When that one person decide to waste your time.

Blaine.D

Well someone decided today to pull 10-15 feet of my winch cable out and lay in out in the parking lot. I would appreciate suggestions and ideas about how to lock my winch cable up so no one can walk up to it and do something like this. IMG_20190829_151857202_HDR.jpg.f0f6e76642a9aeab28ce91bc5cdbddd2.jpg

4 minutes ago, Blaine.D said:

Well someone decided today to pull 10-15 feet of my winch cable out and lay in out in the parking lot. I would appreciate suggestions and ideas about how to lock my winch cable up so no one can walk up to it and do something like this. 

:fistshake1: maybe it time to get dashcam with motion sensor.

Just now, MJXJjeepguy said:

:fistshake1: maybe it time to get dashcam with motion sensor.

I was already thinking about getting one so if anyone got a good suggestion for one. I would appreciate it. Just was trying to see if someone had a cheap and easier solution to lock a winch cable. 

3 minutes ago, Blaine.D said:

I was already thinking about getting one so if anyone got a good suggestion for one. I would appreciate it. Just was trying to see if someone had a cheap and easier solution to lock a winch cable. 

Walmart sell one I can't remember what name but one that cost $99 it work and worth it best to get one with motion sensor so it don't record for no reason and myself never own winch so i have no idea how to lock, I sure someone here have good idea.

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

it is ALWAYS time to get a dash cam with motion sensor.  :grinyes:  mine cost $22 shipped plus 6 bucks for a card.

Well I'm for sure getting one now since someone forgot that kindergarten rule of not touching stuff that you don't own.:laugh:

I went with this one for the Libby, and because it rotates a lot to accommodate a vertical glass I'll be adding one to the rear window too.  I'm doing it because I want to catch the aggressive drivers on the roads in Atlanta (should an accident happen near me but not include me, I want to hand the cop some proof of their insane antics), but you could also use it on the back window of a truck to keep tabs on the bed. :L: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-Camera-HD-Car-DVR-Dash-Cam-Video-Recorder-G-Sensor-1080P-WiFi-Parking-Mode/283512976933?hash=item4202b0b625%3Ag%3AZd4AAOSw4O5c~1Bm&LH_ItemCondition=1000

I have this one in the Durango.  no reason that its different, I just bought it first and didn't yet know about the style I put in the Libby.  both give good video.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anytek-X28-FHD-1080P-150-Dash-Cam-Car-DVR-Camera-Recorder-WiFi-ADAS-G-sens-W4H1/303255508978?hash=item469b6fd7f2%3Ag%3AKJEAAOSwVcFdMJIC&LH_ItemCondition=1000

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I went with this one for the Libby, and because it rotates a lot to accommodate a vertical glass I'll be adding one to the rear window too.  I'm doing it because I want to catch the aggressive drivers on the roads in Atlanta (should an accident happen near me but not include me, I want to hand the cop some proof of their insane antics), but you could also use it on the back window of a truck to keep tabs on the bed. :L: 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-Camera-HD-Car-DVR-Dash-Cam-Video-Recorder-G-Sensor-1080P-WiFi-Parking-Mode/283512976933?hash=item4202b0b625%3Ag%3AZd4AAOSw4O5c~1Bm&LH_ItemCondition=1000

I have this one in the Durango.  no reason that its different, I just bought it first and didn't yet know about the style I put in the Libby.  both give good video.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anytek-X28-FHD-1080P-150-Dash-Cam-Car-DVR-Camera-Recorder-WiFi-ADAS-G-sens-W4H1/303255508978?hash=item469b6fd7f2%3Ag%3AKJEAAOSwVcFdMJIC&LH_ItemCondition=1000

Thanks Pete, I appreciate it and I will go check them out.

Are those cameras powered by small batteries and need to be turned on and off manually? Recently while parked at Home Depot, someone hit my MJ and bent the rear bumper. The store manager said they could not show me their security camera recording unless I filed a police report. Is it practical to connect the video camera to the truck battery and leave it on all the time? And where can I find a bumper with artillery charges built in like in James Bond movies?

54 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

Are those cameras powered by small batteries and needed to be turned on and off manually? Recently while parked at Home Depot, someone hit my MJ and bent the rear bumper. The store manager said they could not show me their security camera recording unless I filed a police report. Is it practical to connect the video camera to the truck battery and leave it on all the time? And where can I find a bumper with artillery charges built in like James Bond movies?

Usually plugged into the cigarette lighter/power port. They also usually have built-in batteries or supercapacitors. They can also be hard-wired generally to ignition-on power, usually by using a 12v to 5v converter. Some have standby modes that will let the camera idle overnight and turn on if it detects motion or acceleration.

I've got a bumper with artillery shells in stock right now! They go fast, so be sure to buy quickly.

