the great bed journey to the northeast

Pete M

roughly the route I'm taking.  plus up from atlanta to detroit and then back down to atlanta.  dang uhaul won't let me rent this one point to point.  :fistshake2:  oh well, guess I'll have to hunt for some more parts :D 

map 2.jpg

today was staging.  tomorrow I go grab the uhaul trailer and start figuring out how to fit it all in.  :laugh: 

20210520_163717.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and so it begins...  I already know I'll be making a run to town for more straps. :D  when all is said and done they will be strapped down independently and then tied together to be a single unit. 

wasn't prepared for the ouch of buying that piece of plywood I'm using as a ramp.  dang, wood is expensive.  :( 

20210521_133022.jpg

the liberty just isn't reliable yet. :(   still have that random limp mode and there's no way I'm risking that with a big trailer.  but with the profits from the trip, I hope to finally remedy that situation. :D 

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

and so it begins...  I already know I'll be making a run to town for more straps. :D  when all is said and done they will be strapped down independently and then tied together to be a single unit. 

wasn't prepared for the ouch of buying that piece of plywood I'm using as a ramp.  dang, wood is expensive.  :( 

20210521_133022.jpg

I hope you don't catch a big cross-wind or that trailer might be up in the air spinning like Dorothy's house in Kansas or something out of Twister! Safe travels! 

it seems tall, but it's shorter than the camper I usually pull with plenty of weight down low (leafs and axles).  :L:  a lot less aerodynamic up front though. :(  not much I can do about that.

20210521_183656.jpg

Just an FYI, if you're planning the bay Bridge tunnel down thru the eastern shore...it ain't cheap, and they don't accept EZ pass (or at least they didn't use to).  Ive not been over it for a few years but the last time we were it was like $20 per single vehicle (and like I said, they don't use any electronic speed passes).  Not sure if dragging a trailer is a separate axle charge or not either).  Bottom line, have some cash on hand.  Theres about nothing out there, especially an ATM.  Mighty beautiful piece of America though.

1 hour ago, mjeff87 said:

Just an FYI, if you're planning the bay Bridge tunnel down thru the eastern shore...it ain't cheap, and they don't accept EZ pass (or at least they didn't use to).  Ive not been over it for a few years but the last time we were it was like $20 per single vehicle (and like I said, they don't use any electronic speed passes).  Not sure if dragging a trailer is a separate axle charge or not either).  Bottom line, have some cash on hand.  Theres about nothing out there, especially an ATM.  Mighty beautiful piece of America though.

good to know!  I'll gladly pay that price to skip a few hours of driving and stay away from DC traffic :D

looks like I'm leaving for the next leg east on Thursday.  gave me plenty of time today to work on more effectively slicing through that wind. :D  my chunk of uber expensive plywood is under there providing support and the edges of the tarp at the top and the bottom is sandwiched between pieces of my uber expensive 2x4s.  cheap tarps tend to die quick deaths if you at all rely on the grommets.  :nono:

20210524_192842.jpg

• Pete M changed the title to the great bed journey to the northeast