the great bed journey to the northeast

Pete M

losing 2 beds and 2 axles hasn't even been noticeable. :dunno:  it always drove and felt fine.  I'm sure technically I can accelerate faster now, but I don't really try to punch it.  the wind resistance is a huge fuel killer.  I was driving straight into a stiff wind through flat Ohio and was getting all of 9mpg :crazy: 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figure it's going to die a horrible death anyways so why use the nice camo one.  :D  at least this way no one will have an excuse as to why they didn't see me coming.  :laugh:

final version.  got support straps under it supporting it and over it controlling it.  I think it'll work out fine, but no plan survives first contact with the enemy. 

oh, and I used a buddy's winch to scoot the assembly back 2 feet to better weight the trailer, especially after the next bed gets dropped off.

20210525_151455.jpg

• Pete M changed the title to the great bed journey to the northeast

Hmmm...I posted a response to you this morning but it's not showing up.  Maybe I didn't actually hit the post button, LOL.

Anyways, just an FYI but there's 3 u-pull 'yards down here local to me (all owned by the same company).  Doubtful there's an MJ in any of them, and maybe a couple earlier model XJ's, but they are fairly huge and clean for the most part.  Depending on what all you're looking for, you might want to check them.  I'll give you a guided tour:laugh:

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

and I'm off again.  next stop, Pull-a-Part Cleveland!  (mostly because it breaks up a long drive day)  but after that, Niagara Falls!

I don’t know how much time you have, but make sure you go to Niagara Falls State Park and also there is the Niagara Aerospace Museum at the airport. Bell was based in Niagara and they have a lot of cool stuff on the Apollo missions. Mostly all the small rocket engines for flight trim and other stuff. Plus other Niagara Great Lakes stuff.

^^^yeah that.

I've been to the falls, Canada side, but it was when I was like 25.  My buddy said let's take a roadtrip one day, so we did.  Drove from Pittsburgh up on a Wednesday morning.  buddy got a speeding ticket in NY for like 90 in a 55....tossed it out the window after the cop pulled out.  Crossed the border, got to the falls and it was completely fogged in.  We could hear them but couldn't see them at all.  Had a $5 beer each at a local place there, then boogied back across the birder back to Buffalo to buy cheap(er) beer.  The rest of the night was a blur....stopped at Edinboro College on the way back to visit my then girlfriend (now wife of 28 years) and caught an Allman Brothers concert too.  We got home sometime the next day.

I would literally die if I tried that now.  But, great memories :beerbang:

Will do. :L:

Dropped off bed #4 so I finally got to lay the last one down and make use of my rearview mirror.  :D I'm holed up in a Walmart lot for the night listening to the rain. It's not half bad (if I wasn't wedged in the back of a Durango with a bunch of parts. Lol

I did score 3 late XJ headers, early KJ renegade flares, and various tow hooks. 

6x12.  It has a tailgate on the back.  If you need a full ramp, be aware the other 6x12 trailer narrows at the back. I'm using plywood as a ramp on the tailgate version (otherwise the beds don't fit)

The journey continues.. now with twice the mpgs as the start! :D. 

20210529_130258.jpg

So far so good. :L:

all parts have been dropped off at their new homes. Got to spot a carrier while on the ches bay bridge, and then 2 more in Norfolk.  Not sure what else was in my field of view, but it's hard to miss the flattops. :D

20210530_195347.jpg

20210530_195413.jpg

Hanging with mjeff on my "day off".   :beerchug:

Tomorrow starts the official tail of this trip, trying to fill the trailer back up. :D if uhaul is going to make me bring the trailer back to its place if origin, I might as well make use of it.  we'll see if I can get lucky in some southeast junkyards.  :banana:today is the first day it wasn't raining.  Finally got to dry out my jeans and toolbag. The cheap tools did not fare so well. 

20210531_161759.jpg

That far west is very unlikely for this trip. I'm absolutely exhausted. Just hitting Virginia and the Carolinas on a few leads before heading back to Atlanta. :L:

But you should still pull that bed :D

Might be cutting my trip short a day. First 'yard apparently had more beds than even they knew about.  :D all shorties though.  :( not exactly the best prices either, but the chance to go home weighed heavily. I'm done with this trip. I'm tired, still drying out some of my stuff, tired, and tired.  But at least I've got a sweet spot in the shade to empty the trailer and take a nap while waiting on the guys to get my stuff. :cool:

20210601_134057.jpg