Smokeyyank

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Headed up to Grand lake with the fam for a trip. Stopped to grab a few beverages. Wanted to grab the Wood Boss Czech pilsner but none available picked up the Vienna larger and pretty tasty. Little maltier than I would normal go but still good. 

IMG_20210725_174553408_HDR.jpg

Been going about a million miles per hour and so many projects but my own lately. Yesterday was time to pump the brakes. 

F6261A94-76E7-48DC-836C-BCBE90DBA938.jpeg.dfa0bbecc487c153b5598d5302b55ac9.jpeg
17929A27-0D11-45F6-9715-4B6496068C72.jpeg.9f46dda5daa40fc45ea96fa47bbfce99.jpeg

Not sure if this will turn out to be a blackberry porter, a blueberry porter, or some combination of the two perhaps with a splash of vanilla. I’ve got a week to figure it out before adding whatever at the secondary. 

On 7/25/2021 at 8:14 PM, Smokeyyank said:

Headed up to Grand lake with the fam for a trip. Stopped to grab a few beverages. Wanted to grab the Wood Boss Czech pilsner but none available picked up the Vienna larger and pretty tasty. Little maltier than I would normal go but still good. 

IMG_20210725_174553408_HDR.jpg

A few years ago I was in Denver on vacation. I left a brewery and started walking down the block. Ended up stumbling (metaphorically and also probably physically) into Woods Boss on what happened to be their 1st day open. Really liked what I tried there. Cool owners too.

Racked my porter to the secondary today. Added five pounds of blackberries too.

94D00324-396A-428A-A1B5-D38E02245E42.jpeg.5e48fccd5aab28f206ff5a09cb816749.jpeg
2EA27BE5-257E-4F0E-B66F-5C4BEB0F3F66.jpeg.d6bb858e2e8bacc56ace61bc99714670.jpeg

Trying to come up with a catchy name now. “Blackberry bloodbath porter”? Might add a splash of vanilla before bottling too. 

1 hour ago, Smokeyyank said:

Looks tasty! How long you been brewing for? 

I’ve been making alcohol for almost ten years now. It started with a simple whiskey recipe and then turned into a challenge of how cheap I could fabricate a still. Things escalated from there. Liquor is fun but you also only get about 20% of keepable product from what you start with. Beer is SO much more relaxing to brew and you get a bigger yield. It’s never a bad day when you can sit in the barn for a day with family and get through three batches of different beer recipes. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Geez, I've been slacking. Haven't posted anything here for over a year and I know I've been drinking my fair share.

Anywho, shifted away from IPAs lately and been drinking more pilsners and lagers. My go-to as of late has been helles style lagers. Picked up this Beer Flavored Beer from Willey roots in CO. It's decent not a top pick for me. One I've really been liking is Lightshine Helles from Wibby. 

IMG_20221126_171021572.jpg

Welp its beer 30. Picked up a few that I've had before but never put them up here. First is Chasing Ghost from Epic. Double dry hopped double IPA at 10%. Grabs you by the short and curlies and is dangerously smooth. I rarely grab them but wanted something with some octane to kick off the night. Next is Single speed from Vail brewing. It's a Kolsch style and super delicious. Really smooth and well balanced. Not a typical fall/winter beer but all around a great choice in my opinion. 

IMG_20221202_181542987.jpg

IMG_20221202_165142817.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Happy new year! While carefully curating my selection for the evening I stumbled into a old friend. Man Beer from Bull & Bush. It's a Colorado IPA, really well balanced between malt and hops. B&B and Man beer have a special spot in my heart. My good friend used to live right next to B&B after our ungrad so it was our regular spot. Practically lived there and Man Beer was the go to. So much of a spot I have one of the tap handles on my kegerator. It's still one of the few places I get giddy to goto. Highly recommend stopping in if you're ever in Denver. Over in Glendale which is by Cherry Creek. Place has been a staple for decades. I remember talking to my grandpa and tell him we found this great brewery. When he asked what it was he was like, "Used to be my watering hole! Can't believe it's still around." 

Hope everyone has a safe and fun new years! 

IMG_20221231_173640031_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221231_172040069.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Happy Friday! Picked up this helles lager from cerebral brewing in Denver. Really good, crisp and clean. Well balanced and easy to drink. Yes I should be sipping stouts and porters based on the season but just can't. Never been a fan of darker beers. 

1 hour ago, Smokeyyank said:

Happy Friday! Picked up this helles lager from cerebral brewing in Denver. Really good, crisp and clean. Well balanced and easy to drink. Yes I should be sipping stouts and porters based on the season but just can't. Never been a fan of darker beers. 

Any style of beer is great, any season, on any day that ends with 'y'.

1 hour ago, 87MJTIM said:

Any style of beer is great, any season, on any day that ends with 'y'.

As my grandfather would say, "my favorite beer is in my hand and cold". A while ago I went a food and beer pairing event that was interesting. I do feel beer can be paired well with food but drinking a full pint of some let alone a sixer is a challenge. Had a peanut butter stout few weeks ago. Really good for a sip or two but no way I can drink a pint.