Knock on the door?

Dzimm

I've known where this truck lives for a couple years now.  It's always in the same spot and never looks like it moves, however it always has yard waste in it and it's rarely the same waste as the time before.  it appears to be well maintained however and I imagine it's only used for hauling stuff.  This truck has bugged me forever because I want to know more about it... Errr maybe I just want the truck I haven't decided, it's very clean looking for an Iowa truck.

Would it be weird to knock on the door?   The mailbox is on the house itself so I can't just slip a card in it on my way by.  These are Google Street view pictures, didn't take them myself.

230175501.png

568145153.png

Snag the VIN and we can find out what all shes got. No its not weird. When I was in WA recently my girlfriend told me about an MJ Laredo and I sure as hell went right up to the door and met a sweet old lady who had that truck since new that her husband bought for her and has had it since.

1 minute ago, eaglescout526 said:

Wouldn't hurt to knock and ask especially if your truck is present.

Yeah I always thought I'd stop with my truck so I've got some credibility.   Saturday looks like it'll be nice out, maybe I'll take a trip over there.  :comanche:

I get people stopping to ask about the crap in my driveway from time to time.

I don't mind talking normally, as long as people are nice.

Go knock on the door.

(I had a FSJ enthusiast stop to talk, he insulted my MJ collection... :fistshake1:  So that's what I mean about being nice.)

1 minute ago, DirtyComanche said:

Exact words were "Those aren't even rare, and they're junk."

Thanks. :(

Crazy.  I'm surprised how few people around here know they even exist, pay enough attention to notice it's a Jeep, or care at all.  In the 3+ years I've had MJs, I've only ever had two people acknowledge my trucks and one was a young kid in a very built Wrangler and the other an older guy in a super nice XJ from Ohio with a "save the squares" decal on the back.   Nice truck and a thumbs up respectively.  

The Jeep wave doesn't exist at all, even for built XJs that are obviously used offroad.  I got flipped off once by a guy in an XJ.

1 minute ago, Dzimm said:

Crazy.  I'm surprised how few people around here know they even exist, pay enough attention to notice it's a Jeep, or care at all.  In the 3+ years I've had MJs, I've only ever had two people acknowledge my trucks and one was a young kid in a very built Wrangler and the other an older guy in a super nice XJ from Ohio with a "save the squares" decal on the back.   Nice truck and a thumbs up respectively.  

The Jeep wave doesn't exist at all, even for built XJs that are obviously used offroad.  I got flipped off once by a guy in an XJ.

This blows my mind. I've had a dozen or so people stop and talk to me about mine. And mine sure isn't too pretty. I talked to a guy at the gas station Tuesday for a good 10 minutes. 

I've had some people ask about LR and I've had two XJ owners appreciate her. Jeep wave is dead here. 97-01 XJ owners don't care. YJ owners shrug. TJ owners just daily and modern Jeep people are just ignorant. 

Had one butthead come up to the door and ask if I'm selling her. Had another one ask the same at a gas station. Both were Hispanic wanting a work truck.

Funny note. Had a guy come in for a radiator fan for his BU renegade and he said he regrets buying the turd. I told him its because it isn't a real Jeep and he agreed.

4 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

He wanted to see the Gladiator cab that was in my shop, so as we were walking by the other stuff the was parked out front I said "Oh, I've got a Mercedes diesel that's hopefully going to go into that one (pointing at the 89 MJ)" which was right after he'd asked how big the tires were on my XJ, and then had said looked awesome, that was parked in front of if. :confused:

I don't even understand why he would have followed it up with that comment. :crazy:

Anywho, knock on the door.  Just be nice. :roflmao:

6 minutes ago, JMO413 said:

This blows my mind. I've had a dozen or so people stop and talk to me about mine. And mine sure isn't too pretty. I talked to a guy at the gas station Tuesday for a good 10 minutes. 

Yeah I don't know if it's because I'm closer to Des Moines or what.  I don't see much for older vehicles at all except for the occasional muscle car in the well to do towns.  Tons and tons and tons of imports and tuners tho. 

3 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

He wanted to see the Gladiator cab that was in my shop, so as we were walking by the other stuff the was parked out front I said "Oh, I've got a Mercedes diesel that's hopefully going to go into that one (pointing at the 89 MJ)" which was right after he'd asked how big the tires were on my XJ, and then had said looked awesome, that was parked in front of if. :confused:

I don't even understand why he would have followed it up with that comment. :crazy:

Anywho, knock on the door.  Just be nice. :roflmao:

Why is tires size always asked first? There is one of those diesel mercs for sale around here, immediately thought about it going in an MJ. Lol.  It's crazy what people say sometimes.  

Yeah nice it is. 

