New Ford Maverick PU

Manche757

I think they're solid grocery getters and provide a pickup bed for whenever you need a little extra space to transport something. But I wouldn't plan on towing anything, hauling anything heavy, etc.

A Comanche seems more practical if you can get over the lack of modern technology :D

1500 lb payload, but only a 54" bed. One of my old teachers from HS that I'm still in touch with has one and likes it well enough. I don't think I'd be able to live with that tiny bed though.

I think the MJ is a much more suitable vehicle for any sort of "real trucking" usage. The Maverick is a car that just happens to have a bed and not half bad payload capacity. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not for me.

11 minutes ago, Minuit said:

1500 lb payload, but only a 54" bed. One of my old teachers from HS that I'm still in touch with has one and likes it well enough. I don't think I'd be able to live with that tiny bed though.

I think the MJ is a much more suitable vehicle for any sort of "real trucking" usage. The Maverick is a car that just happens to have a bed and not half bad payload capacity. Nothing wrong with that, it's just not for me.

Wow, I'm surprised its that high. I think that payload rating is higher than my Gladiator that I had.

I currently live in Virginia Beach, VA right on the Atlantic ocean.  We might get a big 6 inch or so snow every 10 years.  I am going to spend 6 winter months minutes from Glacier National Park in northern Montana.  Research shows average annual snow fall is 80 inches.  In January and February it snows, sleets or rains 18 and 17 days on average.  I need a dependable winter capable vehicle.  The USPS does not deliver to much of Montana because of remoteness.  Rumor has it that the salt that they put on the roads will not benefit MJs, so I will likely store (or sell) my two.  I don't want to buy a new vehicle because of the salt and also because I may sell it and move to a different part of the world.  Contemplating F150, Silverado, Jeep (Wrangler, Rubicon) or SUV. I thought the new Ford Maverick might work if 4x4, and high enough off the ground.

3 hours ago, acfortier said:

Wow, I'm surprised its that high. I think that payload rating is higher than my Gladiator that I had.

It's a light FWD truck which gives them more room for payload in the GVWR. The Gladiator is just heavy, and was always a compromise being built from a Wrangler.

I can’t imagine there isn’t an AWD version. 
That said, there are plenty of people running around up here in the mountains in FWD hatchbacks. My 2wd open diff MJ gets around in the winter just fine too. The secret is winter tires. Dedicated winter tires.

All-weather tires (a step above all-seasons) function in slush and deeper snow, but what you’re going to find is there are parts of the road that don’t get enough sun to melt them off, the salt doesn’t always work because it gets kicked off by traffic, and traffic just packs and polishes that snow into skating rink grade ice. And no tire that will survive on sunbaked dessert highways is going to have a soft enough compound to get any sort of bite on that. AWD or 4x4 will help some, but not anywhere near what a proper winter tire will do for you. 
AWD/4x4 is optional. Ground clearance is optional. Studs are optional. Winter tires are not. 
If a low-slung hatchback on winter tires with a halfway competent driver behind the wheel can’t make it through a road due to the conditions, it’s probably going to get closed anyway until they can get maintenance equipment on it.

10 responses and not one pic?

Looks like a lite F150 - before it started bulking up on steroids. Maybe a F125...:wink:

Gotta love that sales slogan - "Make it with a Maverick". :confused:

Seems 2022 models are all sold out, and there is one major recall affecting 100k vehicles... not sure how that works as they appear to have sold about 30k to date this year,

2022 Ford Maverick Truck Engine Manufacturing Recall

Ford Maverick PU.jpg

legit snow tires are like having a super power. :D  I had my minivan in 6" of fresh snow and it handled it great. :banana:  I'll take snow tires + FWD over 4wd for snowy roads any day.  and you can run them year round.  they make fantastic rain tires too.  cheap enough to just get another fresh set the next winter if you drive a lot. 

