Comanche prices?

Been looking to get a later model MJ with a I6, auto, buckets, hopefully in good overall condition. 

Probably 90% of what I have found on ebay/Auto Trader, and Facebook Market Place seem to be beaters, from $3k to $15k.

The other 10% seem to be a lot closer to what I am looking for, mostly sold by dealers, from $15k to $25k.

This seems... crazy. 

Is this reality now?  Or are these few dealers just throwing these crazy prices out there and hoping someone will bite?  

Seems like trying to find a 90-91 in good condition with the I6 and auto has become a unicorn hunt... 

TIA.

15 minutes ago, pago cruiser said:

Is this reality now?  Or are these few dealers just throwing these crazy prices out there and hoping someone will bite?  

little of both? :dunno:  less than 19,000 left on the roads (out of 190,000 made) and the really good stock ones are starting to demand higher prices.  gotta be persistent in your searches and quick on the trigger to get a good one for a good price.  :L: 

and if we take the ~10% left number and apply it to the 91-92s, there are very, very few left.  like, less than 1000.  :( 

17 minutes ago, Pete M said:

little of both? :dunno:  less than 19,000 left on the roads (out of 190,000 made) and the really good stock ones are starting to demand higher prices.  gotta be persistent in your searches and quick on the trigger to get a good one for a good price.  :L: 

and if we take the ~10% left number and apply it to the 91-92s, there are very, very few left.  like, less than 1000.  :( 

a 1992 just listed near me yesterday, 1500.00. needs rockers and cab corners. short bed

1 hour ago, motownXJdad said:

a 1992 just listed near me yesterday, 1500.00. needs rockers and cab corners. short bed

motownXJDad - took a wild guess, but Detroit and immediate surrounding do not seem to have any MJs listed on CL. If you can, would appreciate the location or link.

Unless it violates a rule, I would be glad to pay a finders fee if a tip leads to a purchase. 

That said, i have pretty much scoured all the usual sources in the western states, under the premise that most vehicles I have looked at east of the mississippi seem to have a lot of orange and brown particles on the bottom...

But for about the same price as a beater MJ, this just popped up on Tucson CL, about an hour ago.

Probably not much for creature comforts, but I would bet that it has a 2 ton payload. 

M998.jpg

8 minutes ago, pago cruiser said:

motownXJDad - took a wild guess, but Detroit and immediate surrounding do not seem to have any MJs listed on CL. If you can, would appreciate the location or link.

Unless it violates a rule, I would be glad to pay a finders fee if a tip leads to a purchase. 

That said, i have pretty much scoured all the usual sources in the western states, under the premise that most vehicles I have looked at east of the mississippi seem to have a lot of orange and brown particles on the bottom...

But for about the same price as a beater MJ, this just popped up on Tucson CL, about an hour ago.

Probably not much for creature comforts, but I would bet that it has a 2 ton payload. 

M998.jpg

What are you looking for (beater, resto mod, crawler, original) and where do you live? 86s are all over the damn place but as you get higher in years they are harder to find. 

Well either way you go either '86 to '92 they will need work. For example I got mine off my grandfather for 3k and he was the only owner. Purchased it with 169k miles all OEM parts hoses and rad included [which I am replacing now] all are good choices although I haven't seen many '88 models like mine. I've seen lots of '86 models, '87 models and even 90's but 88's, '91 and '92 I haven't seen many of. If you can get one with a mechanically sound engine and Trans I'd go for it. Mine was babied and nursed since '88 but they are out there. I'd say a healthy range is 3-6k 7-8 if it's basically new

Basically, looking for a 90-92, I6, auto, buckets, good paint (white or light; black or dark colors really suck in the desert), good condition. Miles are almost irrelevant; but bonus points if the engine has been gone through...

Restomod or original, as long as it's a driver; not OPP (other peoples projects).

At 67yo, I'm getting too old to be changing engines & trannys and other major mechanical. But other stuff is ok; except body and paint. I hate that stuff.    

I have found exactly 3 west of the mississippi like I am looking for, between $15 and $18k! 

Several east of the mississippi, all between $18k to $25k!!

Heck for about just a little more this starts to look reasonable:

(EDIT: this thing looks like it needs a big sign on the door: "Made by TONKA".

Would also more than likely suck at carrying 4x8 sheets of plywood and drywall).

2012 Wrangler Pickup.jpg

Classy -  saw that as well a couple days ago.  Looks pretty good; but manual tranny.  After several years with our 98 Wrongler (since sold) she refuses to drive a stick any more.

Pete.  I stand corrected; thanks.  Only the 91-92 has the 190HP I6.

Actually found more than a few that looked really good; especially the blue one in Riverside CA; but manual tranny.  Then spent some time on this and other forums, coming to the conclusion that it would take between $4-6k to swap to an auto, and a lot more time and effort that I have available...

