Pete M

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Ollie said:

Glad to hear ya'll are getting the shots,  as herd immunity takes over, its better for me .

I am going to pass.

Having Comanche Fun,

Ollie

My I ask why you are skipping out on the shot?  

On 4/27/2021 at 10:52 PM, kook911 said:

My I ask why you are skipping out on the shot?  

Yes you may. I don't care for the gene altering attributes of the shot. They are not like any other vaccinations I have received.

Ollie

but they are like any other vaccine or illness in that it simply provides an example of what to fight so your body then has a heads-up for the real battle in the future.  the fragments of rna are then destroyed by your body as soon as it finds them. 

this is the future of modern medicine.  :L:  it may seem a bit scary now because it's new, but it'll become the norm soon enough.  :D   there's a whole plethora of viruses out there that are about to feel the wrath of good ol' human brain power as we wipe them off the face of the earth.  :banana:  

The US has passed 100 million fully vaccinated.  That's not quite 1/3 of the population.  But the rate of problems popping up from the vaccine seems to be well below 1%.  Still, there is plenty of anti-vaxer nonsense circulating out there.

https://apnews.com/article/ny-state-wire-coronavirus-health-1b7dd49a70a5232dca0cf2431d4da7b3 

16 hours ago, Ollie said:

Yes you may. I don't care for the gene altering attributes of the shot. They are not like any other vaccinations I have received.

Ollie

Is there any proof of what you are claiming or is this just a educated guess that you are making? 

mRNA vaccines aren’t even new. They’ve been in development for over 30 years.

Yes, it does seem a little odd in that it basically tricks your body into producing the antigens to teach your immune system how to attack the virus, but in a way that’s better, because the immune system can be taught a specific target within the virus that will remain the same across many different variants of the virus, or a target that neutralizes the virus more efficiently than one the body might learn on its own through a more conventional vaccine.

It does mean mRNA vaccines produce a more severe immune response than a conventional vaccine, given it can lead to the body’s cells generating some of what the virus uses to attack the body, and it affects lots of cells very easily, but the mRNA strands themselves are fairly delicate and they won’t make it to the cell nucleus before degrading without the virus pushing them.

Its also much quicker to synthesize the mRNA sequences than it is to cultivate neutralized pathogens to inject into the body instead, and you don’t even actually need to have the specific pathogen in the vaccine production facility once it’s been properly mapped, (which in this case was within a month of it first being discovered) so it’s a heck of a lot safer to produce as well.

Or so says what I’ve read on it. Science is cool.

Initially I was going to hold off a bit on getting the vaccine so those who were more likely to be severely affected by the virus could get vaccinated first, but I’ve since changed my mind. Due to the way the province has rolled out vaccine availability, at this point anyone who needs one more than me either has it, or is refusing to get it for some reason or another, so I’ll be going for it as soon as it’s available to my demographic.

I was also holding off so I wouldn't take the spot of someone at higher risk (and also because my folks were already vaccinated so my fear of bring it home was negated), but as soon as they opened it to the younger crowd, I'm all in. :L:  tomorrow afternoon I get shot #2.  bring it on!  :banana:

3 minutes ago, Jesse J said:

I am just afraid of being poked I hate it so much

Yeah, it gets better as you get older.  Needles used to bug the hell out of me but not so much anyore.

Don't psyche yourself out ahead of time.  When you're sitting waiting for the person to inject you, don't watch.  Chat about something else and before you know it, you're done.

8 minutes ago, derf said:

Yeah, it gets better as you get older.  Needles used to bug the hell out of me but not so much anyore.

Don't psyche yourself out ahead of time.  When you're sitting waiting for the person to inject you, don't watch.  Chat about something else and before you know it, you're done.

thanks for the advice. Idk one time i had an iv in and fell asleep and go my iv arm stuck in the hospital bed sideways and I didnt realize and have a little scare and I havent liked them since

It's just a prick, a sore arm, and maybe a bit of your body freaking out for a day or 2 with your cold response.  :L:  but knowing the day you get the shot you can plan for that and clear your schedule the following day just in case. 

If you sleep on your side, have them stick the other arm.  :grinyes: and do yourself a favor and keep that arm moving the rest of that day.  it appears to lessen the soreness. 

I can't take it - I've had Miller Fisher Variant of Guillain-Barré Syndrome twice now - that's a one in a billion, billion...  I'm a lucky SOB! lol  Apparently the vaccine can cause GBS, so if you've had it, you shouldn't take the vaccine. :confused:   I'm really not in the mood to spend another week in ICU and spend $175k again!!

