Project: Cruise, a 1960 T-bird.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know. Something to be said for being able to just sit in a 2019 car and just drive it. 5 years of not having to do anything but change to oil is pretty nice.

Even nicer when it's my wife's car, the lack of worry about THAT item is cheap insurance.

11 minutes ago, BeatCJ said:

I don't know. Something to be said for being able to just sit in a 2019 car and just drive it. 5 years of not having to do anything but change to oil is pretty nice.

Even nicer when it's my wife's car, the lack of worry about THAT item is cheap insurance.

Exactly.  My XJ and MJ are my toys and projects.

My 2019 Subaru is a generic daily driver that just works.  I don't have to think about it.  I don't have to worry about it.

I may replace it with a new truck to share towing and daily driver duty.  If I stick with an old truck as a tow pig, I'll keep the Subaru as a daily.

My old vehicles all have carbs and not a joy to drive in the winter. 10 minutes till the choke is off, another 10 before the heater starts. The worry if someone hits it where the parts are going to be acquired. Am radio only, no a/c. Don't get me wrong i love the ones I have, I won't daily them. (I don't consider the Comanche old but it's just as old as me lol)

• 3 weeks later...

Lol not yet. I feel that day might be approaching. I got a NOS water pump in to replace the rusted out one. I need to get a thermostat for it, possibly a new radiator but if I remember right, it had no leaks. I’ll need to remove the condenser until I can get a new one. 
Need to get a more proper battery, new hoses, possibly a fuel line, t-stat and probably something else in forgetting. I’ll be going over there tomorrow and seeing how long she will run and idle for on the makeshift tank and pump. I still have no idea if the old fuel pump works or not but the one I got is wrong. 

I do very much agree with ya there Pete. I more or less need it to run and drive at the moment, not so much as a daily just yet. I have been shopping around and what sucks is despite being a Ford, it seems like I am working with limited aftermarket parts and feels like I am building another MJ with said limited parts. 

I will definitely get around to getting a new one. Transmission won't drive if I don't at least have the built in cooler(with radiator) hooked up.

Really was pretty high tech for its time. I don't know why the radio won't power on. The fuse has been replaced but like I said, everything else doesnt work at the moment like the power windows, horns, headlamps. Actually, the only damn thing that does seem to work other than the dome light, some tails, the ignition switch and cluster is the damn blower motor!