4.5" Lift

Hello again everyone,

I'm just looking for a little help getting a parts list together. Gonna make a junk yard trip when the weather breaks and need to see what I need to order and what I need to dig through the junk yards for.

Looking to put in the Rough Country 4.5" Lift Kit and from what I've read, there are parts outside of this kit that I'm going to need but I've been seen a lot of conflicting information.

WJ vs ZJ Track Bar? And will they work with the lift? Or should I go with the Rough Country Track Bar?

Drop pitman arm?

Steering stabilizer?

Anything else I'm missing?

This is the kit I was looking at:

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-suspension-lift-kit-626-20.html?find=1988-jeep-comanche-mj-4wd-735316&sid=UwgLVWkhpL

Also looking to put 31" tires, POSSIBLY 33" tires. Curious of the ride difference, loss of power, and any strain on my 1988 MJ, Stock axles, 4.0L, 4x4, Automatic.

Thanks!

20210101_004737.jpg

Pretty sure from what I have heard the RC kit for the MJ is just as bad as the other kits they offer.

I would suggest getting new leaf packs that are correctly arched than stuffing some stiff add-a-leaf and all in there. Look up Rustys on google and find their 4.5" springs. Then just do a XJ 4.5" Rubicon express kit for an XJ.

Figure doing it this way would be around the same price but much better ride quality.

Also, def do an adjustable track bar. Funny enough, the geniuses at RC swear that their 6" lift doesnt need it LOL. The guy said "You can use the stock track bar for any of our lifts".

16 minutes ago, MercManche said:

Pretty sure from what I have heard the RC kit for the MJ is just as bad as the other kits they offer.

I would suggest getting new leaf packs that are correctly arched than stuffing some stiff add-a-leaf and all in there. Look up Rustys on google and find their 4.5" springs. Then just do a XJ 4.5" Rubicon express kit for an XJ.

Figure doing it this way would be around the same price but much better ride quality.

Also, def do an adjustable track bar. Funny enough, the geniuses at RC swear that their 6" lift doesnt need it LOL. The guy said "You can use the stock track bar for any of our lifts".

Lol Yea exactly why I was skeptical about RC. I put a 2.5" pro comp lift in my YJ a long time ago and still don't think I have the steering ironed out. I know a lot changes over 3" of lift.

Took your advice on Rusty's and actually found this complete MJ kit.

Has anyone run this kit, of so, suggestions on the drop down menues for upgraded/added parts? Also anything else not mentioned on this page?

https://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-mj-comanche-4-5-spring-pack-kit.html

20210101_011907.jpg

20210101_011918.jpg

that is a basic all around kit that will get you headed i  the right direction. are you doing the work? how are your skills? you can get 4.5" lift by performing a spring over in the rear.

longer brake lines needed, adj track bar or relocation bracket to keep stock trac bar, tcase cross member drop spacerz, shocks of proper length, bump stops, steering link upgrade, pitman arm drop pending steering choice setup, bigger tires means less performance with out gear changes in the axle. bigger tires means more leverage on components causing more wear of old and weak partz account for that. 

best to save money for decent kit components and quality shocks and control arms. long arms, adj ca, or fixed ca as in the kit posted but be most beneficial with lca drop brackets and this will help with ride quality. but what are you after, trail rig, road warrior, weekend warrior, mall crawler. make a plan for what you want to do with your jeep and how big of tires you want or need. then build for that. 

if just want something more now with a good stance and short on funds, then i suggest a 3" lift with some 31s. then go from there. search around and check what others have done and plan ahead to not waste your money. 

:L: enjoy. 

2 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

that is a basic all around kit that will get you headed i  the right direction. are you doing the work? how are your skills? you can get 4.5" lift by performing a spring over in the rear.

longer brake lines needed, adj track bar or relocation bracket to keep stock trac bar, tcase cross member drop spacerz, shocks of proper length, bump stops, steering link upgrade, pitman arm drop pending steering choice setup, bigger tires means less performance with out gear changes in the axle. bigger tires means more leverage on components causing more wear of old and weak partz account for that. 

best to save money for decent kit components and quality shocks and control arms. long arms, adj ca, or fixed ca as in the kit posted but be most beneficial with lca drop brackets and this will help with ride quality. but what are you after, trail rig, road warrior, weekend warrior, mall crawler. make a plan for what you want to do with your jeep and how big of tires you want or need. then build for that. 

if just want something more now with a good stance and short on funds, then i suggest a 3" lift with some 31s. then go from there. search around and check what others have done and plan ahead to not waste your money. 

:L: enjoy. 

I'm basically looking to give my truck a factory restoration with a few upgrades (Lift kit, upgraded bumpers with close to stock appearance, upgraded headlights/roll bar lights/bumper lights, custom headliner, and custom hood ornament)

Not planning on any heavy offroading with my comanche. I use it as a daily driver for now which is always fun because I don't know if I'm turning heads bc it's a comanche or because people are surprised it's running lol.

I know what I'm doing as far as mechanics and install. No welding skills whatsoever so trying to stick with bolt on applications.

I'm not fond of the spring over axle idea. And even if I did, I was under the impression that would give me closer to 6" lift in the rear?

This rusty's kit looks promising since I'd like new complete leaf springs vs the add a leaf alternative which 99% of the kits offer. I've read mixed reviews in the past about Rusty's but I feel very limited for the MJ.

