Project: Cruise, a 1960 T-bird.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well good news! The T-bird fires and almost catches! It was a combo of the battery being the wrong cranking amps and dirty connections. Now I need it to catch and run for a little bit. Then it will be the gas tank and then the brakes. Then hopefully in driving shape she will be in. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have no idea when I will get back to this poor car. I did something(some know what I did, please don't say) and all I can say is it was an accident which resulted in me(self punishment) to not go to my grandparents house unless someone else is there to accompany me. But they will be home soon!

Anyways moving on from the negativity, I found a really cool piece from the 50's for this car. It is a micro flare kit. Its pretty cool, the reflectors come in a little red box that stores 3 of them. Pretty neat. Its a Micro-Flare Model No. 18BF. Not sure if i want to restore the box or not. I can get a pic later if anyone would like or simply look up the kit. 

• 1 month later...
Just now, eaglescout526 said:

Have not. Grandparents will be returning from their stay in TN so I’ll be able to go spend some weekends with them and work on it. 

Nice! It is so close. I'll be it is killing you to not have it driveable yet.

13 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

Nice! It is so close. I'll be it is killing you to not have it driveable yet.

It really is! With them being home it will be alot easier to stay there and not have to worry about spending a little bit of time and waiting for it to cool off. Just gotta get the engine to run for a split second, wire up the new ignition switch and drop the gas tank and hopefully clean it, then try to actually just run it for a minute. After that, its committing blasphemy with the brakes by using an XJ master and proportion block.

• 2 weeks later...

Back at it. Did some work but now I know I need a new starter, starter relay, battery cables as I melted the negative while trying to get the car to run and I probably should do an oil change. I finally got the ignition switch wired up. I think I got it wired up right, blower comes on in the run position, didn’t test ACC because I’m a dork and forgot it has that, radio kinda works. No sound comes out but the speaker does static when adjusting the volume. But it’s wired, it cranks when it should and that’s good enough for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, I yanked the gas tank out today and took it home. It has some small holes on the top after cleaning and the sending unit looks like a relic with rust. I think gas sat in the tank for 20+ years as it smells bad and kinda like paint remover. Ill clean out the tank later but it might be worth my while to buy a new tank and sending unit. 

You could try a product called Red Kote to bring that tank back. It’s a thick film that you dump in and then roll around to seal up the interior of the tank. Not sure if it’ll cover holes that big but I’ve seen it do miracles on what most would think is an unusable fuel tank. 

I might goof around with the tank for a little while longer. I just flushed it with some water and some stuff came out but not all, still looks pretty brown and dark inside. Id try to weld the holes on the tank but I kinda am more to the point of utilizing my employment at the dealership to order a new tank and sending unit and maybe putting the tank on the back burner. Something tells me the tank is original as it has an undercoating. But that doesnt mean it wasnt replaced and then undercoated.