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

legit snow tires are like having a super power. :D  I had my minivan in 6" of fresh snow and it handled it great. :banana:  I'll take snow tires + FWD over 4wd for snowy roads any day.  and you can run them year round.  they make fantastic rain tires too.  cheap enough to just get another fresh set the next winter if you drive a lot. 

Just don’t go driving through hot highways out west with them. They do not like sunbaked asphalt much. We went on a big road trip one year, hit Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, bunch of stuff in Idaho and the PNW, it was 100°F+ most of the time. My parents decided to proactively buy new tires before we left, and of course they got winters, because it was late august/early September and why would you not. We needed new tires when we got home, maybe 3000 miles later. It almost looked like someone had been doing burnouts for how bald the tires were and how much rubber stuck to the side of the car. 

I absolutely wouldn’t argue against 4x4/AWD and winter tires though, if it’s an option for you. If you think FWD and winters gives you super powers, put some high-end winters on your 4x4 and you’ll be thinking blasphemous thoughts about your ranking amongst the gods. 

But we’re getting off topic. 
I’ve seen a couple Mavericks out here, also the odd Santa Cruz. I haven’t spoken to the owners, but I suspect that much like the Ridgeline, they’re not so much pulling people out of the truck segment into smaller vehicles as they are giving the SUV/crossover crowd a taste of open cargo storage. Which is fine I guess. I’m still of a mind that a second row of seats and less than 6’ of bed space and you’re better off with a minivan (on winters 😬) and utility trailer… my brain can’t quite twist itself enough to justify a 4’ bed. Even the 6’ bed on the MJ seemed small, and that was before I was comparing it against the 3/4 ton Reg cab longbed 6.0/5-speed 4x4 GMC I just picked up for $3k. 

Yup. It’s mostly open. But as a scenic parkway it’s not a maintenance priority over highway 16 or 1, so if you ever do plan on driving it pay attention to conditions and closures. It also gets shut down pretty frequently for avalanche control. Closures of 3-4 days aren’t unusual, and over a week aren’t unheard of. In spring sometimes it’ll be open in the morning and closed in the afternoon as snow softens and the avy risk goes up. 

A3F1C033-08C3-475A-AEDA-BC279718161E.jpeg

EF1121E7-0996-443C-BF20-60FAD55B5FAD.jpeg

With the Maverick, you have to compare it to say, a Honda CR-V. Seating for 4 or a tight 5, but with a bed. The hybrid being standard and getting 40 MPG highway at $20k base makes it very appealing to many, many people. I hear that Escape and Bronco Sport parts can be swapped to make the interior a little nicer as well. 

On 9/8/2022 at 8:38 AM, acfortier said:

Optioned out I think the Gladiator was 1700, but very formidable for a light pickup for sure. I still can't believe the MJ had a 1 ton option. 

10 hours ago, PFCLeist said:

Optioned out I think the Gladiator was 1700, but very formidable for a light pickup for sure. I still can't believe the MJ had a 1 ton option. 

It got lower with the more options. I'm pretty sure Rubicon and similar trims were around 1200. The highest I think was available on a Sport S model with manual transmission. My Willys was around 1200 IIRC

1 hour ago, acfortier said:

It got lower with the more options. I'm pretty sure Rubicon and similar trims were around 1200. The highest I think was available on a Sport S model with manual transmission. My Willys was around 1200 IIRC

Your right, the max tow sport S had the 1700 payload and 7650 tow, but my Rubicon is 7422 tow and 1222 payload. All the armor weighs it down alot I'd imagine. 

It's a crossover pickup. I personally consider the Maverick and its competitors (Santa Cruz, Honda Ridgeline) to be more similar to the Australian Utes in a way than a dedicated truck. Like people have already stated, its for the buyer who likes their crossover but needs a bit more utility. I doubt the majority of the target demographic will be towing anything at all and the bed will never really see anything close to the maximum payload. If I were in that segment I'd certainly take one over a Ridgeline.

40 MPG out of something like that is quite impressive!