Do You Have 32" Tires and 4.5" Lift??

I would like input from the guys running or have run 32x11.5" tires with 4.5" lift, stock wheels, and stock (3.55) gears and no fender trim. 

- How does it run on the highway?  Still hold speed okay?

- Do they rub anywhere?  I assume it will on the control arms but what about while flexing?

I finally need to get new tires, the ones that came with my wheels are pretty worn out.  I know 31s will fit fine but they look too small on this lift, 33s are just too big for what I want.  32s seem like the sweet spot of looks and hopefully performance with the setup mentioned above. 

My truck is mostly used for truck things and only sees off-road a few times a year, but when I do go off-road it gets fully flexed out so I need to be careful how I set this up.  It's not a mall crawler and it's not a crazy off-road rig, I'm shooting for the middle here.

I have some 265/75R16 tires on my XJ.  They are 32s more or less.

I'm running 4.56 gears with the automatic up here in the mountains and it's a good combo.

Down in Iowa I would probably like 4.10s.  3.55s just wouldn't be enough gear for me to be happy.

I'm on a 3.5" lift with cutout flares.

I haven’t put the new 4.5 lift on yet, but I will be running the same setup (with aftermarket wheels). I picked up the 32x11.50x15 toyo road ventures. 

With the current lift setup (a old sagging Trailmaster 4 in) they rub on the front fenders in a hard turn. I am hopeful that I won’t have any rub except for at full flex. If anything I am thinking I might have to add an extra .75 spacer on the front. 

I hope to get the new lift installed in the next week or two. 

Here’s a pic of the current setup:

2E6D7524-6EEC-414F-8801-FCB149D46255.jpeg

9893C75B-D7E2-4852-909D-633824F96ACF.jpeg

On my XJ, I have a 4.5 lift. I had 31's on it. A bit sluggish. I regeared to 4.10s. Also, a bored TB with 2.5 exhaust. The bore TB really helped on hills in WV. I am presently on 32s, or such. A metric tire. Not sure if some electrical issues or such. A bit lower power. I would almost go with 4.30 gears. I think mine issue is a Transmission sensor.  

+1 for 265/75R16

These are essentially 32x10.5.  They will fill out your wheel wells just like the 32x11.5s but the narrower track will minimize rubbing. 

As wheels go, most stock 15" wheels are 5.5" backspacing. One of the reasons I switched from 15" Ravines to 16" Moabs is because the Moabs have 5" BS which pushes the wheel outboard without the need for spacers. You gain a half inch of clearence to further reduce rubbing issues. 

According to my eyeball, a 10.5" tire on a wheel with 5" BS seems to be the limit if you are at all concerned about keeping the tires under the stock fender flares.

32's on stock gearing will be no fun.

I'd also put in there to check reviews on Brands of Tires. I went from 31 Master Crafts which puckered and had a fair amount of road noise. I replaced them with Falken's, I forget the metric designation, but R17's and a 32. So much quiteter. Also, they are 3-peaks. So, much better in the snow. I finally went wheeling at the Badlands, Attica IN. It was NAJXA's Winterfest. Besides a stocker, I was probably the lower rung XJ out there. I ran fine, except a few mud pits. I ran Orange trails. I saw one or two with chains. So, might be a way to compensate for not having a better mud tire. I do not have spacers up front. I do have less turning radius. In part to the swaybar brackets I run. 

Thanks for the input everyone.  I should have mentioned before that I have pretty well decided to go with BFG KO2 ATs.  I like the idea of running metric with the slightly narrower tire but the BFGs don't come in 32x10.5 unfortunately.

As far as wheels go, I have a set of 5 Eliminator specific 10 holes that I want to keep with the truck so that limits me to r15. I will take a look at what's available in 265/75r15 and maybe can find something to sway me from the BFGs.  The narrower tire would help with rotating mass and won't hurt power and mpg quite as bad I suppose.