15 minutes ago, Blaine.D said:

If anyone curious I am going to figure out a  long term solution but for now, a cheap gun lock will do the trick. Only let about 2 inches out of winch cable then the locks stops it.:banana:IMG_20190829_192913239.jpg.42850a813241dfc2621a161f0da13341.jpg

Can't someone pull out the two inches,  and just pull 2 inches on the other side of the eye then, then 4 inches, then 8 inches, etc..

It's a good deterrent though, hopefully some dumba$$ doesn't want to take the time to do that.

9 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

Can't someone pull out the two inches,  and just pull 2 inches on the other side of the eye then, then 4 inches, then 8 inches, etc..

It's a good deterrent though, hopefully some dumba$$ doesn't want to take the time to do that.

Well that's why I going to come up with a better solution. My best guess is someone looked at my truck and saw the cable hook on my d ring, decided it would be funny to pull it out. They probably be too lazy to fight the lock to pull it out more. So I doubt they going to take the time to do it.

8 minutes ago, krustyballer16 said:

When its "engaged" isnt it locked by the gears?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yes but my winch you have to leave it unengaged when not in use to prevent damage.

Yes but my winch you have to leave it unengaged when not in use to prevent damage.
Hmmm. I've never heard of that causing damage. But I've also never read it's ok lol. I just always leave mine engaged cuz usually when I need it its buried in mud and I don't wanna dig and mess with the knob.
But, having it engaged still wouldnt stop someone from doing the same thing...

1 minute ago, krustyballer16 said:

Hmmm. I've never heard of that causing damage. But I've also never read it's ok lol. I just always leave mine engaged cuz usually when I need it its buried in mud and I don't wanna dig and mess with the knob.
But, having it engaged still wouldnt stop someone from doing the same thing...

I don't if it does or not. The owners manual for the winch says in to leave disengage while not in use and on the instruction sticker on the winch. My thoughts is it may cause damage because why would Traveller/ who ever makes them go through the effort of putting that in two spots if it didn't matter.:dunno:

Just now, krustyballer16 said:

Makes sense. I've had people say they don't leave it engaged just in case it some how kicks on and starts reeling in or out on it's own but that seems very unlikely to happen

I never heard of that happening but anything possible with electronics and wireless remotes. :dunno:

There is nothing wrong with leaving the free spool clutch engaged.  In fact, most people do leave it engaged, to retain tension on the cable.  The cable should be wound in under tension before the first use, and the clutch left engaged to maintain that tension.

To prevent accidental use, one could:  disconnect a cable at the battery, not leave wired/wireless remotes plugged in when not in use, install quick disconnects on the power cables (what I did).

Although a different topic, if someone did this to my Jeep, as a prank... first, if they knew me, they wouldn't do it.  If they did, I might give them the benefit of the doubt, and a serious talking to.  Most likely, I would go hands on.  In some circles of friends this might be ok.  Not in any of mine.  If it really was a stranger, I would probably make a police report, not because I believe in the police fighting my battles for me, but to demonstrate to whoever did it how seriously I take it.

One approach to preventing this would be to make some kind of way to "lock" the free spool lever, so it could not be disengaged.  That cable lock is doing nothing, that cable could still be pulled out all the way.

6 hours ago, Eagle said:

Speaking as a Vietnam veteran:

Claymore mine

If only I could get way with doing that.:laugh:

5 hours ago, schardein said:

There is nothing wrong with leaving the free spool clutch engaged.  In fact, most people do leave it engaged, to retain tension on the cable.  The cable should be wound in under tension before the first use, and the clutch left engaged to maintain that tension.

To prevent accidental use, one could:  disconnect a cable at the battery, not leave wired/wireless remotes plugged in when not in use, install quick disconnects on the power cables (what I did).

Although a different topic, if someone did this to my Jeep, as a prank... first, if they knew me, they wouldn't do it.  If they did, I might give them the benefit of the doubt, and a serious talking to.  Most likely, I would go hands on.  In some circles of friends this might be ok.  Not in any of mine.  If it really was a stranger, I would probably make a police report, not because I believe in the police fighting my battles for me, but to demonstrate to whoever did it how seriously I take it.

One approach to preventing this would be to make some kind of way to "lock" the free spool lever, so it could not be disengaged.  That cable lock is doing nothing, that cable could still be pulled out all the way.

As I know of right now I don't think any of my friends did that. My best guess is someone was walking by and pull it to be funny because about a foot of cable was out because I have it hooked onto the dring on my bumper so it was probably an easy target for someone to be an a****** . I'm going to go to administration and see what are my options and if there are any cameras pointed at the parking lot.Other than that it's high school and somehow it's cool to screw with people's cars/trucks.