89 factory original

I stumbled across this a few weeks ago. I am not a Jeep guy but I work with several fanatics. They are always talking Jeep and everybody seems to be on the look out for one of these. Price was right. Now what do I do? I'm more of a restorer, I just finished a 99 suburban back to factory. But this is Jeep. Mods are the norm. But this thing is in such great factory shape I hesitate to change it. All my buddies are telling me lift it and 4 wheel drive conversion. If the body needed work or a new interior, etc I would convert it. But it's such good factory shape. It has survived. I hate to change that. This seems to be turning into a family project as my Dad has had it more than I have. He has polished it, found and fixed some electrical issues, got one door realigned and messed with the weather stripping to alleviate wind noise. If I ever get home, I'm going to detail the engine bay and get the AC working again (hope it's just coolant). After that, who knows????

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Totally agree with fiatslug and I am biased also. Nice truck and great find! The paint is looking good from the polishing, don't change a thing just keep refreshing and replacing the little stuff. 

Plans are flexible. New tires, MAYBE the Eliminator rims if I can find them. Stick the Eliminator decals back on (possibly repaint). I want to paint the JEEP on the tailgate. Install a front bumper capable of holding a winch so I can do some off-road even in 2wd. And quite possibly a roll bar with some old skool KC lites (or modern LED equivalents). The whole 80s vibe. Just like the one my Dad had when I was 17. Plans could definitely change but that's how I'm leaning now.

I stumbled across this a few weeks ago. I am not a Jeep guy but I work with several fanatics. They are always talking Jeep and everybody seems to be on the look out for one of these. Price was right. Now what do I do? I'm more of a restorer, I just finished a 99 suburban back to factory. But this is Jeep. Mods are the norm. But this thing is in such great factory shape I hesitate to change it. All my buddies are telling me lift it and 4 wheel drive conversion. If the body needed work or a new interior, etc I would convert it. But it's such good factory shape. It has survived. I hate to change that. This seems to be turning into a family project as my Dad has had it more than I have. He has polished it, found and fixed some electrical issues, got one door realigned and messed with the weather stripping to alleviate wind noise. If I ever get home, I'm going to detail the engine bay and get the AC working again (hope it's just coolant). After that, who knows????

Before anyone else says it, your grill is upside down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s a guy who makes vinyl decals for the jeep emblem on the tailgate so no paint necessary. Also, this is just my personally opinion, but I’d leave the stock front bumper on it. Stock height 2wd just doesn’t fit right to me. I’ve got nothing against an Offroad vehicle, but I have my Cherokee to beat up and molest and it’s 4wd so it’ll go better. 2wd and offroad just leaves something to be desired on the east coast. Out west you can huck 2wd trucks through the air, but in the east 2wd usually means sliding into a tree.
7754cb4a8e59490d2cf15c6c03aa49c1.jpg
Here’s a little roll bar action for you. I’ve kept mine stock minus drivetrain upgrades (still all in the jeep family), adding a rear swap bar, and putting some TJ wheels on it. These things are super fun to scoot around in and I’ve ran the autocross a few times with mine and had a blast.
bd3e1d518bc16e775dbc284e36e12ef4.jpg
And here’s my beater.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually just located a set of rims today.  Probably drive out to get them (200 miles) sometime next week. A few days ago I Found a roll bar in my town on craiglist but somebody swooped it up before I could get there.  Had to wait til payday (tomorrow).

On 1/4/2020 at 9:36 AM, SatiricalHen said:

… There’s a guy who makes vinyl decals for the jeep emblem on the tailgate so no paint necessary. 

I got my stickers at http://www.jeepsticker.com/ .   The guy was great to deal with and his products are very good … and inexpensive … about $15 for the tailgate stickers. 

Today's projects. Reinstalled painted valve cover and new gasket. Painted and reinstalled master cylinder cover. Replace the front vacuum harness since I broke it removing the valve cover. Also had to figure out new hoses and adapters to replace the EVAP canister vacuum line as I broke it also. They don't make those anymore.

Tried with touch up paint to redo the Comanche badge edging. Looks great from 20 feet. Up close...not so much. Think I'm going to try spray paint then sand it off the letter. Little soft wire brush I have seems to work pretty good without messing up the Chrome.c93a59a3d6fc72dbe08c5b3ef1f0cafd.jpg2495b2fe39feadb456dc4858ebdaec22.jpg84b33d9b01e78052c1397e2f942dc350.jpg2dcc3de68b279056a4c5d893e8e5a472.jpg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I was thinking about this build and the factory look with a winch. You could use the boostwerks comp mount with the stock bumper or there a guy I think bad dad fab or something like that who also makes a hidden winch mount. Stealth and useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second the hidden winch idea with a stock front bumper. Either that or a front hitch setup with a winch in a receiver. I'm working on that myself right now. I just installed my new Scarfab (Krustyballer) rear hitch, and the front one is next. The front hitch can be had from Amazon or anywhere you can get hitch stuff.