These trucks for the most part seem to have sold as pretty low option work trucks. It may take some time to find one with an auto. The other reason that I think these trucks are so expensive is because the owners like them. They tow very well, they haul well, great visibility, and their unique. I know I have personally turned down $15k for mine. 

It seems we’ve hashed this out before a few times. In short, prices are going up. Given the demand and very limited supply, Comanche prices are headed higher. There may be a few selling cheap either because they don’t know what they have or they get nervous about being able to sell or it’s a rust bucket. But those are becoming the exception vs the norm. It’s generally a good thing for Comanche owners. 

I have a rust free 1992 White Comanche Eliminator 4x4 Short bed that I would sell. Still 97% original condition. Came from Calif and I have owned it for 7 years or so in Alabama.  AW4 trans. Vent windows, Dana 44 Track Lock 3.55 gears  with Up Country suspension. Nice original Comanche with very thin paint nowadays. A/C all there but needs freon. $10K is the price and less if I like you with extra parts. I just turned 77 years old and have to find an owner that 

will keep it up. Not perfect but very nice truck.

49 minutes ago, 1992EliminatorSWB4x4 said:

I have a rust free 1992 White Comanche Eliminator 4x4 Short bed that I would sell. Still 97% original condition. Came from Calif and I have owned it for 7 years or so in Alabama.  AW4 trans. Vent windows, Dana 44 Track Lock 3.55 gears  with Up Country suspension. Nice original Comanche with very thin paint nowadays. A/C all there but needs freon. $10K is the price and less if I like you with extra parts. I just turned 77 years old and have to find an owner that 

will keep it up. Not perfect but very nice truck.

Oh boy. Would be nice to have a 3rd for the collection 

On 7/3/2022 at 8:56 PM, pago cruiser said:

Been looking to get a later model MJ with a I6, auto, buckets, hopefully in good overall condition. 

Probably 90% of what I have found on ebay/Auto Trader, and Facebook Market Place seem to be beaters, from $3k to $15k.

The other 10% seem to be a lot closer to what I am looking for, mostly sold by dealers, from $15k to $25k.

This seems... crazy. 

Seems like trying to find a 90-91 in good condition with the I6 and auto has become a unicorn hunt... 

TIA.

On 7/3/2022 at 9:17 PM, Pete M said:

Every Comanche on Facebook Marketplace

^^I have this thread bookmarked from a couple years ago.  The search tool still works and it's great for keeping an eye on MJ market prices.

Good luck with your search.

For a price comparison, back in May I purchased my 1990 Eliminator, 4x4 AX15 with Dana 44 and AC.  It's an awesome truck, was only missing cruise control, which I will eventually put in.

It had a peculiar history, 3 owners 2nd one being the original selling Jeep dealer that used it as a parts runner for 15 years.  It needed refreshing and the driver's foot well welded up. 251k miles, paid $9800.  It wasn't worth it compared to many, but it had the options I wanted, fresh paint, new clutch and most importantly was just a few hours from me.  It's impossible to find reasonably clean ones up near Lake Erie and the rust belt.

You'll find the right one.  Don't discount the older Renix ones, they still great engines.  

Gents,

Thanks much or the comments, suggestions, and offers! Sincerely appreciated.

Found a cherry 91 just outside Fresno a few days ago; heading out tomorrow via AA to check it out.

If it's clean as the pics look, and we reach agreement on price...will be driving it back to Tucson.

This would be after I head to NAPA pre-road trip and get some radiator hoses, coolant, fuses, and a few other spares... 

700 miles across the desert in July in a new-to-me truck that has only been driven 1000 (local) miles in the last 2 years; what could possibly go wrong.

At least he has the factory Shop Manuals; may give me something to peruse as I am waiting for the AAA Tow Truck.

:rolleyes: 

Wish me luck.:comanche:

FWIW, as of today there are several new Comanche listings on ebay, in case anybody else was interested.

Oh, and +1 on SearchTempest. Really handy for both CL and FBMP.

91 Comanche.jpg

11 hours ago, pago cruiser said:

Gents,

Thanks much or the comments, suggestions, and offers! Sincerely appreciated.

Found a cherry 91 just outside Fresno a few days ago; heading out tomorrow via AA to check it out.

If it's clean as the pics look, and we reach agreement on price...will be driving it back to Tucson.

This would be after I head to NAPA pre-road trip and get some radiator hoses, coolant, fuses, and a few other spares... 

700 miles across the desert in July in a new-to-me truck that has only been driven 1000 (local) miles in the last 2 years; what could possibly go wrong.

At least he has the factory Shop Manuals; may give me something to peruse as I am waiting for the AAA Tow Truck.

:rolleyes: 

Wish me luck.:comanche:

FWIW, as of today there are several new Comanche listings on ebay, in case anybody else was interested.

Oh, and +1 on SearchTempest. Really handy for both CL and FBMP.

91 Comanche.jpg

I will be down in Tucson this fall. I won’t be bringing my Comanche down yet, but an AZ MJ meetup would be fun!