Project: Cruise, a 1960 T-bird.

4 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Yeah it is absolutely an anomaly. So I’ll be going back tomorrow to install a few things and clean up some contacts with my drill wire brush. I also need to figure out why the front headlamps aren’t getting any power. I suspect the headlamp fuse on the switch is popped but wouldn’t I not have markers or rear lights? Suppose I need to spend a full day looking at the t-bird forums. 

I don't think they had a fuse on the lights, maybe a breaker. I'd suspect either a bad switch or a bad high beam switch

Probably the latter

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

there is literally no reason why you can't get this car driving.  just gotta slay each gremlin, one at a time. :L: 

Or at least just slay the major gremlins. Don't sweat the small stuff yet.

Oh I’m not. It’s just tedious and a bit challenging when the car isn’t readily accessible but that’s more on my schedule. I should have it running once I get the starter replaced and the fuel line clear. The weirdest part is if I pour some gas down the carb and crank it, it acts like the gas is stopping it from cranking and slows up. I plan to pour some oil down into the crankcase and I may get back at it on Christmas weekend. Guess the holiday stress is hitting me. 

I just reread this who thing. Did you change the points and condenser yet? If not that is a definite before trying to stay again. Points are finicky to say the least. If it's sat that long I would guess they are shot. Both are cheap to replace. 

For $25 if you buy the good stuff is well with the money. IMHO Definitely make sure the points are set correctly or it will never start. I've owned 3 cars and 1 motorcycle that had points when I got them. None had them when I was done. We when swapped a Pertronix in the fork truck at work. 

Points from what ive seen and read is finicky but reliable once it is set right. I am willing to bet that is my problem as it the engine fires on a few cylinders. Ive been spoiled by Renix.

LOL!! Gotta find one. Maybe those 2006ish 1500's that had the Viper engine in them will suffice. If I found a V10 cheap enough I would do the swap. Be a very fast T-bird.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/15/2020 at 9:00 PM, 89 MJ said:

:roflmao:

I’ll bet that’s the first time anyone has said that!

Huh, I missed this but yes I will admit I have been a bit spoiled by such.

Now on to some issues. Christmas day I went and cleaned all contacts for the points and that was it. Didnt try anything else. Came back today, cranked her over, can't tell if the starter hates life or if the engine doesnt like cranking while making compression. Might crack open the valve covers and just watch the action of all the lifters...that being said I took out all the spark plugs and each one has fired at least a few times as they are pretty damn black in color. I confirmed I am getting a good strong spark, it just seems like the starter needs to be replaced. But with the plugs out, itll crank all damn day without an issue. So not sure where to go with that other than replace the starter. I cleaned all the grounds and contacts. the batter cables get warm with resistance which could indicate the starter going out. 

Any ideas yall?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am on the right track for pumping fuel into the carb rather than dumping fuel into the carb. It seems to cooperate better and comes close for starting. I think I am going to have to replace the starter and get a better battery. I don’t think the starter is up to the task of cranking that beast anymore.