Project: Cruise, a 1960 T-bird.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Engine still runs, flushed out the block. Kinda scares me how brown the water was for a solid 5-7 minutes. But I cranked it shortly after and nothing unusual came out of the exhaust nor any weird sounds. I’ll have to check the oil and see if any water got mixed in. Hoping not. With the fuel line clear I can now put gas in the tank. But first I need to get an assortment of new hoses and what not for water pump and fuel lines. So ran the engine for a little, stopped it and cranked it again and fired right back up which is a good thing. But then it was either back firing or running low on gas in the carb. Either way, timing is off or I rebuilt the carb wrong(wouldn’t surprise me). 

Was going to get the NOS water pump installed but realized I need the bridge hose from the block to the pump. 

Slowly getting there. 

Well Pete you are right but I haven’t been taking pics because much hasn’t really changed. I did go out and snap a couple pics though. 

2CB4DDC8-920F-43E6-A4D3-5C9CB5CBADCE.jpeg.f0e94a559b4d5c7eca9c98e9c968457f.jpeg

6C52836E-B6A8-49DB-8747-CD89F351E08A.jpeg.2cf13b2b9a55f9740169ec7fb0aa7b6b.jpeg

Thats just the intake manifold outlet. The two for the block are really dark and can’t see into them without a flash light and I don’t have one with me at the moment to use to snap a pic. 

I’ll get a couple of the NOS pump later. Still lots to do and clean. Wish I could really take the time to take this engine apart and do it right the first time but I have to get this car going and able to drive a short distance.....

1 minute ago, eaglescout526 said:

Not a clue. One of those gut feelings. Plus it also acts like it’s kinda out of time but that could be a vac/distributor issue and not a carb issue. 

that makes sense. well you can always re rebuild it

Well there’s progress but not what I wanted. I put fuel in the tank, not enough to get into the fuel line apparently, but I did use about half of the gas can with trying to get the engine to run before so there just might not have been that much to go into the tank. Had my friend help me out, probably spent an hour or two total on the fuel system. Had him watch the fuel pump while I cranked the engine to see if it was pumping fuel. None. Tried again still nothing. Decided to just go back to the gas tank and make sure the fuel line was connected. Nope. I thought I had it reconnected but it wasn’t oops. So I got that connected, never heard fuel pouring out of the hose line before reconnecting the hose so I didn’t lose any fuel there. Got it all buttoned up. Still no fuel. Swapped out the pump. Tested the old one, seemed to test good but swapped it anyways for a new one just in case. Stood there, decided to take off the carb to make sure I built it right at home and get more gas. 

On the bright side the horns work! But I think the steering wheel has been off once as the contact plate doesn’t quite touch the contact stem to make the horns sound so I get to figure out the same problem I had on the MJ yay! One step forward, five backwards. 

I’ll get it solved. Engine sounds like it back fires while running, not sure what’s up with that. 

That another thing I am gonna check out. I feel certain that it could be timing related but my main goal is to get the fuel system running and the engine to run on its own without any help.

I would also like to add that the positive battery cable that has been on since probably '98 has been replaced. Got too hot and was probably corroded on the inside. Upon replacing it the engine started right away and starter sounds more happy to crank than before. So woo there too!

Funny you mention that. That was the first thing I tried before replacing the pump. I took an electric pump I salvaged from those modern all in one pump/sending unit assemblies and used that to at least prime the line and got nothing, I think there just wasnt enough gas left in the can and to add probably the age of the suspension probably doesnt help.