselves as I drove it. So if yours is in good condition minus the accident it's definitely a keeper. The 90 models are fairly hard to find vs say the 88 year. That's where they produced the most. I mean yours sounds pretty much restored and new. Maybe 5-7k? I genuinely have no idea. Assuming it has no rust definitely adds to the price. But pics do help tremendously so we know what we're looking at

It's generally book value unless you have it appraised. 

If your insurance agrees with the appraisal, they'll pay up to an agreed amount if it's totaled. 

You pay the premium on the appraised/approved value, not the book value, so your premium will be more.   

Keep your receipts.  

No fender bender is pretty. And that is a very clean looking, nice truck! The rear collision area isn't actually as bad as I thought. Lucky man your tail light didn't bust. Me personally. I look at rarity and of course milage and condition. Your looks amazing! The fender bender is bad yes but looks to be still operational. Have you looked into body shops? I'm sure they could fix you right up!

That's a very pretty truck, I wish I had those eliminator graphics instead of the simpler ones on mine.  As far as I am concerned, that was a $15k truck before the fender bender, maybe worth a bit less as it's an automatic. I spent the last 3 years looking for Comanches before I purchased mine, any 4.0L 4x4 truck that is clean and has less than 100k miles is worth over $10k.  Also I found that there are a lot more clean automatic trucks than clean manual ones.

Yeah they can fetch quite a bit. Speaking of I have no idea what mine would even be worth. I've basically redone the whole cooling components and tuned it up a bit while leaving it as original as possible. It's rust free and mechanically sound for a truck with 178k miles. Paid 3. Been babied since. No idea what these trucks actually go for now I think on it. 

3 hours ago, pizzaman09 said:

That's a very pretty truck, I wish I had those eliminator graphics instead of the simpler ones on mine.  As far as I am concerned, that was a $15k truck before the fender bender, maybe worth a bit less as it's an automatic. I spent the last 3 years looking for Comanches before I purchased mine, any 4.0L 4x4 truck that is clean and has less than 100k miles is worth over $10k.  Also I found that there are a lot more clean automatic trucks than clean manual ones.

:yeahthat:

This is a frequent subject… but it’s worth whatever you can sell it for. That being said, before the accident, there probably would have been several buyers in the 15k range. 

I checked kbb, scoured the web and Facebook marketplace. I can't even pinpoint a good price since I see running ones or barely running ones start at $500 and jump to almost 16k. I saw some similar ones to mine in terms of condition. Faded paint, like new interior and runs like a top, those I saw all over the place price wise. I guess it's "highest bid takes all" sort of thing with these trucks. I would say ask a dealer there opinion. Made that mistake. He looked me right in the eyes and didn't skip a beat and said "$1200". May as well slap me in face and grin with that insult of a price. My conclusion since I sat here on the web for about 2 hours I think it's worth what you think it is. These jeeps are very nice, reliable, rare, fun to drive and very town friendly. Me? I don't have a price on my truck personally. Especially now with the super recent passing of my great grandfather. Personally. Me. Seeing your truck as nice as it is even with the huge dent. I'd be a happy buyer with $13,500/$14,000

Pete dosen't have a black bed??? Dealers and insurance even many buyers will low ball you. The price escalates with low miles and clean no rust. Also another idea is to take the $$$ from the insurance and buy it back at say $1,000. Then see if you can find a shop to repair it for a lot less. I think the damage could be punched out temporarily and driven. Or even driven as is.  I'd say $8K minimum and up, say $15K . I thought KBB doesn't even offer any evaluation on these. 

Thanks for your replies,I’m having trouble with the guys insurance that hit me, thanks to Pete I have a replacement bed, and I’ve already made repairs to rear end and drive shaft. And it’s drivable. Trying to work it out with his insurance company to pay me back for the bed and prep for paint and painting and repairs to the truck. And not total my truck. But they will not even call me back $6200 and total it. So I talk to an attorney who told me to talk to people that actually knows the value of these trucks and get their opinions on the value of my truck before the accident. I’ve invested around &9500 to $10.500 in the truck before and now I’ve invested another $2500. I’m just trying to get opinions so I can argue my point on the value my opinion it’s worth at least $10.000 to $14 000 y’all’s help is appreciated thanks 

NADA is the pricing standard insurance companies usually go by.  NADA gets its pricing from dealership sales.  I would go on to the variety of sales outlets online like ebay auto sales and other online sales outlets and get histories of sales that are comparable to your vehicle and download that data.  Keep arguing for a fair valuation.  These guys like to win.  It's as much a game and competition as it is a job.  Have your value added receipts as well.  They will make the argument that most of it is just maintenance so be ready to counter that.  Sociopathic Neighbor is more like it imo. 

17 hours ago, Mike Rhyne said:

Thanks for your replies,I’m having trouble with the guys insurance that hit me, thanks to Pete I have a replacement bed, and I’ve already made repairs to rear end and drive shaft. And it’s drivable. Trying to work it out with his insurance company to pay me back for the bed and prep for paint and painting and repairs to the truck. And not total my truck. But they will not even call me back $6200 and total it. So I talk to an attorney who told me to talk to people that actually knows the value of these trucks and get their opinions on the value of my truck before the accident. I’ve invested around &9500 to $10.500 in the truck before and now I’ve invested another $2500. I’m just trying to get opinions so I can argue my point on the value my opinion it’s worth at least $10.000 to $14 000 y’all’s help is appreciated thanks 

The attorney probably meant for you to talk to a classic car appraiser or similar professional. I'm afraid internet opinions aren't going to move the needle much with an insurance company.

Do you have the receipts to backup your total investment?  That might help.

You might also use this tool to search the market for trucks in comparable condition:

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...