the first pair of tail lenses are available! :D

Pete M

even with the steep-ish price, I do feel people will be happy with them.  :L: 

I look forward to the various how-to vids that I'm sure are coming :D  (this housing came to me broken apart.  my luck with using heat has not been stellar and so I've stopped trying.)

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

even with the steep-ish price, I do feel people will be happy with them.  :L: 

I look forward to the various how-to vids that I'm sure are coming :D  (this housing came to me broken apart.  my luck with using heat has not been stellar and so I've stopped trying.)

I think it's great Key Parts is making the effort. I have been very happy with all products I've purchased thus far of theirs. The lens quality looks very good. I've separated several over the years many different ways with marginal luck all with different results depending on if the lens has already started separating or how brittle the light. I will never waste my time with the oven again. I trashed every single housing in some way shape or form when I went that route. The lens will outlast the housing every time warping or melting housing before the lens. Heat gun gave mixed results and was very time consuming. I only had luck taking a very long time starting and stopping letting cooling take place on already partially separated housings. The only way I'd ever do this or waste my time again is with a Dremel. I'm more dissappointed they didn't add a center recess on both sides for an additional mount point. I still just fail to see how a factory or aftermarket lens will last after being separated and resealed with just the four mounting points and any possible kind of sealant. The odd shape and poor factory existing oem troublesome mounting setup is working entirely against any good outcomes long term. I really am hopeful though and believe there are members here that posses excellent skills, craftsmanship, and the brains to help overcome this issue. I've seen and bought their other work. I'm looking forward to see the 3d printwork I expect a few of these craftsmen that most likely will resolve those issues. I hope eventually people will work together to post up ideas in one spot providing a think group with these ideas for those with the skills and follow through. My hats off to all of those. I simply do not have the patience to deal with the nicklers and dimers in over their heads constantly haggling others hardwork for free handouts. If the past year of America hasn't taught people a lesson on that, nothing will.  I have bigger fish to fry. This is my fun and hobby. I'm done ever letting anybody ruin that for me again or anything else for that matter. From my understanding the lens and housings are different materials with different melting points that were fused together by using a high frequency type of vibration at specific tempurature that 1 or 2 degrees off would damage something with very little room for error. There was no sealant ever used. I also understand that this process has been basically the same on most tail housings for years and even currently so again I'm a bit weary on long term positive results as oem mounting and sealant. Regardless I just don't see this resolving any oem assembly prices for restoring and show trucks. Ain't happening but hopefully they get on the trail rigs and clapped daily drivers so the oxygen thieves in America aren't bashing them with carts in the corporate parking lots or stealing them along with tailgates. If more people cut the hands off theives again there would be a lot less of that too.:soapbox:

Another part to consider when readhereing the lens to the housing is that it has to be temperature resistant. Now, not super high temps, but it can’t melt from driving around at night with the lights on. 

1 hour ago, 500 MJ said:

I wonder if using a hot knife / hot wire would work well to cut the old lens from the housing? 

The hot knife cut/separated excellent but it made a sloppy horrible mess that in no way shape or form could be salvaged with on the housing. I had a pile of lights I played with. I used different techniques specifically for what part was trashed. The oven was used only on completely trashed lenses and housings because my gut said it was in no way going to work. I even used a large part of boiling water. I did all this with an oven outside that was salvaged from a remodel job I did. No way I'd do it in my daily oven I use to cook. The temps attempted in the oven and boiling water were between 210 and 214 degrees. My research led me to 212 supposedly being the factory "fusion" temp of the two separate types of material. It has to be close because the housing quickly warps and melts anything above boiling. Anything less and absolutely nothing remotely happens. This was countless experimenting over multiple days like 4 or 5 winters back. The hot knife from harbor freight made quick work but it destroys the housing. I used a destroyed housing with perfect lens to experiment. In all out of a couple dozen or more lights I believe I was only successful in making parts to assemble maybe 3 or 4 with leftover parts. Part of it was due simply to what was there good to begin with initially since some were just complete trash lens and housing. I always knew the dremal is the route to take on good lights but that's not what I was attempting. I was attempting to basically see how many people were full of b.s. that seem to always say easy in the oven, water, heat gun yada yada yada without a single write up how to or video. I called b.s. every time. Answer me this riddle, why is there no how to or directions that come with a $175 set of replacement lenses that are to replace 2 different types of welded polymers? IT AIN'T OEM AND NEVER WILL BE! 😆 it's funny watching the naysayers fight reality after they crawl out from under their rocks but absolutely terrifying at the same time. Again just look at the past few years at America and the globe. It doesn't take a genius to see how stupid the majority of society really is. Just because dumb and ignorant is the majority doesn't make it right or change reality. It just means retard is the majority:soapbox:

gluing together headlights and tailights is fairly common (for light upgrades).  I'd wager you'll find several methods at youtube :L: 

random pics of the housing I have.  trying to show what it's like with the lens removed.  keep in mind the one reflector is missing.

IMG_20220102_101908_392.jpg

IMG_20220102_101849_700.jpg

IMG_20220102_101835_027.jpg

IMG_20220102_101953_192.jpg

IMG_20220102_101936_325.jpg

IMG_20220102_101926_354.jpg