My wife had Moderna, and the second one kicked her @$$ for 2-3 days (I'm glad that's over!! :laugh:)

14 minutes ago, EvilMJ said:

I can't take it - I've had Miller Fisher Variant of Guillain-Barré Syndrome twice now - that's a one in a billion, billion...  I'm a lucky SOB! lol  Apparently the vaccine can cause GBS, so if you've had it, you shouldn't take the vaccine. :confused:   I'm really not in the mood to spend another week in ICU and spend $175k again!!

My wife had Moderna, and the second one kicked her @$$ for 2-3 days (I'm glad that's over!! :laugh:)

An old high school friend has GBS and got his shots.  They just had him in observation to make sure he didn't have a flare up.  He didn't so they let him go and he's fine.

YMMV

26 minutes ago, derf said:

An old high school friend has GBS and got his shots.  They just had him in observation to make sure he didn't have a flare up.  He didn't so they let him go and he's fine.

YMMV

That's good to know.  My Dr was a military doctor and he studied vaccines and GBS for several years for the gov.  He said there is a direct correlation, and I shouldn't take is at the very  least until there is more time/data avail.  He said that to have it twice are not good odds! lol  I am almost positive mine is actually caused by the H3N2 Flu virus.  I have never had the flu (or the shot) - apparently my body can kill it, but my antibodies for that variant attack me when they are done.  Both years I have had it were years that the H3N2 were rampant in our area.

yup, the human immune system is a complicated thing and can sometimes go haywire when it interacts with viruses.  this summer is my 20th anniversary of fighting with myalgic encephalomyelitis. :(  it sucks.  every day sucks.  like a bad cold.  every day.  and those are the good days.  on bad days I'm just bed ridden.  and I didn't have a name for it until rather recently so most of those years were a struggle with my health plus a struggle with the ignorance of it all.  now I hear of a whole new crop of people that appear to be going down that path after just a mild case of Covid.  :(  I fear for them.  the latest estimates for long term problems from a mild case are 10-30%.  that's millions that have everything from nagging cold symptoms, complete loss of smell/taste, heart damage, lung damage, chronic fatigue, etc.  death is but one of the ways this virus can f up your existence.  more people need to take it seriously.  we now have the tools to stomp it out, now we just need to do it. 

10 minutes ago, Pete M said:

more people need to take it seriously.  we now have the tools to stomp it out, now we just need to do it. 

This.

The closer we get to full vaccination the better.  Fewer people getting it means fewer mutations.  Not only that, the more herd immunity we have the better for people who can't take the vaccine.

22 hours ago, Pete M said:

yup, the human immune system is a complicated thing and can sometimes go haywire when it interacts with viruses.  this summer is my 20th anniversary of fighting with myalgic encephalomyelitis. :(  it sucks.  every day sucks.  like a bad cold.  every day.  and those are the good days.  on bad days I'm just bed ridden.  and I didn't have a name for it until rather recently so most of those years were a struggle with my health plus a struggle with the ignorance of it all.  now I hear of a whole new crop of people that appear to be going down that path after just a mild case of Covid.  :(  I fear for them.  the latest estimates for long term problems from a mild case are 10-30%.  that's millions that have everything from nagging cold symptoms, complete loss of smell/taste, heart damage, lung damage, chronic fatigue, etc.  death is but one of the ways this virus can f up your existence.  more people need to take it seriously.  we now have the tools to stomp it out, now we just need to do it. 

Agree totally.  For years, the only time I heard of Miller Fisher was on House, MD. lol  We as a nation have dropped the ball on the virus and education in general.  The webbernet is part to blame as are our leaders.  We should have closed borders and gotten better control of the situation as soon as we knew something was happening.  It's easy to manage a weeks worth of fly-ins, it's not easy to control months worth.  At that point, it is literally beyond control.  Plus, when there is no central figure/leader to require the public to do it one way, then chaos ensues.  When everyone is changing the narrative and this official belittles another, etc., it breeds distrust and fear.  Then you have 100,000 cases a day and a million dead.  It's just sad.  Don't even mention the blame game and partisan/nationalist crap.  Everyone should have one goal, protect the public and stop the virus.  Us, China, Democrats, Republicans, Nazis, tater-juice drinkers, etc! lol