4 hours ago, 1990Eliminator said:

Hello all. 

MPG for 1989 20/23

MPG for 1990 17/22

why? 

Thank you in advance. 

John 

It could be a number of things.  If the trucks have different transmissions, gears, 2wd vs 4wd it will make a huge difference.  If they have the same driveline, I'd suspect the 90 may just need a tune up or has more mileage/wear/lived a harder life.  Something as simple as different sag rate in the springs/suspension could throw off the aerodynamics of the truck and give you worse gas mileage.  Keep in mind these things are 30+ years old.

Even still 17/22 is pretty decent for gas mileage.  My auto trans XJ and MJ get about 19mpg and 21mpg respectively on the highway.  My 5 speed MJ gets around 21-23mpg highway if I don't drive it hard.

13 hours ago, Dzimm said:

It could be a number of things.  If the trucks have different transmissions, gears, 2wd vs 4wd it will make a huge difference.  If they have the same driveline, I'd suspect the 90 may just need a tune up or has more mileage/wear/lived a harder life.  Something as simple as different sag rate in the springs/suspension could throw off the aerodynamics of the truck and give you worse gas mileage.  Keep in mind these things are 30+ years old.

Even still 17/22 is pretty decent for gas mileage.  My auto trans XJ and MJ get about 19mpg and 21mpg respectively on the highway.  My 5 speed MJ gets around 21-23mpg highway if I don't drive it hard.

The amount of lift on a vehicle (above stock ride height) will also decrease fuel economy.  I discovered that when I lifted my first XJ.  Fuel economy dropped about 1.5MPG by adding 2 inches of lift.