Does anyone know if Motion Offroad still exists?

As a general rule of thumb, these brands do not have a stellar reputation with Jeeper’s who actually use their vehicles for off-roading:

Rough Country

Pro-Comp

Tough Country

IMHO I would also add:

Rugged Ridge

The only “budget” lift company that I’ve had good success with is Zone off-road who is affiliated with BDS suspension. The brands that tend to get the most positive reports:

Currie

Metal Cloak

Savvy

Iron Rock Off-road 

Old Man Emu

Rubicon express kind of falls in the middle both in terms of price and quality. Also heard good things about Hell Creek springs for MJ’s. Alcan and National of course are up there if you just need leaf springs or coils but they are pricey. There are faults with all brands and probably some positive things too but the above has held true from what I’ve run and seen on the trails. Probably forgetting some other too

8 hours ago, Kheltic said:

Lol Yea exactly why I was skeptical about RC. I put a 2.5" pro comp lift in my YJ a long time ago and still don't think I have the steering ironed out. I know a lot changes over 3" of lift.

Has anyone run this kit, of so, suggestions on the drop down menues for upgraded/added parts? Also anything else not mentioned on this page?

20210101_011907.jpg

20210101_011918.jpg

I'm running the Rusty's kit on my 97+ MJ.  It's got everything you need included in the kit.  I upgraded the shocks the brushed aluminum ones with orange caps, RX200 in the drop down maybe?  I also got the standard steering stabilizer with mine as my stock one was shot.  You won't need the T-case drop spacers so just put those on the shelf but youll need to use the shims to correct the angle.  

The only thing I noticed that this kit could do better is have longer or adjustable lower control arms as once installed the included ones pull the front axle backwards just enough to be noticable, it doesn't affect the ride quality or cause major issues, it's a visual thing.  If you run massive tires I suppose it could cause some rubbing.

It's an overall great kit to get you started for sure.  I would also recommend you look at swapping your rear axle if you are still running the D35 as it doesn't have the best reputation with larger tires.  The "Axle type" drop down for this lift kit is only referencing the u-bolts size so don't worry about being locked into an axle with this kit.  If you swap axles later you just need to order different size U-bolts.

8 hours ago, Kheltic said:

20210101_011907.jpg

20210101_011918.jpg

So Rustys does not give out their spring rates which is kind of annoying to compare with other companies.

However, like ghetdjc320 just mentioned in his post, I would try to get one of the more premium brands for everything else. The only thing I would get from Rustys is their rear leaf springs. 

In my experience, I have recommended OME and Rubicon Express and never heard any complaints. I would go with what your budget and driving style suits you better.

If it were me I would do OME HD front coils with a spacer once you get the rear leafs in. Note that you should NOT order spacers until you get the rear leafs installed and jack up the front by the frame to match, that way you can set the front where you want it using poly spacers. 

OME would give you the best Daily driver riding quality IMO, and I would get Bilstein shocks to match. Just my 2c, but the Rustys kit does look complete. But uh Dzimm, where are these 97+ MJs you speak of and where can I get one :laugh: 

15 minutes ago, MercManche said:

But uh Dzimm, where are these 97+ MJs you speak of and where can I get one :laugh: 

He did the conversion. It looks more like a 97 and then people won’t get confused about which of his MJs he’s talking about. 

21 hours ago, MercManche said:

But uh Dzimm, where are these 97+ MJs you speak of and where can I get one :laugh: 

21 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

He did the conversion. It looks more like a 97 and then people won’t get confused about which of his MJs he’s talking about. 

89 MJ is correct, just easier to differentiate the trucks that way.  The 97+ swap is something you have to do yourself or buy a truck that it's already been done to.

I always prefer longer sway bar links to the drop spacers (mostly due to the bolts that attach them just snapping off on northern trucks). 

you will not need a drop pitman arm unless you're also adding a trackbar drop bracket.

smaller tires and less lift will always make a better daily driver.  bigger tires and bigger lifts will sometimes make a better offroader.

On 1/1/2021 at 10:14 AM, Jesse J said:

It's times like this that make me wish I had leafs on all for corners

I assure you that if you did, you'd be dreaming of a 4 linking everything for more flex and less spring wrap like lots of other YJ guys. :L:   cheap/easy is rarely "better".

On 1/1/2021 at 3:52 AM, Kheltic said:

This rusty's kit looks promising since I'd like new complete leaf springs vs the add a leaf alternative which 99% of the kits offer. I've read mixed reviews in the past about Rusty's but I feel very limited for the MJ.

Call IRO. Tell them you want to order a complete XJ Lift kit minus the leaf springs. I think they make 2", 3", 4" and 6" kits.

Then buy your leafs separately from any reputable source.

I started with the Rusty's kit you are looking at. I added stainless extended brake lines and extended stay bar links when I installed it. Since then I have added adjustable uppers, Bilstein shocks and a ton of other stuff in the middle. My build has my install in it.

4 hours ago, JMO413 said:

I started with the Rusty's kit you are looking at. I added stainless extended brake lines and extended stay bar links when I installed it. Since then I have added adjustable uppers, Bilstein shocks and a ton of other stuff in the middle. My build has my install in it.

yes thanks for posting. :L: 

check out his build you can get good look at what your after i think.