I'm back!

Maveric

After a several year hiatus (last i logged in was 2013 WOW!) I stumbled across my old stomping grounds!

Hello everyone who may remember me with my 1988 Comanche Pioneer! It's been a long long road...

If anyone remembers me, please say hello! we probably have a lot of catching up to do...

Anyway I thought I'd drop back in and let you know I'm still alive! Now it's time to go catch up on what I missed for the last 6 years...

Hi everyone, I'm Silvertwinkiehobo, and I'm a friend of Maveric...I signed on because I'll be helping him rehab his rig, to get it back on the road. We're only concentrating right now on fixing the fuel tank and pump, the clutch hydraulic system and getting tires on it, in order to pass TX state inspection and get it licensed.

Hey hobo! welcome aboard!

Yeah the truck went out sometime in 2012/2013 when my foot went to the floor trying to change gears... clutch went out... well it sat up at my dads place, and owning at the time the 03 p71 I never got around to fixing it... well years went by like they do, the 03 blew a ujoint and broke the driveshaft and it got junked, replaced by an 08 p71, and yet more time passed... and then i bought my first house and the truck had to go... so it sat at my place, and i kept meaning to get around to it, but work and repairing the house, being married with small children... kept putting it off...

Well... long story short, I've come a long way mechanically and its time to get it running again and not just sitting in my garage...

So I got the parts to repair the BA10 (yes i know, perfect time to swap it, but that'll come later, I need the truck to get the transmission home) and have been working on it the last few days, pulling the transmission, and refreshing the engine... this summer I had replaced the fuel tank and sending unit, since it had sat up for so long the fuel could strip paint... unfortunately no one makes an MJ sender and I had to use a XJ sender...

Anyway long story short, It's going to be breathing again soon, and I'll be happy to drive it again... I just wonder where all the years have gone!

2 hours ago, Maveric said:

After a several year hiatus (last i logged in was 2013 WOW!) I stumbled across my old stomping grounds!

Hello everyone who may remember me with my 1988 Comanche Pioneer! It's been a long long road...

If anyone remembers me, please say hello! we probably have a lot of catching up to do...

Anyway I thought I'd drop back in and let you know I'm still alive! Now it's time to go catch up on what I missed for the last 6 years...

Welcome back. You won't know me but if your truck is in the registry, I went through and curated every VIN with a build date. If you would like I can provide a build sheet for you truck. slight problem with them is Chrysler has reused some sales codes over the years so everything may not be as accurate as it should be when AMC built it. All the 89-92 have accurate info.

Welcome back! 

I was here before you, went on hiatus (married, house, kids, etc) before you got here and now I’m back as well. Managed to keep both my trucks in the limbo thankfully :)

Check this out, some things have changed in the MJ world while you were away: 

I think I have a pic of it; Mav and his wife flew me down to their place and back for my birthday, and I seem to recall I snapped a pic of it in the garage. Since it's been garages since they bought their house, it's all dry, tires are aired up, and when we finished the tank/pump install, we were able to drop a battery in and fired it up for a few seconds (the fuel fitting began leaking at the hose crimp). Well, the pic's on my laptop, so I'll post it later.

• 2 weeks later...

After 6 long years, one new clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, master cylinder... New gas tank, cherokee fuel hanger, new fuel line... New fluids... New battery.... And a bit of coaxing... She lives again!

After changing her fluids and adjusting her brakes i took her around the block.... Darn speedometer doesnt work... I think the cable might be broken? Looking online at the local parts houses theres a short 38" and a long 92"... Anyone know what length is in an 88 comanche with a 4.0 4wd with the Peugeot trans?

Soooo, We've done some diagnosis (me here in WA, Maveric in TX), and it is apparent the cable is good, the speedo head is good, and the coupling between the cable, speedometer adapter and driven gear is good and drives the speedo without any jumping. But when installed, the speedo jumps around a few times, then stops; I postulated the gear mesh is messed up somehow. But, Maveric is worried about speedo error, as he's getting new tires tomorrow (has 235/75/15s, and will be getting same size replacements). We want to use the correction chart on the Quadratec website, but he doesn't know his rear axle ratio. Where would that be found? Pumpkin tag? Body buck tag? I've worked on many, many Jeeps but I've never had to suss out pumpkin ratios.

Simplest way (other than looking at a tag) is to jack up the rear end.  Spin the tires two full turns and count the turns of the drive shaft.  Divide that by 2.  That is your ratio.  ( I've always heard to do two turns of the tires to allow for the fractional turn.  For example:  ~6.2 is easier to eyeball then ~3.07)

From the factory, a 4.0 5 spd will have 3.07 gears, 4.0 auto will have 3.55 gears

that seems like extra math. :D  Tim, your method might be important if we needed an exact number, but there are only so many ratios for the Jeep axles and so if it's about 3, you have 3.07.  if it's about 3 and a half, you have 3.55.  If there were infinite possibilities, then yes, spinning them more and dividing sounds like it'd be a bit easier to get accurate.  :L: 

I just jack up one tire and spin it twice.  (unless it's a posi, and then you have to rotate both tires once).  It's super easy if you have a helper to spin the tire.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... Looks like ill be doing the radiator change sooner than later... My radiator which is about 12 years old... Blew out... So looks like its time to save up and snag all the parts for the open system...

Of course this happens right after a new belt, plugs, and wires too...

• 4 months later...
On 11/21/2019 at 8:22 PM, Pete M said:

you don't have to do the whole conversion at once.  I'm running an open rad (with rad cap) with the closed system. :L: 

That's what we eventually did. Ran into a snag with the replacement radiator, though. Joe or myself put a big hole in two or three tubes. *sigh* On Monday, when we ran up to a junkyard North of Waco for parts from a Cougar for my Ranchero, he spotted a beautiful '93 Cherokee 2-door, and for all the high miles, it was clean and straight in and out. We grabbed the rad, expansion and washer bottles, bracket, heater control valve, and a few other minor bits and pieces. Got it installed, burped and he's driving it as we speak. We're going to wait till we can install the bracket and bottle to install this control valve and remove the reservoir bottle, piping and plate. We also dealt with a non-working speedo; it was something with the gear and housing below, but it now works.