Idaho?

Eagle

Is there anyone here from Idaho? I need intel ...

Awhile back, I applied for a civilian position at Mountain Home AFB. This morning I received a phone call from the head of some facilities group at the base, and the call seems to have turned into a virtual interview. I think they're going to offer me the job.

So ... what would I be getting into? I know the base is in the southwest corner of the state and is basically isolated. That's about all I know. Help me fill in the blanks.

TIA

Only an hour from Boise, so that is the nearby hub. Lots of people moving to that area recently and depending on who you ask, possibly the #1 place for relocations in the entire U.S. last year. Semi-arid climate, so not much rainfall compared to the rest of the country. Plenty of outdoor activities with the national parks nearby.

Most of my time has been spent in Coeur d'Alene years back, so can't offer much more, but I have been looking closely at ID for relocation along with TN and NC.

A few years ago we considered moving there. We have a friend who lives in mountain home and my old boss was from Bosie. It's gorgeous but the population landscape is, "unique". There's a large mormon population ( not knocking it, just not for me) and that can be different if you aren't used to it. Basically be a part of it or be shunned. Then on the flip side you have the radical militia groups (more north along the WA border) mixed with a major meth problem and a bunch of people from CA taking it over. Our friend in mountain home likes it but it's small, she grew up there. So you're limited on something but Bosie isnt far. If I wasn't married with kids I'd definitely consider there or montana. I can't recall but I believe they have limited taxes which is nice. 

1 hour ago, grouch said:

The Boise area has higher property taxes than say the Nampa area.  I don't know about Mountain Home area.

Are you looking to buy or rent?

Federal jobs have a one-year probation period, so initially I would rent, and keep my house in Connecticut. Assuming I survive the probationary period, then I would see the place in Connecticut and buy something in Idaho.

My dad grew up in the Twin Falls area, and I’ve got a fair bit of family down that way still. It’s very scenic land, you’ve got the sawtooth mountains right there, and the desert is amazing. The BLM land around there is sagebrush desert, with crazy lava flows everywhere. Lots of long-ago volcanic activity makes for very interesting geology that was really cool to explore. I got let loose with my parents’ Envoy the one day to explore a bit, and my dad expressly told me not to take the desert track across to craters of the moon, knowing that would guarantee that’s how I’d get there.5C464D92-22C2-4E37-9C71-66F0FBFFE7B9.jpeg.b95e91cf213c139d636993416d964a84.jpeg

F87F67D5-2D07-4174-B7CC-EB98074CB47D.jpeg.a5c170248ce1c54d8a49b53ab166564e.jpeg

This is Shoshone falls with probably more water flowing over it than anyone’s seen in a long time:DE4E9F19-EA43-4449-ABCB-6249E0E112E1.jpeg.7deccb2fa8a59466c06af6dbca670335.jpeg

I was down that way to see family a couple summers ago. I don’t know that it was somewhere I could see myself settling down, but it’s pretty cool to visit. 

I was born in Idaho, albeit quite a bit further north in Lewiston.  Lived there until I was 10 full time and worked my uncle's ranch about 25 miles east of there up the Clearwater River in the summers until I left for my college and military sojourns.  Most of my immediate family is in Oregon so I've driven I80 & 84 more times than I can remember.  I've lived in CO nearly 50 years.  I spent the night a couple of years ago in Mt. Home and camped in the state park just south of there on the Snake river on the trip out.

Aside from the AFB, some irrigation farming from the Snake, and freeway traffic motel biz, there isn't much going on there.  It's a way station in a very arid part of the state.  The mountains to the north are fabulous and beautiful so there is that.  I'm a westerner through and through and love a rural lifestyle but I would have to paid a lot to want to live in Mt. Home.  But that's just me.

Grew up outside Boise in Nampa, at 18 moved to Moscow, ID and stayed till 2008 when I moved to Colorado.   Idaho is a mostly rural state with the only major population center right at Boise.  If you’re all about the malls and big city, look elsewhere.   If campfires and looking at the stars is your thing then you might be happy.   It’s definitely a live and let live kinda place.