1 minute ago, Dzimm said:

Why is tires size always asked first? There is one of those diesel mercs for sale around here, immediately thought about it going in an MJ. Lol.  It's crazy what people say sometimes. 

I think tire size is always an easy opener question.  I know I do it.  I see a truck with big mud tars on it and if I want to see if they're a 4x4 person I always say something like "Nice tires, those Toyos, what are they, 35s?" or something like that.  I could just look at the tire close enough to read it, but if I'm looking to make conversation it seems easier not to.  But in this context it's weird, he was there to talk about the FSJ junk, but maybe he thought complimenting the XJ (that obviously has a ton of time and money into it) would butter me up if there was something he wanted to buy off me.   If that was the case he killed any chance of it by insulting the MJ behind it, in fact he guaranteed that I didn't give an f' and was going to probably throw stuff out before selling it to him. :nuts:

My diesel swap bogged down pretty badly due to the adapter.  Currently do not recommend it. :roflmao:

1 hour ago, Dzimm said:

Didn't think about snagging the VIN, only a few steps off the sidewalk I suppose.

I think it looks a lot weirder to have someone snooping around a vehicle parked in the driveway rather than just knocking on the door and introducing yourself. I've had more than one person drive into my place and just start looking over my Cherokees. They usually aren't very happy when I walk up behind them with my hand on a gun and ask "CAN I HELP YOU?" in a very loud voice.

23 minutes ago, Eagle said:

I think it looks a lot weirder to have someone snooping around a vehicle parked in the driveway rather than just knocking on the door and introducing yourself. I've had more than one person drive into my place and just start looking over my Cherokees. They usually aren't very happy when I walk up behind them with my hand on a gun and ask "CAN I HELP YOU?" in a very loud voice.

Definitely wouldn't stay for longer than snap picture of VIN and keep moving.  Definitely don't like the idea of snooping around people's stuff. 

In my town, I have knocked on doors to two houses to speak to owners, stopped at a hotel to ask about the owner (who worked there), and ended up in a conversation with the another customer in Autozone who was the boyfriend of a gal who had a red Comanche (what is it about that color?). He called her and she came by. Point being, simply inquiring and expressing a mutual interest in the truck that both of you possess will go over well.....and easy, especially if yours is there too.

Slying over and taking pictures....well, Eagle addressed that.

Knock on the door for sure. And complement the truck right away. I have friends and relatives that have bought desireable houses that were not listed for sale by knocking on a door.

I have had people leave notes on the windshield asking if the MJ is for sale.  I always return the call. Often, the person leaving the note had one before and regretted selling it. When one is parked at the mechanic's shop I use, he routinely has people stop and ask if the MJ is for sale. I have purchased things that were not listed for sale, including real estate. MJs are a thing unto their themselves. Guys on motorcycles and new F150s giving thumbs up or shouting favorable comments flying down the expressway or in traffic. Drivers of old XJs always notice. At work, new Porches and Teslas populate the parking lot, but it is the old MJ that starts conversations.

Knock. It’s the proper way to start any conversation on a stranger’s property. 

“Hi, I noticed that you have a Comanche. There aren’t many of them around. I have one too. - Do you mind if I look at yours for a minute to see how it’s similar and different than mine so I can learn more about them? I promise I won’t touch anything, just look.”

My opinion - Anyone who says “no” to the above should sell the MJ they own because they own it for the wrong reasons. There is no harm in looking and not touching. 

Knocking is how I came to be an MJ owner with my ‘88 back in 2005. 

7 minutes ago, 500 MJ said:

Knock. It’s the proper way to start any conversation on a stranger’s property. 

“Hi, I noticed that you have a Comanche. There aren’t many of them around. I have one too. - Do you mind if I look at yours for a minute to see how it’s similar and different than mine so I can learn more about them? I promise I won’t touch anything, just look.”

My opinion - Anyone who says “no” to the above should sell the MJ they own because they own it for the wrong reasons. There is no harm in looking and not touching. 

Knocking is how I came to be an MJ owner with my ‘88 back in 2005. 

This, and as to responses like it above. We have had some items missing in my neighborhood of late. So, if someone is snooping, they may be meet with more than attitude. See Eagles post. And once you cross that line, you have little chance of making a friends. If not there, maybe leave a note.

I did have some cars covered at my place. They were Saab Sonnets.  The lady left a note as her son needed a windshield for a Nissan 240, the newer ones. I called back and suggested Car-Parts,inc. The website, there is a salvage yard out by me with the same name. I bought some axles last week from them, and they are listed on Car-Part.inc, too. 

12 hours ago, Dzimm said:

Definitely wouldn't stay for longer than snap picture of VIN and keep moving.  Definitely don't like the idea of snooping around people's stuff. 

And you seriously don't think that's weird? If I saw you doing that in my yard, I would call the cops. Just act like a civilized human being and knock on the door.