Updated pic with the 4.5 front lift installed and 32x11.50x15s. So far no scrubbing lock to lock. I do still have to change out the stock lower control arms and finish the ZJ steering components upgrade. 

This is a RC lift with an extra .75 in coil spacer so in reality it should be a 5.25 total lift in the front.

E8C403C3-D677-4D94-B63C-65AC5D0C2D26.jpeg

I've got 265/75 R16s on a set of TJ Rubicon take offs on a 4-4.5" lift (not sure exactly what it used to be but it's about 4" now). Rubs at full lock to the right if I remember correctly. I took them off for the 31x10.5 on 15s because I was constantly rubbing going in/out of parking lots.

Edit: I did have to run a spacer/adapter to correct the bolt pattern.  I ran the thinnest one I could find, I think it was 1.25" IIRC.

On 3/20/2021 at 11:01 PM, CGCWO said:

I haven’t put the new 4.5 lift on yet, but I will be running the same setup (with aftermarket wheels). I picked up the 32x11.50x15 toyo road ventures. 

With the current lift setup (a old sagging Trailmaster 4 in) they rub on the front fenders in a hard turn. I am hopeful that I won’t have any rub except for at full flex. If anything I am thinking I might have to add an extra .75 spacer on the front. 

I hope to get the new lift installed in the next week or two. 

Here’s a pic of the current setup:

2E6D7524-6EEC-414F-8801-FCB149D46255.jpeg

9893C75B-D7E2-4852-909D-633824F96ACF.jpeg

Nice looking FL truck

On 3/23/2021 at 7:35 AM, Dzimm said:

Unfortunately it doesn't appear anyone makes this size anymore.

Well that sucks!!!! I had a buddy that put a set on a TJ several years ago, he really liked that size tire.

Also realized I said I have toyos, I actually have Kumhos one of the pluses of them is they are a C  rated tire verse E as are most bigger tires. I can’t speak to their ride, tread life or anything else yet as I haven’t really started driving the truck to much yet.

4 hours ago, CGCWO said:

Well that sucks!!!! I had a buddy that put a set on a TJ several years ago, he really liked that size tire.

Also realized I said I have toyos, I actually have Kumhos one of the pluses of them is they are a C  rated tire verse E as are most bigger tires. I can’t speak to their ride, tread life or anything else yet as I haven’t really started driving the truck to much yet.

Yeah it's unfortunate.  We are getting closer and closer to having to run the god aweful huge wheels with thinwall tires...

On 3/22/2021 at 3:54 PM, PIKE said:

I have 33-10.5-15 on stock wheels on my rig with 4.56 gears and 4.5 lift. Very happy. Rubs a little at full lock so I just don't turn the wheel that far.:cool:

Pike, what highway mpg and cruising speed do you get with 33" tires, 4.56 gears and the AX15 5 speed?

On 3/25/2021 at 12:10 AM, Dzimm said:

Yeah it's unfortunate.  We are getting closer and closer to having to run the god aweful huge wheels with thinwall tires...

Haha! I'm so glad to read that I'm not the only one! Gotta roll on doughnuts if you know what I mean :D

On 3/25/2021 at 9:20 AM, KYPioneer said:

Pike, what highway mpg and cruising speed do you get with 33" tires, 4.56 gears and the AX15 5 speed?

Don't really know the mileage, never check it. I did have to get a special set up for the speedometer, it was way off after switching from 3.07 gears. That was years ago at a local shop that calibrated speedometers. 

I can tell you I think the 4.56 gears are perfect for 33s because 1st gear is very usable. Plenty of speed out of it and never use 2nd to start out like I do in my 1996 Powerstroke with a 5 speed.

I can cruise 70 mph no problem.

Sorry it took so long. 33-10.5r 15 BFG all terrains old style. They say made in USA on them. 4.5 Ribicon Express springs in front, home made springs with spring under in the rear. 

IMG_0676[1].JPG

IMG_0677[1].JPG